8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » On Super 8 but not on DVD????????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On Super 8 but not on DVD????????
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2003 12:34 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several times I have seen mention of the fact that some films are only to be found on super8 or 16mm and not on DVD or Video.

So which ones are they? Anyone know?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 30, 2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tony,
The original Star Wars trilogy was released on Super 8mm & VHS but only briefly on DVD. Many older films were put out on VHS but are no longer available and were never issued in the DVD format. I have the Walton cut down of The Curse of the Cr imson Altar, but the VHS is out of print.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2003 07:01 PM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased on Super 8 sound, a mint hour long TV show that was aired once in 1965. A Salute To Stan Laurel. Dick Van Dyke hosted this hour long special after Stan passed away February 23rd 1965 (on my 2nd Birthday!) The show also stars Phil Silvers, Lucille Ball, Buster Keaton, Bob Newhart, A sexy Tina Louise, Cesar Romero, Audrey Meadows, Danny Kaye AND a brief appearance of Fred Gwynne completely in Herman Munster costume and Makeup! This is not available anywhere in VHS or DVD so I plan on getting it transferred and offering it soon to the public. It is quite a thrill for die hard Stan and Ollie fans. [Eek!] D'Arcy

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony --

I'm not sure how much stuff is on super 8 that's not on DVD, but there are thousands of titles that are on 16mm and not on DVD. 16mm was used for TV broadcast for years (as well as for rental), and so anything that was shown on TV (not including stuff run from videotape) would probably be available on 16mm - that includes lots of old obscure films that will probably never find their way onto DVD....

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 07:25 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've a lovely Scope print of Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines on Super 8 from Derann... now that's not on DVD!

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 09:59 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not available anywhere in VHS or DVD so I plan on getting it transferred and offering it soon to the public. It is quite a thrill for die hard Stan and Ollie fans. D'Arcy

D'Arcy you should visit an attorney who know US Copyright and US Entertainment contract law. 1965 is after all the residuals were put into effect for SAG/AFTRA and DGA and those people all get paid for non-commercial and supplemental (home video) releases.

Whoever is on the hook for the contracts will be liable for payment to the performers or there estates and won't be very happy if it suddenly turns up in release. There are also music license issues, etc etc.

Making a copy for a friend would probably be overlooked, but a general offering (even on Ebay) could bring about quite a turmoil. Just because something isn't available doesn't mean it's PD (nothing made from that time period forward is PD) or no one cares.

Be careful, it's a mean vicious world in the legal entertainment community.

John

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 06:33 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long it will be before one of the DVD companies puts a super 8 digest on the disk as a bonus feature! I've seen some of the DVD companies get really creative with the extras, especially the horror titles. I think it would be really neat to watch an old 50' or 200' digest with subtitles to one of the old Universal / Castle movies. I think people would find it very interesting that there was a time (not so long ago) when this was the most of a movie that you could own at home. And the wierd thing is, we appriciated our collection of 10 silent digests more than our 250 DVD's today! [Smile] Nick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC