8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Connecting EUMIG to Amplifier (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Connecting EUMIG to Amplifier
Henry Perangelo
Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Henry Perangelo   Email Henry Perangelo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with connecting an EUMIG (810 or 824) to an amplifier for playback. I notice that "line output" is a female five pin din connector. I have a EUMIG plug that is a three pin male which doesn't seem to work. If you have experience please provide connection details.

Thanks,
-Henry-

|  IP: Logged

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the manual, line output uses a three-pin plug and a 100 kohm source is between pins 2 (earth) and pin 3.

--------------------
Tim

Henry Perangelo
Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Henry Perangelo   Email Henry Perangelo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any experience with connecting an EUMIG (810 or 824) to an amplifier for playback. I notice that "line output" is a female five pin din connector. I have a EUMIG plug that is a three pin male which doesn't seem to work. If you have experience please provide connection details.

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2003 03:55 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems inherently improbable that a manufacturer who wanted to stay in business would go to the trouble of providing a dummy connection and false documentation for a non-existent function!

For the record, the line output on my 810 does work. The output level seems a little high for the phono input of a modern amplifier. The CD input may be more suitable.

--------------------
Tim

Henry Perangelo
Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Henry Perangelo   Email Henry Perangelo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply Tim.

When you connect to "line output" (on EUMIG) to your amplifier for playback, is sound to the internal speaker cut? When I do
this connection I still get sound out of the internal speaker.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

-Henry-

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2003 12:42 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I may jump in here, no the internal speaker does not get cut off when connecting an Eumig to an external amplifier via the 5 pin din socket. Good luck.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 29, 2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Henry,
The projector's internal speaker is only disconnected when you plug in the 2-pin external SPEAKER connector. When you use the line output to go through an external amplifier, the projector speaker is still functional and you can operate it independently of the external amplifier system. It is a good idea to connect the line output into a 10 band graphic equalizer and then into the amplifier, so that you can filter out the 50 or 60 hz hum which is the plague of the Eumig 800 series projectors. The 900 series Eumigs have very low hum, but even with these machines (or any 8mm projectors for that matter) an equalizer really can make a huge difference in sound quality by reducing low frequency hum and rumble, and high frequency hiss. Expect to pay about $85.00 to $150.00 for a Yamaha or Radio Shack equalizer.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 29, 2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Paul about the hum level on the 800 series, it was really bad. Anyone using one of this series of machines can reduce the hum some what by removing the from cover and looking behind the vol control you will see a round coil suspended on a strip of metal. This is the hum buck coil for cancelling out magnetic fields and if moved about a position can be found to give minimum hum. I have to say minimum hum because it can NOT be eliminated. The same thing applies to the Elmo range of machines. Under the heads there are one or two yellow coils deending on the model (one or two tracks) and these can be moved about virtually eliminating all hum.
Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since most amplifiers these days are stereo, it is worth splitting the Eumig's mono output. From the Eumig output, connect two resistors of about 47 kohm, one to each amplifier input. This way you can use both channels. By setting the amplifier's tone controls or equalizer a little differently, you can give a slight stereo effect to the sound.

The Eumig hum is essentially 100 Hz hum. Remove this with a filter on the auxilliary amplifier's inputs.

--------------------
Tim

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 30, 2003 12:09 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tim, I have a couple of Elmos and both have a low end hum when I run them through my Alesis Mixing Board which is connected to 50watt per channel Pioneer receiver/amp. What is the nature of this hum? I have a twenty ban analog eqaulizer in line, but I hate to pull out the hum with it because I also take off some of audio spectrum. Most people would not notice the hum. I'm an audio freak and any unnatural electronic noises really bother me. I've tried different gain ratios, but no luck. Of course, the equalizer does eliminate it and at the same time eliminating the booming bottom end.

Dan

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 30, 2003 06:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim,
100Hz Hum??? USA. Surely it would be 50 or 60Hz as its due to the mag field from the transormer or is it doubled due to the colapsing effect of the mag field. Mag fields and the hum they cause was never one of my forte's.

Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Henry Perangelo
Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2003 08:47 AM      Profile for Henry Perangelo   Email Henry Perangelo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great responses. Thank you all!
I think the info will help.
-Henry-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 30, 2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody ever tried replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply circuits on these projectors? They are very age sensitive, as time passes the electrolyte dries out and their capacitance drops way down. This would contribute to the 100cycle/120cycle hum.

I work for a power supply company and we will not ship product from stock with capacitors over 5 years old, and these are high grade commercial parts, not the cheapy stuff in consumer goods. The failure mode here would be high ripple (hum if the load is audio.)

The benefit would be that a modern electrolytic is smaller than the 1970s equivalent, so you could put a larger cap in and get even better performance than original.

The reason that the folks in the 50 cycle countries are seeing 100 Cycle hum is that the power supply has a full-wave bridge rectifier at the front end, and when you full-wave rectify a sinusoid the frequency doubles. In the land of 60 cycle, we'd get 120 cycle hum for the same reason. This is another reason I suspect the power supply filtering.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 30, 2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Where is a good source for electrolytic capacitors? Do Radio Shack still sell them?
I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that a major source of hum on some S8 sound projectors is due to inadequate shielding of the magnetic sound heads from the strong 50 or 60 hz magnetic fields generated by the massive mains transformers used in these machines.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 30, 2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Thats exactly what I knew to be the case especially as these machines had bad hum from new. And also the fact that most 8mm machines have hum buck coils to cancel out hum induced by magnetic fields tell me that this has always been a problem.
I would still try adjusting the hum buck coil.
I have done this on my GS1200 and the hum level with the vol control full up is virtually non existent as it should be if they are adjusting correctly.

Kevin.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 30, 2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that Radio Shack could help out with electrolytic capacitors(Hadn't thought about it, I was just going to grab a few at work!)

Even if there is a noise cancellation circuit in place, the quality of the supply voltage is going to be a big contributing factor, and at the age of these machines those caps have to be pretty tired.

Just try to find a capacitor which is at least as many Microfarads and at least as many Vdc, and you'll be fine.

Please remember that these are polarity sensitive, and will make a mess of the insides of the projector if they are in backwards.

Tell you what! Next weekend I'll yank the caps out of my projector and bring them to work and measure them. If they are bad I'll replace them and post the results here. (I've been putting this off, now I've got an incentive!)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 08, 2003 09:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
I yanked the electrolytics and brought them to work. They check out fine (much to my surprise, this is usually the reason for hum on old audio equipment).

I'm thinking of putting in new ones of higher quality and value, to at least reduce the ripple on the rails of the sound board.

I'm also wondering if I can sneak some shielding around the sound head and reduce the pickup. (Did they really have to put the main transformer right next to it??!!)

--------------------

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, guys, I have been trying to find a couple of hours to check out the hum on my Eumig. I haven't bothered up til now because it really isn't that bad. However, now I'm building a couple of pipe-loaded speakers for enhanced bass, I must take a look.

Job one is to check the cause: if the 'scope shows 50/60 Hz hum, then it is pick up; if it proves to be 100/120Hz then it is power supply. There doesn't seem to be a hum cancellation facility in the 810D circuit.

I'll post the results as and when.

--------------------
Tim

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 08, 2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds Good Tim,

I don't have a scope at home, and can't bring a movie projector to work and appear to be doing my job!

(They don't like me bringing oscilloscopes home either!)

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 08, 2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim/Steve,
I'm 99.9% sure you will find its 50/60Hz hum form the mains transformer. On the 802 there is a coil suspended behind the volume control. Its in series with the rec/playback head. With the side plate removed it's possible to see it. Moving it arround will have a cancelling effect on the hum heard through the speaker.
I will be interested however Tim on the findings with your scope.

Kevin.

--------------------

Henry Perangelo
Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2003 02:10 PM      Profile for Henry Perangelo   Email Henry Perangelo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got my EUMIG hooked-up to my Amplifier! It turns out that my EUMIG "line-out" plug was bad. I made a new one (with parts from Radio Shack). The sound is wonderful. So, now my sound setup is as follows: from the EUMIG to "Radio Shack 3-Channel Stereo Sound Mixer/Equalizer) and then to my Amplifier. My EUMIG never “sounded” better.

I’m also feeding my 16mm projector to the Mixer/Equalizer, but that is a discussion for another forum...

Everyone thanks for your responses,
-Henry-

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased you had a good result at last, Henry. Trying to get good line-out sound was always, er, 'fun' to say the least

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Henry Perangelo
Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Henry Perangelo   Email Henry Perangelo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mal!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 24, 2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Hum Issue, I noticed it was really bad on my projector when I use the external speaker, not the internal one which is smaller. I figure the designers didn't count on the low frequency response of the external speaker when they designed the ripple filter for the sound board power supply. So I went looking for a modern electrolytic filter capacitor to replace the existing one. I lucked out, I managed to go from 2,200 uF to 5,600 uF in the same sized package.

I would say the hum has dropped out of the obnoxious range, it's not even audible in the bottom half of the volume range. It's definitely still there though, so I'll concede at least a partial victory to the pick-up folks.

did anybody aever make those oscilloscope measurements?

--------------------

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2003 02:16 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, guys. I've been trying to find time to spend half-a-day at it. Just at the moment, I'm squeezed between work (customers are unusually active for the time of year) and trying to get a boat back in the water before the weather breaks!

Next wet day, I'll get down to it - promise! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Tim

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC