8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Incredible Basements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Incredible Basements
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 17, 2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a very interesting program on Home & Garden Television( HGTV, DirecTV channel 229)on Monday night, called "Incredible Basements". Monday's program featured a guy up in Indiana who had converted his whole 2500 sq ft basement into a home cinema, complete with lobby, popcorn machine, refreshment stand, poster memorabilia, and a beautiful cinema with lighted proscenium and projection box. The whole thing was worthy of being included in one of Keith Wilton's videos. US forum members might want to keep an eye open on HGTV for this program, as they are very frequently repeated. Well worth seeing.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2003 04:47 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did he run film? No doubt it was just video projection.

Interestingly, I'm posting on a home cinema forum now as we started getting loads of hits from www.hometheaterforum.com looking at bfcc.biz. They're all just into video projection so I thought I could help 'educate' them. Perhaps more of us should have a go as it could further the hobby in the long run.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2003 05:17 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I fear we have a lot of educating to do if a recent experience of mine is anything to go by. I was explaining to a couple of youngsters about 8mm being film,not tape or disc and added 'just like in a cinema'. These people didn't realise the image projected in cinemas was from film. They thought it was all DVD. They are prime candidates for a visit to the next BFCC!
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2003 06:31 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes he did run film, 35mm I saw the same segment on tv about a month ago, it would give any one of us an incentive to do the same thing in our basements with super 8 or 16mm, he shows films to family and friends and has a concession stand down there to it took him 3 yearsto build here is a link to the show you can read about it along with some pictures. [Razz]
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/article/0,1797,HGTV_3659_2026725,00.html

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2003 04:03 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An amazing home cinema made all the more so by running real film.

We don't tend to have enormous homes with large basesments over here (I expect they're pretty rare in the States) so it rather makes a beautiful setup like that unlikely.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 19, 2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the contrary John, most homes in the USA DO have enormous basements (which form the foundation and footprint of the entire house perimeter). This is the standard home construction design method in the USA. I used to live in central Pennsylvania and even our modest house there had a huge basement, which would have made an ideal cinema. I now live in Florida, where unfortunately NO homes have basements, due to the high water table (Florida is really a huge sandbar). So my home cinema is in the 30ft x 12 ft Florida room which is an indoor/outdoor room attached to the home.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC