8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Would you buy one

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Would you buy one
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2003 08:58 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there have been so many cries for help recently I have to ask the question. I have 2 people offering to sell me GS 1200's at a not inconsiderable amount of money. They are sexy beasts and I admit that I am tempted but would you buy one??

Thoughts welcomed........

Tony [Confused]

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony
I am one of those people who has a problem with my GS 1200. I can say it is the best purchase I have ever made. Even with the problem. The thing is that there are still people out there who can sort problems if they arise.

I also worry about my film when running through projectors. I have a lot of features as many of us do, and some have cost a lot of money. With the GS, I feel some kind of security and that my film is being well looked after whilst runing through the machine. Then , obviously there are all the features that come along with it.

I think we have to look at the age of these projectors and perhaps face upto the fact that, they may have problems. BUt this can be said for any projector, make or model. I think its just something that goes with the territory these days.

All the best
Colin [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 08, 2003 01:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,
You're question is kind of like asking someone if they would buy a Rolls Royce or Bentley. The GS1200 was probably the best ever Super 8 stereo projector from ANY manufacturer. They are expertly designed and have excellent manufacturing quality. They have superb light output and excellent stereo sound. They are also aesthetically very beautiful machines. Once you have one, you will never go back to another machine. If you look after one it will probably last an extremely long time, much longer than ,say, Eumig machines.
Take the usual precautions before buying one, try and test it yourself if you can , before plonking down any cash. If you are buying within the UK it would be worth driving anywhere within your small country to personally check out the machine. Make sure the stereo playback is excellent, with no hum. Also try to get the f1.0 lens , for the very best picture brightness and sharpness. Good luck!! [Wink]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC