8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Another Cool Projector On eBay. Vintage!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Cool Projector On eBay. Vintage!
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 26, 2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another unusual looking standard 8mm sound projector on eBay. Made in Italy. Seller says motors need reconditioning. Unfortunately, there's a $20.00 packing materials & handling charge plus shipping. Looks like the seller plans to use 10 pounds of packing. I can buy 35 12"x12" film shipping boxes for $20.00!! Sounds like over kill to me. Too bad for me, I might have bid on it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2953444099&category=15253 [Eek!] [Frown]

[ September 26, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2003 10:16 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, that's one I've never seen before. 1957 seems a little early although the Calvin Sound 8 was around then. What I don't understand is why the seller would say there is seperate speed controls for picture and sound and yet it has the "proper" advance. Can't figure out how you'd make that work. Also the threading pattern seems a bid odd if it's for composite prints. If it's for a seperate sound track then where does the track feed and take up from? I'm tempted to see if he's anywhere close and I could pick it up and save the shipping.

Thanks for the tip.

John

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 26, 2003 11:47 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, if you buy it, fill us in on the details about speed controls and film path. The picture is so blurry I couldn't make out the film path in relation to a sound head. But, hey, at an opening bid of $9.99 and the rarity of 8mm sound, it may not attract many if any bids. Hmmm.....maybe I should...naaaa!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 27, 2003 08:22 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This projector is a Cirse-vox, manufactured in Italy in the late 1950's. It was distributed in the UK by Microtechnica Film Equipment Ltd, and was listed at 59 guineas (about 63 pounds sterling) in a 1958 edition of Amateur Cine World. The projector has built in mixing unit, 400ft spool capacity, 500 watt pre-focus lamp, and a 20mm lens.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 29, 2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one bought the cool projector. Guess the ten pounds of packing scarred em' off or maybe the $20.00 packing fee not included in the shipping cost. Maybe it will be relisted with more reasonable shipping. [Confused]

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2003 02:00 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked them about the "two motors that need reburbishing" and the auction ended. They finally replied that the auction had been withdrawn, guess it didn't start the bidding war they had envisioned.

Why two motors? Was it a single system sound on film projector or was it some sort of double system like the Eumig that controlled a tape recorder?

John

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 01, 2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
The Cirse-Vox was a single system sound projector , utilising Standard 8mm striped film with the sound head advanced 56 frames from the picture gate aperture. I dont know why it had two motors, but the Elmo GS1200 has four motors, so depeding on the design of the projector, more than one motor is not uncommon.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2003 07:18 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. I would guess from the age that one motor was for film drive and the other for a blower for the lamp but since it was withdrawn before they answered my question I didn't get a chance to bid on it to find out.

Well, there will be other projects. I may someday get a Calvin Sound 8 which was based on the early Kodak Showtime and made by Calvin Motion Picture Services by Moviemite.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC