8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Advice - Cleaning an Elmo Lens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice - Cleaning an Elmo Lens
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 08:30 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have taken the front element off an Elmo 1.0 lens for the purpose of cleaning. Although I have used a lens cleaning solution recommended for optical lens there is still a slight milkyness to the surface.

Can anyone advise on a suitable cleaner or method of cleaning that will improve on this result?

Thanks

Tony

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 18, 2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brillo Pad! [Wink] Kev

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem with cleaning the objective of a Nikon camera. I could remove the milkyness lining of the liquid by breathing on the lens and use of a micro fiber cloth
Bye
Henry

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 10:20 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Domestos didn’t work then? You could try Mr Muscle, with the benefit that you get a nice lemon fragrance coming from the lens during projection [Big Grin]
I will ask for you tomorrow from my local photographer. [Wink] OH NO! Not a film handler, I AM A JUNIOR!

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 02:11 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Tony,gave me morning sickness when I read you had dismantled a f1 Elmo lens!!!!trev

--------------------
Trevor

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 04:45 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shot blast it [Wink]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 05:39 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lens pen! It uses black powder on a chamois. They have a mini pro that is perfect for projector lenses. I see them in eBay for $5. You can check their site at: Lenspen Site

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2004 10:48 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As promised Tony I have had a word with my local photography shop on this matter and they say. "The fungus that causes this problem feeds on the lens coating and if gone to far the lens will never clean up, as what you see is the damage done to the coating" but this can be cleaned and recoated. “Apparently”
Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

Certainly what Chris says ties in exactly with what I have been quoted for to have my lens sorted out. The lens needs to be proffessionally polished to remove all trace of the original coating and then re-coated to return it to its original optical character, apparently a lack of coating makes the lens surface more reflective and hence less light finds its way through to the screen.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Trevor,

Hope your sickness has passed! You will be pleased to know that I solved the problem with Jif bathroom cleaner- a Brillo pad was not needed.

I have discovered that the new soft focus quality of the lens really suits the older more scratched films- the running lines have disappeared [Wink]

Thanks for the advice everyone. Lens is back together and running well. [Smile]
Tony

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC