8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How long till they wear out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long till they wear out?
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2003 05:40 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So ladies and gents help me with this one.....

How many times can you run a film before it really shows significant signs of wear? Ok Ok I know "how long is a piece of string" but if we assume a clean well maintained projector and lubed film as standard.......

Does it make any difference if say the film is an acetate or a polyester based one?

Any views? What is the record for showing a print?

Tony [Smile]

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a clever solution to this dilemna:

Own so many films that you go a long time between repeats!!

(It works!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2003 08:33 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there will be slight differences between prints, but to do an accurate forcast for your equipment you can do a simple test (yes kids, it's ok to do this at home).

Take a piece of film of about ten feet or so, splice it into a loop and thread it up on your projector. Start the projector and start counting. You'll probably have to go through fifty to 100 rounds before you start seeing problems if the projector is clean and the tensions are all good.

In short, we used to set up endless loop super 8 and regular 8mm projectors in stores and run them for weeks without problems. They do get scratched if you pick up dirt and a little oxide will wear off the stripe, but you'd really be amazed how long they'll last.

35mm prints in theatres are fed off of platters and run hundreds of times or even thousands of times. I remember it was a big news event in Seattle when the back up print of "This Is Cinerama" arrived and the show had been running for six months at that point (once a night weeknights and three times on weekends).

So how long is your piece of string?

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are very intresting figures. I saw somewhere that Kodak expected K40 prints to have a life of 200 plays. No doubt clean, smooth projector film paths might push this figure.

I asked a guy I know who runs a video rental shop how many times a video tape can be played. Allowing for the fact that most renters will play a film twice, he did not expect a life in excess of 200 plays.

--------------------
Tim

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2003 01:17 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The oldest film that is still in my collection (since 1976)is a Blackhawk print - Little Rascals "Moan & Groan". I've probably run it about 60 to 70 times and it still looks great! The magnetic sound track is good as new. There are a few lines in it though (I didnt know or care anything about cleaning films or film gates until the late 80's- Soooo Immature!). But, again, the film plays very well and still very enjoyable. With proper care and storage, most films will probably out-last the collector. Nick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC