8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film end trimming

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film end trimming
Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to find out which shapes of film end suit which auto-load projectors best. Within the limtations of text format, the most common forms of end shapes are shown below. Some suit some projectors better than others. For example, on the 'straight cut' gives a reliable load with my Eumig Mark S. It will not accept the 'tongue' shape reliably.

Could you please let me know (direct email)

1. Which shape is best for which projector

2. Which projector desn't like a paricular shape

___
|o |
|o | straight cut

__
/ \
|o | tongue

_--_
|o | radius (shallow curve)

_
|o\
|o \
|o \
|o | taper (usually over 2 inches or so)

I'll publish the results.

Thanks.

--------------------
Tim

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2003 03:30 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim,

My Elmo's seem to be fairly forgiving but they get real excited when I offer them a radius made with the built in splicer.

My Sankyo is also content with a radius.

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 06, 2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo's prefer the Radius type trim using the built in trimmer. Offer them a trimmed end which does not put that first sprocket hole in the right place and you will be sitting there for eternity waiting for the first sprocket wheel to grab the film.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2003 02:27 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A slight diagonal cut seems to work wellon my S8 machines,as it does for 16mm too.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 11, 2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm.....

Pretty soon I'm getting a second sound projector. When that happens I'll have a Bolex SP-80 Special (Really a Eumig 810 in Bolex Clothing) and an Elmo ST-800 (the new addition).

Is there any end trim that will work on both machines?, or every time I switch machines will I have to nibble a little more off my films?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2003 04:14 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, that's the reason I always put 30" (75 cm in Euros) of leader on my films. It is enough to get through to the take-up spool on all the projectors I've tried and allows for retrimming. When it loses 4" or so, I add a bit more on. If you use tape or overlap cement splices it also pulls the odd hair out of the gate!

Add 12" of leader to the end as well in case creases from reels break bits off.

--------------------
Tim

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC