8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1200ft reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1200ft reels
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2003 04:38 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,
Now I would like to edit some film together so as to put on a larger reel 2 X 600 on to a 1200ft reel. How much film can actually go on this reel, I know it’s 1200ft but what can be squeezed on, and should you over fill a reel?

I have herd of a modification that makes the hub on a 1200ft reel smaller to allow it to take 1600ft of film, is this not a strain on the projector? Were they ever designed to take the extra weight? I know Elmo’s are sturdy machines but don’t like the idea of over taxing my PRECIOUS.
A recent conversation with a fellow enthusiast said that the take up reel can stop turning and if not watching, your film can end up on the floor.

Merry Xmas everyone. [Smile]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 16, 2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,
Generally you can squeeze a bit more on the 1200ft spools. The black ones from Italy made by Grasso will take nearly 1400ft. I dont really like to take the film closer than about 5 - 10mm from the extreme edge otherwise the film will just fall over the edge of the spool either when projecting of rewinding the film.
1600ft Supaspools were made in the UK and some dealers have them still, secondhand. They are ally and indeed have a smaller centre hub. I stopped using them as i found they distorted very easily. Both ST1200 and GS1200 machines seem to be able to cope with these spools without any problems. With the ST1200 its important to make sure the belts are in good shape otherwise slippage could result with the increased weight.
Hope that helps, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 16, 2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
I use both Supaspools and Taylor 1600's on the GS-1200 without a problem. I prefer the plastic Taylors (available from The Reel Image). The core is slightly larger than the Supaspools. I have to place a sticker on those reels to remind me to also use a 1600' take up!
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy Tayloreel 1200s direct from Tayloreel -- www.tayloreel.com

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 17, 2003 08:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
I followed that link to Tayloreel's site but couldnt find those reels. Any chance you could give a link to the actual page.

Cheers, Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info and link Steve, like Kev can't find them so wrote an e-mail to them asking for prices etc, Kev when i get a reply i will e-mail you the info i receive.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2003 10:42 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While Taylor website might not have pictures of these items, they are indeed available. This information will help you get the steel super 8 1200 foot reel with a large hub, similar to the Elmo 1200 foot aluminmum reel....

The super 8 reel 1200 foot is actually made from 16mm flanges. The difference is the shaft hole "round" instead of "square"; and the 8mm hub thickness.

When you speak to someone for your sale, just make sure you ask for this item only:

"SUPER 8 STEEL REEL 1200 FOOT ROUND ROUND"

You will get the steel reel with key slots on both sides and it will be 8mm thickness.

Chip

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC