8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S938 Stereo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig S938 Stereo
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 11, 2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I powered up my Eumig S938 Stereo projector last night, for the first time in many months. I was struck, once again, on what a truly excellent projector this is. In my opinion, the 938 gives the Elmo GS1200 a close race. The 938 uses the 150 watt lamp as opposed to the 200W lamp on the Elmo. I ran a side-by-side comparison with both projectors using f1.0 lenses ,adjusted to exactly the same picture size. The 938 brightness is about the same, or slightly brighter, than the GS1200 at the low brightness setting. At full brighness setting, the Elmo is noticeably brighter and whiter than the 938.
On the sound side, I must say that the Eumig is, in my opinion, superior to the GS1200, with better bass and cleaner high frequencies. The recording and sound mixing control panel on the 938, with its sliding controls and beautiful level meters, knocks the pants off the awkward GS1200 conrols at the back of the machine. The 938 with the normal double sprocket film transport , handles film beautifully and purrs like a pussy cat (as opposed to the fan roar of the GS1200). Also the 938 has excellent light trapping, as opposed to the GS1200 which blasts light all over the ceiling, reducing picture contrast. The 938 weighs 18 lbs as opposed to the GS hernia inducing 36 lbs.
Don't get me wrong, I still love my GS1200, but any impartial observer would see little difference in the performance of these two great projectors, and might even prefer the 938 because of sound quality. When you consider that Eumig sold the 938 at about half the cost of the GS1200 you begin to realize what brilliant Engineers the team from Vienna really were.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, my friend and I were lucky enough to find one of these projectors in very good condition a couple of years ago. It is a much better performer than most other Eumigs and the optical levelling works very well. Oh and we paid just £80 for it!

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2003 03:13 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I am using several projectors to watch my super8mm prints: EUMIG S 940 STEREO, ELMO GS-1200 PCOM and BAUER T 610 STEREO. I am very pleased with my EUMIG S 940 but I think the actuation and the speed setting of EUMIG machines is really crap. It is very difficult to repair the actuation of the EUMIG machines if the two rubber coated plates are worn. I must agree that the sound and picture quality is really very good and the machine does treat the films very gentle. If the projector is cleaned before watching films, scratches can really not happen.
My favourite machine is the BAUER T 610, which runs very silent (you can hardly hear it if you are watching polyester prints) and offers a really good picture with the 1.1 Schneider/Kreuznach lens. This machine has never damaged any of my super8mm prints.
This is the problem with the ELMO GS-1200 PCOM: I am really not trusting this machine, because of the known problems, that can occur (scratches). My ELMO GS-1200 PCOM has been modified to avoid these scratches but I still have a weird feeling whenever I am using it.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must say the best machine I've had was the T610 Microprocessor.Super sound,lots of light and it just purred along-a real "lounge projector".I didn't think my 940 was in the same bracket.Now I only have Elmos(GS and ST1200s),I'd swap them for another Bauer T610 if I could! Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 17, 2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I love the craftsmanship and sheer power of my GS-1200, I'm also a member of the Bauer fan club. I have a T510 and I think the Bauer's speakers, sound heads, and quiet operation are superior to the Elmo's. I use the Elmo for scope films because of the brighter bulb, but I keep my other features on 800' reels so I can use the Bauer.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 18, 2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-
I owned them both and one day I put them side by side. I have to agree that the Bauer had very good sound and the projector was very silent running. But when it came to the picture next to the Xenon GS I felt that the GS just had more definition and side to side sharpness than the Bauer. I thought maybe it was just my Bauer but there was a post on another Super 8 board where this guy named Pedro went to Wittner and brought along his T610 and A/B'd it with the Elmo GS1200 Halogen they had there. He found the same results as I did. I eventually sold the Bauer T610 and haven't looked back since.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC