8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Another little known S-8 company from the past...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another little known S-8 company from the past...
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2003 04:56 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember a super 8 film company in Connecticut U.S.A.? I think it was called "The Reel Image" (popular title [Smile] ). They sold Super 8 and 16mm movies. They were good people to deal with and very friendly on the telephone.

In particular, I remember they were selling the first episode of the "Lost In Space" T.V. series. I bought the animated "Fantastic Planet" feature and a couple of trailers and cartoons from them back in the late eighties. I remember the quality being pretty good, but not quite as good as the big companies like Universal 8.

Anyone else out there remember dealing with them or know what happened to thier stuff when they closed?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I have won the lost in space film you mentioned on ebay I always wondered where/who distributed these would there be any markings anywhere on the film stating it is from this outfit?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2003 08:58 PM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of old catalogs of The Reel Image in my files. I purchased my very first brand new feature from them which was One Body Too Many with Lugosi, Jack Haley and a very sexy Jean Parker. I paid $140 for it and that was a lot of cash for a high school lad with a paper route back in the mid 80's. The Reel Image has lots of great stuff including some old TV commercials in both 8 and 16. Their catalogs were very nostalgic and sometimes had fun activities/crafts on the back covers you could clip and make. One I recall was a film strip of Chaplin in various poses. You clipped out two six inch strips, taped them all together end to end to make a complete 12 inch circle. You then placed it on your turntable at 33 rpm and when you focused on one part with your eyes, Charlie was doing his famous walk ala animation. [Eek!]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 26, 2003 11:46 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be wrong, but wasn't the proprietor of REEL IMAGE, one Dominic Vercillo? - Or was that REEL-TO-REEL? - Shorty

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2003 12:01 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In UK we have www.thereelimage.co.uk

--------------------
Regards,
David

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2003 04:49 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No guys- this was a company in Connecticut, USA. I believe the company changed thier name to The Reel Image in the early eighties from Classic Image, or something like that. They had some of the same titles as Canturbery Films, but a lot of other stuff too. This company had no connection with The Reel Image magazine or The Reel Image website. I think they also released the classic Lenny Bruce animated short "Masked Man". Nick.

Chris Cottrill
Junior

- posted November 30, 2003 07:34 AM      Profile for Chris Cottrill   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Cottrill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I believe they were called Classic Images at first. In the 80s they released a huge videotape catalogue under the name "Video Yesteryear". If you bought a Video Yesteryear VHS tape you would find a card inside to mail off for a free catalogue. On the card you could check if you wanted the VHS catalogue or the "Reel Image" 8 and 16mm film catalogue, so I guess they were still selling films in the mid 80s.

Chris

--------------------
Chris Cottrill
Super-8 filmmaking Backissues
at www.super8today.net

Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
Junior

- posted December 12, 2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Robert M. Bratcher Jr.   Email Robert M. Bratcher Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The correct name for the company (which later became Video Yesteryear) is Reel Images. Thats what it says on the film boxes I have...

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my copy of "Africa Screams" from Reel Images. The picture quality wasn't bad, but the sound is a tad muffled (as if someone turned the Treble way down). Overall its o.k...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC