8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Replacement for DHJ lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Replacement for DHJ lamp
Richard Ward
Junior

- posted September 16, 2003 03:57 PM      Profile for Richard Ward   Email Richard Ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what may sub for the (no longer manufactured?) EHJ lamp? I was looking ar a replacement guide, but it said there was nothing to replace one of these.

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2003 05:43 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't have a Kodak Sound 8 by any chance? The lamp wasn't used in many projectors and most all were built around the Showtime base model of the 1960s. The last Kodak Sound 8 (the model "C") actually used a 24 volt lamp.

It would seem you need to get out the tools. Find a scrap projector that you can use the lamp holder and socket and you'll probably have to come up with a transformer or some way of powering the lamp.

The DHJ lamp is a very strange beast and the way the reflector is built into the lamp makes it one that doesn't replace. Luckily you can copy what Kodak did later (you might even be able to take parts from a M100A Super 8 Instamatic and use in the Kodak Sound 8).

I have the same project on my "to do" list when I blow out the two DHJ lamps I have.

John

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

I have a Kodak Sound 8 which I need to have repaired.
The claw does not retract sufficientlly and the sound plays back, but the quality is so-so.
Any suggestions?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Richard Ward
Junior

- posted September 17, 2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Richard Ward   Email Richard Ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John,

My projector is a Showtime A20, a silent machine. The main reason I was interested in keeping it going is that it is so much brighter than my other Regular 8mm machines.

Richard

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2003 03:16 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

There are service manual reprints available, you can search the web for them or check http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/repair.html
Which is one company that has a reprint that covers the "A" and "B" machines. It includes the schematics for the amp. With any luck, possibily a new tube will help the amp out.

As for the claw, there was a service kit which was used to make the "A" into the "B" which is no longer available. Check you serial number (it's stamped on the steel elevator foot on the bottom of the projector). Once you have the service and parts manual you can determine if you can help it along but "reforming some of the pieces" (that polite for bending) of if your time would be better spent looking for another machine.

If you problem is low audio output, check the capacitors are are the old cardboard/wax devices and replace them with more modern types. The old ones dry out with age and no longer work properly. You really need the book before you start taking the machine apart since you have to remove a tube, etc etc and you need to build a "fixture" to work on the machine out of the case (which is the procedure with the Kodak Pagent line).

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC