8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST1200HD Drive belts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST1200HD Drive belts
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 14, 2003 06:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all HD users who ask the queation with rregard to all three drive belts here is hopefully a good bit of news and will save you a bit of cash, as you know the dealers will sell you a set of 3 for £20.You can still get them from AVM. hORLEY lANE, fARNBROUGH, hAMPSHIRE. GU1L 8EH.They only cost around £2.00 each and are genuine Elmo parts. The part numbers you need are P411996,P412323 AND P411960. The rewind belts do sag with age and if you use a 1200ft spool they tend to stop near the end of a film and let your film go all over the floor if your not watching,(sound familier?)If you change all three belts and use a cotten bud with alcahol cleaner to clean the residue off the old belt out of the grooves of the pulleys you will find this works a treat in every aspect of running the projector, the old belts always become quite loose and saggy and if they are getting sticky when you try and start up from cold the motor will hum and not turn because the belts act like clue in htere grooves. As AVM do charge a fiver minimun P+P order yourselves a spare set and maybe consider a second sproket giude part number 4P31894, Again its only a cuple of quid and is easy to change and will benefit your prints as this guide causes scratching when worn. Hope this answers the question as to wether belts are availible and where.Treat your machines.
Speak soon
Tom.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 16, 2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice there, Thanks Tom. Where these belts are concerned, I cant get over how the dealers have been ripping us off here in the UK. Could buy 3 sets for the £20 the dealers are chargeing us. [Mad] Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

I have to stick up for the dealers, how else are they to make a living? If they don't make a living how do they continue to serve the s8 community. Just look at other suppliers in the world. Take car parts- what sort of margin do you think they are making? What about the odd indian takeaway ? This applies to everything in life, a question of supply and demand.

It's Christmas.........be happy [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 16, 2003 07:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Be happy with a 300% mark up? [Mad] Come on Tony, you wouldnt want a 300% mark up on the films you buy from the Dealers. I support the dealers too, as you know, but I still call that a Rip Off, Christmas or not. The trouble for the dealers now is that we have found out who the supplier of these belts is and how much they would charge us direct. Buy in bulk and the price probably comes down even further. Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2003 02:54 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you could not guess at the material/production cost of 3 small pieces of rubber!? None of us like to pay more than we need to but many of the suppliers may not wish to deal directly with 100 customers, it is not cost effective, hence middle-men or "dealers" were born. They have to carry the stock risk and pay the interst on debt to fund themselves! How often will you change belts on an ST1200 model? Not often I guess so turnover of these items is fairly low yet when we want one we expect a dealer to have them in stock.
Perhaps they are cross subsidising themselves on the films they sell to usand they are doing that with everything from Derran Film Cleaner which must cost pence to produce, leader , likewise and bulbs which I know carry at least a 100% margin.
What we need is more competition but sadly s8 is a contracting market with niche interest and so I doubt that will happen. (let us not open that old chestnut here!)
I bought a 2 blade shutter from Wittners that must have a 1000% mark up but the alternative of having to manufacture one does not appeal. Need I go on?????? Guess we will have to agree to differ on this one!!

Merry Xmas

Tony [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC