8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackhawks Hunchback

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackhawks Hunchback
D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2003 09:21 AM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a tech question but just an observation. Last night I watched my print of Lon Chaney's Hunchback Of Notre Dame. This is a Blackhawk Films release with a music track. If you are a fan of silent films and want a classic.....I recommend this one. But make sure it's a Blackhawk print with the music track. The score they used is very very good. So good in fact it really has a simutlated stereo sound. They even mixed in the odd sound effect such as the bells ringing and the angry crowds. I lucked out and got an immaculate mint print and the music track really helps the film move along. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2003 11:07 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good one D'Arcy. I have the Blackhawk print of "Phantom of the Opera". I may have to watch it tonight.

I have been looking for a Blackhawk print of "Cabinet of Dr. Ciligari". Do you know if they released a sound (musical score) print of this? Nick.

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2003 12:35 PM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am pretty sure Cabinet of Dr Caligari (may wanna check an old Blackhawk catalog) was released with a music score although I don't have this yet in my collection. It is on my want list as well. I too have Chaney's Phantom which is a Blackhawk print as well. My they did some top notch stuff. I have their print of Nosferatu and that film still scares me to this day. Regarding Chaney on super 8 and standard 8mm, through my own research and my own collection, there are about 13-15 Lon Chaney Sr features available. Some scored and others not. I have 11 of them so far with only a couple eluding me. Titles I have on Super 8 include Nomads Of The North, Oliver Twist, Hunchback, Phantom, and Outside The Law. Titles I have in Standard 8mm include Tell It To The Marines (scored), The Unholy Three (1925), He Who Gets Slapped, The Monster, The Light Of Faith, and West Of Zanibar. All of the Super 8 titles I have are scored except Nomads. Chaney really did have a screen presence. I've always been a big fan. His autograph adorns my wall here in my office in a Phantom Of The Opera display I put together. [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 02, 2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D'Arcy & Nick,
According to the March '77 Blackhawk catalog, "Cabinet" was only available in a silent version. The price? $37.98. They also list the Chaney films "Shadows" (1922) and "The Shock" (1923), both unscored.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2003 09:21 AM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much Doug for that research. I had no Idea that those Chaney titles were unscored as those are on my want list and I was holding out to find scored versions. I guess I won't need to hold out any longer. Maybe I will try and get them striped and scored on my own. D'Arcy

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2003 03:41 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear D'Arcy,
I have a silent print of Keaton's STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. and recorded the score from the laserdisc onto minidisc; it stays in sync reasonably well and it was alot less trouble than striping my print.

By the way, does anyone know what became of the Blackhawk overstock when they went out of business? The catalogs listed a ton of stuff and I only hope the prints were not junked.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2003 08:21 AM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: Up until a few months ago there was a website called filmclassics.com and they had the leftovers to most if not all of the Blackhawk features and shorts. There prices were outrageous but one thing for sure.........they were mint. I was considering purchasing Chaney's Outside The Law from them but to pay over $500 was a bit much. George Bettenger came to my rescue and I got a mint print for about $150. filmclassics.com just closed their website probably due to lack of sales but I cannot vouch for that. Maybe someone else can add some more info to the mystery. D'Arcy

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC