8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo GS 1200 with contact problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo GS 1200 with contact problems
Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2004 01:47 AM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
There are great technical experts in this forum – my little problems :
I bought an Elmo GS 1200, one of the first series ( the film-loop under the gate to the right side and with a circuit board for the wind motors with 2 potentiometers ) .
There is a bad noise in the loudspeakers , when I switch on or switch off the machine , but only at these moments . How can I avoid that crackling noise ?
The another problem :
The take up spool often doesn`t start immediately when pressing the fwd-switch . I have cleaned the two poti`s for the wind-motors with contact spray and now it`s better , but sometimes the take up spool still doesn`t start turning round . If I stop , press the rewind switch and then the fwd switch again, the take up spool always starts immediately. I only use large spools .
Another thing with my Elmo :
I am using a 24 V/250 W lamp. The seller told me , he had always used that lamp without any problems. Shall I use it in the future ? My GS 1200 has a big transformator.
Thanks for your replies !
Kind regards
Henry

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2004 03:09 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many people use the 250w lamp with the GS-1200. I don't and I won't. I'm not prepared to take the risk however small it is. Also, Derann have arranged new supplies of the ESC 200w lamp which is designed for the 8mm gate aperture and gives even brightness all over the picture. These new lamps are very good but not quite as bright as those previously made by Radiac.

My advice - give the new ESC lamp a try.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 05, 2004 06:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Henry
I 100% agree with John about the lamps. DO NOT USE 250W LAMPS.
If you measure the voltage on the mains transformer you will find that ALL the voltages drop with the 250W lamp but dont with the 200W ESC or the 200W EJL. Simple maths will tell you that the 250W lamp will take another 2 amps of current. Remember that these mains tranformers are no longer available so once you burn a transformer out then throw your GS out.
Sorry for the harsh words there but it's all very true.
As for the noises you are hearing its worth operating all the switches on your machine especially the record switches.
Put the machine into FWD and then hold in the white safety switch at the back of the nachine. Now put the machine in and out of record about a dozen times.
These machines tend to get used only for showing films and the outcome of that is that the switches (which are self cleaning) get dirty.
Your motor problems, well that's a bit more complicated, its probable that the motor armature is caked up with carbon. It reduces the torque on the motor and gives rise to this sort of problem. The only way to cure this is to strip the motor down and give the armature a good clean. This is quite an involved job and this thread is probably not the place to describe the procedure. Eamil me direct unless others wish to hear and I will start a new thread on this topic.
Hope all that helps, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2004 05:49 AM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Thanks John and Kevin . Very much appreciated . If you own an Elmo GS 1200 , this is the best forum. [Smile] Very precise advices.
Kevin, to strip the wind-motor down and clean it, this is not a job for me . A good repair-shop in Vienna will do it.
Bye
Henry

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 06, 2004 06:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
If your not that way inclined then that sounds like a very good way forward. Best of luck and let us know what they find.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC