8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Is Super 8 doomed??????? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Is Super 8 doomed???????
John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2003 02:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I must say, as much as I was extremely p*ssed off Steve Sigel came onto this thread and (in so many words) asked "why are you people on this forum perservering with Super 8 when video projection is better?" it certainly started a discussion, so thanks for that Steve. Hopefully now you understand why some of us are into Super 8. You've probably now realized getting rid of your projector was a bit mistake so I suggest to help Steve out we all keep a look out for a nice Elmo GS-1200 Xenon for him so he can undo this mistake.

Can't wait until you get back into the world of Super 8 Steve.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2003 06:31 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JC, it is great to see everyone getting so passionate about the old s8. Unlike many of you I came to this hobby a year back by accident.

What Steven says is true of course and it defies logic to collect s8 or 16mm or anything else.

Oh what the heck, it is quite good fun and I have met some nice people.

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2003 08:56 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To John -- That's not what I said -- I simply said that I thought super 8 was being seriously impacted by DVD/DLP projection. This is a fact (ask any film dealer), and I wonder why people here seem to not want to hear about it -- It seems like I've been told in not so many words to "shut up and go away". Isn't this forum for discussion of super 8?

Sorry John, I'm not planning to buy another GS ... But I have an ST-1200 and a Sankyo 800 which I plan to hang onto in case I run across any super 8 prints that I want to screen....

Tony -- I don't think it defies logic to collect films -- it all depends on why you collect them. I collect 16mm film as my main collection - because I like film, but got into super 8 to be able to see things projected on a big screen that I couldn't get on 16mm -- so the super 8 for me was just a stop-gap to begin with. I'm planning to keep on collecting 16mm for a long time (although even here, I've been getting rid of my inferior prints) - just like I keep colleting 78 RPM records and Edison Cylinders.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC