8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How well used?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How well used?
Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2003 02:23 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The news about replacement drive items for the ST1200fills me with pride in the Super8 fraternity.This is indeed a commendable step forward which I shall support as necessary.
However,I get the distinct impression that everyone out there uses their projectors a whole lot more than I do as some of you have machines that are needing attention, or alternatively,are you hedging yourbets against further wear and tear-I know I would!
So,the question really is,just how often to you use your projectors,ST's or otherwise?For me personally it is very occasionally.The vibes I'm getting is that you all must be very regular exhibitors.I wouldbe interested to know!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 11, 2003 03:19 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry, For me I use mine fairly regularly but I have to say that machines which are not used often seem to be the ones that suffer first.
I bought a s/h ST1200HD which had seen little use nad the belts were all spongy and had to be replaced and now the rubber on the shutter is going sticky along with the drive pulleys. Thanks to Tom's Pulley when I get it, the machine will be running just fine again. I have changed the belts and am about to remove the rubber from the shutter which is not a problem as Elmo made some of the ST's like that to start with.
I am certainly getting the vibes that regularly used machines give less trouble in this department.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to use my machines only on special occasions (EUMIG & CHINON) because I heard the sound heads wear out and eventually the machines will be useless so I hope that the less use I give them, the longer they will last....

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry

I am worried that I will expire before the projectors so I run them often during the darker months. SO normally at least on a Monday and Tuesday night when the wife is out and often on a Sunday evening for the Kids.

You might as well enjoy them else what's the point? There is always a way around a problem!!

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 11, 2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is really funny how what you think will happen is so different from what does happen. What I mean by this is that I originally had an Elmo GS1200 Halogen model. I used it all the time. I mean at least 2 or 3 times minimum for about 30min- hour each time. So then I went and got the Holy Grail of all, The GS1200 Xenon. I figured that I would be playing movies all day long! Well, the machine is a little louder due to the extra fan, and the replacement bulb cost is around $400+. I think more, a lot more.
So I found that I used that machine about once every week maybe.
Im afraid of burning out the bulb! Ironic isn't it!
I do agree that a machine that has been played is much better off than one that has remained static. I had 2 Xenons and the one that had a little more wear and tear had better sound, and was a little quieter and a little smoother when dealing with prints. And they were both cleaned and lubricated at the same time.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2003 06:08 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to watch something on film at least once every two weeks. Sometimes though, a whole month might go past without watching any super-8 and I'll start getting "the shakes" [Eek!]

As far as actually showing stuff to family or friends, probably now only about five or six times a year. It stays more "special" that way. Too much of a good thing takes away from the fun of it [Wink] Nick.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2003 02:06 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about every day in my case. It beats watching the appalling standards on television nowadays.

And if Super 8 isn't getting used it's 35mm, 16mm, laser disc, dvd or even occasionally vhs.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello gang!

I suppose I get to have some sort of a cine viewing once or twice a fortnight. Quite often have my brothers family [which includes young children ] come to stay and there is always a request for a cine show then!

I agree that projectors seem to need to be used and indeed appear to run better when they are used often. I have yet to come across a projector that needs a new sound head [ just been lucky I suppose ], but with that in mind I have an ST 600 that I bought from ebay for £15 that has a good sound head in it and I understand that they are interchangable with the GS 1200 so hopefully if mine ever goes I can get them swapped and then get another 20years out of the GS [Razz]

Like others on this forum [Tony [Wink] ] I have more than one projector so tend to rotate them in use, hopefully I'll get a bit more mileage out of them that way!

Mike.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
Junior

- posted December 12, 2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Robert M. Bratcher Jr.   Email Robert M. Bratcher Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ST1200D gets used whenever I have new Super 8 prints to screen. Otherwise I run 16 & 35mm.

As to standard 8mm the same goes. I screen newly aquired prints (both sound & silent) on a Fairchild since the bulbs for my Kodak Sound 8 are very hard to find.

Every now & then I'll screen a film I've seen before no matter which guage it is. What can I say? Film is Fun!

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2003 01:09 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hells Teeth!! I really need to get my act together as I rarely use my ST1200.There is a reason but from what I have read from you all is that my reason is dumb!
You see,Ibought my machine from Paul Foster Films,along with a new set of belts.Externally this machine is so clean and shiny one would mistake it foir being new.Furthermore,opening up the back revealed the same.For all the world it looks as though it could have been steam cleaned! It wasnt I can assure you!No accumalated dust in any tiny corners and all the electronics are spotless,as are the existing belts and pulleys.Even the belt tensioner roller is at absolute minumum pressure and no 'running marks' are worn into any of the machined pulleys.
Silicon grease has been applied to the nylon gears,the lot.
Does it work?
I'll say!
And there is my dumb reason;its so good I use my trusty old Yelco DS810MT yo 'mess about with film'
What an idiot!!
Must write out five hundred lines:Imust use my ST1200 more often or regret it!" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 13, 2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My situation is similar to Nick's. I'll project something for myself aprox. once every two weeks but I can only get everyone to sit for a viewing just a few times a year. If I have a day off during the week I'll pull the curtains and project away. I try to rotate usage between 4 projectors. The ST800 & my trusty old B&H 489z get the flat short subjects while a Bauer 510 and the GS-1200 get the scope prints & features.
I'm very jealous of John. Every day? If only I could have a permanent screening room!
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC