8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » re-recording Super 8 sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: re-recording Super 8 sound
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 20, 2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok- I know that we use to have this thread on the old forum but it seems all those messages are long gone!
So- what is the best way to rerecord Super 8 soundtracks using an Elmo GS1200 and a DVD/VCR? And maintaining synch as opposed to doing it "wild" synch?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2003 02:41 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, let's widen this. For those of us too stupid to know when to buy a GS when it stares us in the face, how do we go about recording using say an ST 1200hD OR A GS800?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2003 05:12 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1200HD does not have variable speed control, and that would make the task even more tedious than usual. Even with the fancy sync equipment, there are splices (sometimes in the negative) which can throw everything out of whack. I run a reel and do a "dry run" to see if it stays in sync, then go for a recording attempt. Anticipate where there is missing footage (usually around the original reel changes) and plan accordingly. Work on one print at a time and don't pass GO until you're happy with the first one-otherwise you'll have several films that are "works in progress" which can be a pain. When all goes well, it makes it all worth it. Good Luck!

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 20, 2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
You will need a crystal sync unit which will lock the GS at say 25FPS for the UK system. This will enable you to then sync up with a DVD or VHS Hi-Fi tape. Providing the cuts are the same it is quite straight forward. I have done a number of features this way and the results are quite spectacular.
Sorry Tony, But you did get first refusal on that GS I was selling,I'm just sorry you are regretting it now. And NO you cant have my other one!
Wittners in Germany sell a unit which will plug into the ESS port on the GS and will sync up with all the std frame rates arround the world.
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/06_tonte/a_zweiba.php

Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 20, 2003 10:53 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well.....my german is pretty bad! Well...ok...I dont speak german at all!
Nonetheless I see the numbers 25fps. Do they make a version for 24fps for here in the US? Im a little confused.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 21, 2003 01:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
Yes they do as far as I know. I think the unit will sync at 16, 18, 24 & 25.
Email Mr Deby: wittner-kinotechnik@t-online.de
His English is excellent.
Let me know if you still cant get what you need as I may be able to help. [Wink]
Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2003 02:20 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, no regrets! To be honest, a GS would probably never get the use it deserves and I don't have time to watch films let alone spend the time recording them! Suggest that you hang on to your GS whatever happens in the future! [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2003 03:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith Wilton has a circuit diagram for the original pulse sync' box he developed in the early 80's for use with the GS-1200. This is for PAL video sources but can be put together for a couple of quid. This then feeds into the Cresta Interface and then into the ESS port.

I use one of these units put together from the circuit diagram. Cost next to nothing and it works perfectly. I also use a Cresta VS2000 unit which does the same job. So if you see one of those around and you have a GS-1200 snap it up (providing it's not ridiculously over-priced!).

It's interesting Cresta finally did a unit for sync' pulse because at the time that man Wilton was detailing his solution they couldn't understand why anyone would want to do it. Just as well they got into the market in the end as all these old units are probably knocking around without anyone really knowing what they are for.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 21, 2003 06:37 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Phil at Classic Home Cinema buy all of Cresta's inventory when they went out of business? I wonder if he has any of the Interface units left.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 21, 2003 12:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I aksed Phil this last year but he told me that he had sold it all. I have the circuit for the unit I had built for me. In PDF format. It's just knowing where to get the crystals from.
It will lock at 16, 18, 24 & 25.
The unit does not require the use of any other interfaces and just plugs straight into the ESS socket.
BTW It's important to note that all this will only work on a well serviced machine as any belt slippage or tightness in cogs etc will cause all sorts of problems.
I had wow on my machine when playing back a pulse recorded via a cresta interface. This was caused by the main drive belt slipping very slightly also if the cogs get tight due to dried up grease etc it will give the same result.
Keep those GS's well serviced to get the best results.
[Smile]
Kevin

--------------------

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kevin, for all the info and advice; if I've been doing it the hard way, I'm open to suggestion. I'm having my GS1200 serviced at the present, so it will be clean and with new belts as you suggest. Are these units very expensive?

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 21, 2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
I tried to email you direct with some info but it wont go through.
Email me at: kevin.faulkner@tesco.net [Wink]

Kevin.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC