8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » new member trouble with ft 1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new member trouble with ft 1200
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone my names Chris [Smile] and I have just joined the forum. I have found it very informative, thank you, I have a question for all you boffins out there if you would please help. Got myself a Elmo1200st M/O that has had no use and was mothballed for ???? Anyone out there could tell me a bit about the history of these machines last one made etc. or how to tell how old mine is? All I know is that it comes in a hard case it and a little case full of leads 4 brushes to clean it a microphone etc. It runs like a dream far better than the 70 quid ones I use to pick up. Very heavy and looks real quality. My old one was a AGFA Sonector LS. And before that I had a Chinnon that was slightly better. The only thing I have noticed is that it seems to run a little slow. [Frown] I have checked that it is on the correct belt cog. 50Hz and of course the right speed 24 fps, but it is definitely running a little slow, any explanations out there.
Cheers my dears Chris. [Wink]

Right. All the grease has dried up and have checked the belts and the main drive belt is flopping quite a lot when running, is this normal? the tensioner seems to be right down on the pulley.
Now here’s a silly question; Can I get a new belt??? As I think I know the answer, what’s my options. Any help very much appreciated. Chris.

[ November 28, 2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Chris Quinn ]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum,

Being newish to all this I can't say much about the history of the ST1200HD M/O and for repairs and advice you need to contact "Mr Elmo" aka Kevin Faulkner.
My ST1200HD has a black rubber ring around the shutter wheel and I am told that in some cases this diintegrated and when removed causes a speed reduction. I was also told, however, that Elmo modified later machines and removed this feature.
Some posts on this forum also mention problems with potentiometers that govern motor speeds so i am afraid I can't help but I am sure Kev will be on later.

Enjoy

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2003 05:57 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the board.
If the projector has been unused for a long time, try checking the belts for slackness/deterioration and make sure the cogs are still lubricated.The original grease may have hardened. There is a fixed speed AC motor on the ST so there is no electronic speed control. Also check the rubber wheels on the clutch assembley, they too can give problems. Does it run slow at both 18 and 24 fps? Good luck. Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 29, 2003 05:10 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Before you attempt to go any further I would replace all the belts and then go from there. Check the rubber drive rollers and the rubber on the shutter for deterioration. Hope they are ok for your sake. You can get a complete set of belts from Paul Foster Films for £19.99. If you need help with info on changeing the Belts then you can email and I'll give you my phone number. Your observations though are correct there should be no belt flapping and the tensioner should be well up.
Good machines though and it should run like a dream once these belts are changed. [Smile] Kev.
www.fosterfilms.co.uk

PS Welcome on board.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC