8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Another Blackpool for the US?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Blackpool for the US?
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 18, 2003 05:52 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read continually about BLACKPOOL so much that, I have also begged for us to organize and run our own convention of sorts; we have more than enough collectors with accessories and films - Many of us have never seen one another, so it would be a great time to socialize as well as buy/sell/trade and talk motion pictures - Naturally I'm biased, living in NJ, it should be held in this area, however, I'll travel wherever it is held - I'm serious - If most think we should have a chance to prosper ourselves with a gathering of world-wide collectors, let's have a go - Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 18, 2003 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, much as I would love to see a Super 8 film convention here in the USA, I do not hold out much hope. The problem is distance. In the UK you can drive to Blackpool or the BFCC at Ealing from anywhere in England in 3 hours or so. In the USA it might take several days driving to get to a convention, or you would have to fly. Either way, it would be a costly trip, which would severely limit attendance.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2003 10:42 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's Cinevent and Cinefest -- one in Syracuse,NY and the other in Ohio.... I'm sure someone has the details...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 18, 2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, I know of both CINEFEST and CINEVENT - I attend the Syracuse one - I've just been of a mind tocreate the atmosphere that once was held in CHerry Hill years back when Barlowe operated "Film Collector's Showcases", as was termed - 75% of the rooms were films and accessories, and one would hear the familiar strains of Hal Roach music to the cutting scores of Universal horror being run on via the churling hum of ELMO's and GAF's alike - I enjoyed those days, and there's still no reason to think that collectors will fly or travel to our first convention - After all, many do fly to get over to Syracuse or Columbus, so why not a 8mm gathering - It's a honey to mull over and someday it might happen - Shorty

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, when was the last time you were in the UK? Drive anywhere in 3 hours? I don't think so. Some days it takes me an hour to get out of my drive.............I live in a cul-de-sac.
Be quicker to hop on a plane from NY! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 18, 2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it would easier to organise a contingent of Yanks to go to Blackpool or the BFCC than create a USFCC.

I'd be up for it about a year from now. (been overseas 3 times in the last 18 months and feeling like staying in my own time zone a little while)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2003 08:00 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have long thought it would be great to try some sort of film program here in the U.S. like Blackpool. I seems to me that most of the super 8 people over here live on the east coast, to around Ohio. Maybe if we tied a super 8 program in with something like the Cherry Hill, and combined it with 16mm and maybe even throw in something to encourage the amiture super 8 film makers, since most of us dabble in that too.

Even a small program with some new releases, some amiture home home movies, maybe some people could bring stuff to sell or trade. What would it take to put on something simple like this? I would be willing to drive as far as Ohio from Washington D.C. for something like this (only about 13 hours away).

Being somewhat of an optimist, I think it would definately be worth a try [Wink] Lets make it happen in 2004! Nick.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 21, 2003 07:05 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Nick - See? - It isn't such a far-fetched idea - Collectors who live in England also have to travel to get to Blackpool; some fly out of here probably - So - We can have such a gathering and collectors will also travel to get to where we have it here - I drove 2-hours to Cherry Hill, 6-hours to Syracuse, double that to Columbus - What's the difereence about travel? - We're all in the same hobby/business, so we go where it's at - I say let's create the first annual US companion to Blackpool - Hey, our friends in England will admire us for doing such a replica, they might even fly over here - Listen, things have to have a start, look at Blackpool, now don't you think that there were those who might have been opposed? - Someone initiated the idea, now it's a permanent event - So why not here? - And wouldn't we on this forum love to finally see each other and confer, converse and otherwise hob-knob about motion pictures? - I long to hear the whirring and turning of reels and the grand viewing of film - Again, I say let's do this - Shorty

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 21, 2003 09:50 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty,
Definitely! While we don't have the dealers to offer a large selection of films for sale, just the opportunity to finally meet this stubborn group of collectors who cling to this overlooked format would be the main attraction for me. As Nick said, we could create a program with new releases (The new LOTR 400 footer, Spiderman, Universal Trailers), some rarities from our collections, have that worst digest contest......
If we get enough people on board, who knows? Maybe Steve Osborne will venture from Kettering and bring some Reel Image goodies!
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone would have to find or have a suitable location that they could book well in advance to have this thing(a hall, convention center, field house, etc.) and be able to give good directions and hotel accommodations; anticipate the attendance, charge enough at the door(or presale tickets), to cover their costs.... charge a set fee per vendor table or booth, then advertise the show's date and location here and elsewhere. Things like this usually start SMALL, then, IF it's a success, get bigger and better. It just might work....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 22, 2003 06:47 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can eventually persuade dealers like Phil Johnson (Texas) and Roger Williams (Louisiana) to venture more east to our gathering - Consider Pennsylvania, maybe Philly - It must be along the strip of states between Ohio to Jersey, but we'll figure it - Hey, maybe our british-compatriots will jump on the band wagon and help us increase our first-ever conclave - I know this will happen and we'll enjoy it so much, we'll want more - Steve Osborne? I'm sure he'll come - And remember that there are collectors who have never visited the forum, and wil be seeing us for the first time - Besides screenings, an auction and fun, the collector rooms will be the focus - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC