8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Panavision

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Panavision
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 17, 2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a very interesting article in this months issue of the American Cinematographer (John your copy is in the mail), detailing the technical superiority of Panavision projection/Camera lenses Vs Cinemascope projection/Camera lenses. Apparently the Panavision lenses use a pair of prism's to get the lateral squeeze of the image, whereas Cinemascope used cylindrical lenses. Cinemascope cylindrical lenses proved very difficult to manufacture by American Optical Corpn, and suffered from variable compression across the field of view ( a person walking from left to right would be slightly fatter in the center of the picture than at the edges). So the Panavision Company was formed to provide the thousands of projection lenses required for theatres. The Panavision lenses proved to be vastly superior and has now become the standard widescreen process. The Iscomorphot Anamorphic lens that I use to project 8mm Cinemascope prints is clearly a cylindrical lens design. I wonder if any 8mm scope lenses were ever built utilising the Panavision prism design? What is considered to be the best quality scope lens for 8mm?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2003 04:40 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a trip to the local Odeon is in order to nick a Panavision lens!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2003 05:26 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul,
I don't know what the best quality lens for 8mm is, however we have been using the KOWA Z8 since the late 1970's and it performs beautifully with 8mm and 16mm. It can focus from 5ft to infinity and gives excellent results as long as you have a decent projector lens. There are no problems with the GS and other machines with a good light output.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC