8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SOUND ISSUE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOUND ISSUE
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I plug in my CHINON 7000, the speaker crackles when I adjust the volume and at times the sound seems to be "warbled". It's fairly clear in most spots, but occassionally it sounds like someone's gargling. Any ideas? I hope my unit isn't ready for the junk yard, I love it too much.

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 02:58 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The speaker "crackles" are a pretty common indication of a dirty control. Many times a rapid back and forth motion of the control a dozen or so times will clean it (you can do that with the projector off and unplugged since you're cleaning dirt off the resistor board inside the control).

The garbling sound like a mechanical problem with the sound head, guidance and flywheel (if it's got one--Kodak left that out of the M-100A) and I'll leave that to someone whose been inside one of these before.

John

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 31, 2004 03:51 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,
If you've moved on to the Chinon, does that mean your Sankyo 500 has bit the dust?
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SANKYO just couldn't be saved. I just hope my CHINON isn't without hope yet. It's really a nice unit and I wonder if there's a way to eliminate the "gargle" sound I sometimes get. It happens mostly with music/singing and not so much with spoken dialogue.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 04:31 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be a dirty/worn out sound head. This kind of problem arises when the contact between track and head is not perfectly even and consistent and it affects the frequency ranges relative to the two cases you mentioned.

But it could also depend on poor flywheel bearings/adjustment.
You should make some trials

Good luck
Maurizio

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC