8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Interesting Long Play Unit.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting Long Play Unit.
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just required a long play unit which is a bit unusual, made by THE CINEMA WORKSHOP LTD 29 Greenfield Avenue, Hanwell, London.
It has a speed reducer motor that was built in the USA, Chicago, by a company called Bodine Electric Company. It is able to reduce or increase the speed automatically as the reel fills up through a series of linkages that you thread the film through and also has a micro switch that senses when the projector is running or stop’s
Once you have this all going it will stop and start automatically with the projector, it takes 2000ft spools or less. The feed spool is very far back, but could easily add a modification, notice the 50ft spool on the feed arm of the projector, to bring the film round at the right angle, a temporary solution.
Does any one know anything about this long play unit, and has any one else got one.
I may be selling this unit through eBay.
Chris.

[ February 25, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Chris Quinn ]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 09:40 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

Would love to see what this unit looks like but when clicking on the link it asks for a username and password.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 31, 2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always wondered, do long play units have any adverse effects on projectors, ie, can the very long playing time without a stop and cool period cause any damage due to the heat generated atfer such long periods of time?

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 03:05 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

You posted your own log in to AOL Hometown and not to your page. Would love to see the unit, please check and post a new link.

Bodine is a well known fractional horsepower motor maker and have a large line of torque, dc, ac, synch and other motors. All this really means is that they found an existing motor to use on their device.

John

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 31, 2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris, Cant see the pics because it wants your user name and login details.
Bard its about time you gave us some space on here for some pics?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 08:25 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the link [Frown] hopefully this one will work.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/chris101258/myhomepage/photo.html

Chris.

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 06:53 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the new link, that one works!

An interesting solution, looks well made. Probably a limited production item since they used the Bodine motor. Is there any automatic control for tension? (like a roller that actuates a rheostat to change the voltage on the motor?)

You could have a machinist make you a guide roller to replace that 50 foot reel, just a deep flange guide that rotates or is made of delrin and is relieved to not contact the picture area.

Eiki (actually Elf in UK) made a similar device to handle big reels on 16mm projectors. It is a pedestal with the feed and take up mounted side by side and has an ajustable torque take up motor that senses how long it's been on to increse the torque. Of course 6000 feet of 16mm is a bit more to handle than 2000 feet or super 8.

John

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 08:36 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a Spondon Spooler from Spondon Film Services. David Adams, now deceased, ran the company. Check with Derann as I think they bought supplies that were left over stock, but I am only taking a guess on Derann. I built my own using 35mm equipment, but is much larger in size, because it uses 35mm carbon arc drive in projector parts.

To ask the question if a machine can handle longer periods of time under these conditions, I would say yes. (1) The machine is running easier without the load of the reels, it merely has to run cooling fan and drive train (gears, belts, sprockets, etc).

However, if you had two machines and two spoolers, I would keep the maximum equal to the projector's capacities. because it allows the machine to take a rest before running it's orginal maximum rating.

Theater machines 35mm can run all day 7 days a week and never break down, providing they are well maintained, oiled, greased, and so on. They have platters which work differently but is the same intent as your spooler.

Chip G

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2004 04:20 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
This is what i find strange about this unit, there is no clutch mechanism, the film runs through 3 guide rollers, one senses when the film is in motion thus turning the motor on, the other two are connected on a pivot arm that swings round to an angle defined by how much film is on the spool, thus controlling the speed of the motor. I am amazed at how well it works, but i would say not many made, in some areas it looks almost home made, but made very well. The actual motor still carry’s the label stating 115A.C. Which is not the case as would have blown on the 240 volt mains we have here. I am 90% sure nothing to do with Spondon, Chip.
I am wondering if not made for a particular projector, as it is very strange with the feed arm so far back, any ideas out there.
Chris.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2004 09:14 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I think it was a Spondon product, is because it has key parts which identifies Spondon products. The long black arms, the silver rollers, and the wing nuts to hold the reels to the shaft. I can not see them in the picture, but I would even suggest that the shafts themselves are an off white plastic glued to the black arms. It most certainly looks like a Spondon product. I once spoke with David Adams and he said he could custom make a unit to fit in most projection situations. So that means he would have made one slightly different, compared to the base model he offered for sale.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2004 10:20 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Chip Gelmini -- you're still posting here, but you conveniently don't respond to my emails and don't send me the $152.50 you owe me.... It's been well over a year now....
Do you know what it's called when someone takes something and doesn't pay for it?

Richard Clark
Junior

- posted February 02, 2004 10:36 AM      Profile for Richard Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where you could get the torque motors from as it would be good to mess about with the idea?

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2004 10:52 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Plastic on this anywhere, and the label on the back of the unit say's, Cinema Workshop Ltd.
Well maybe i should take it to the next Antique Roadshow.

BBC Programe on antiques, for you guy's over the pond.

Chris. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC