8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Newbie: Projector bulb problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie: Projector bulb problem
michael hedelain
Junior

- posted February 03, 2004 06:43 AM      Profile for michael hedelain   Author's Homepage   Email michael hedelain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to projecting films. I just bought my first sound projector, Chinon Sound 8000, and have run a few sound films through it already... I'm hooked, I'm cooked, I'm stuck like glue!

Anyway, I have encountered a problem with the projector, that I thought you might enlighten me on.
When threading the film , i.e. turning it on, sometimes the motor doesn't start. After a few tries it starts, so this is a minor problem.

But after some time of projection, the projector bulb turns of and the loading light on top of the projector turns on. The film keeps moving. The problem is normally solved by turning the knob to thread and back again.

I have no idea of how old the bulb is, but it's a 100W.

I have not got a manual for the projector either, so I don't know what to look for. Does anyone know where to find one?

Does anyone know how to solve the problem of the bulb?

Thanks
michael

|  IP: Logged

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2004 06:52 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome michael,
and welcome to the world of super 8, i hope you have an understanding family.
Sorry can't help you but sure someone will, there's a few out there with Chinons. [Wink]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2004 10:32 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple solution - get a second machine. Not as crazy a solution as it seems as they're so cheap. If you get a second of the same model then you should have a wealth of spares to keep the better one going. Many of us have multiple machines simply because there aren't any new ones being produced so having several virtually guarantees your hobby for years to come.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 03, 2004 12:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Michael and welcome to forum,( i'm a recent newbie myself), good advice there about getting a 2nd projector, over the years i have aquired a few and it does make sense, there are many excellent machines out there but if you can get hold of a good old elmoo ST1200HD these are very common as well as being very good quality and there are many hands to lend some good advise on repairs and also some spares are still around.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, welcome. Like the others I am not familiar with the chinon, perhaps someone here is. It does sound a bit like a faulty swich or switch circuit. Does it do this if you move the switch very very slightly? Maybe a spray with an electrical contact cleaner might help.
When you move the thread switch does this induce a lot of mechanical activity?
Can you send any pictures?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

michael hedelain
Junior

- posted February 03, 2004 04:22 PM      Profile for michael hedelain   Author's Homepage   Email michael hedelain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the replies.
I do hear what you are saying about a second projector, I just wanted to make shure that this was not a common problem with my type, or any other type projector. Also if this could be fixed by changing bulbs or cleaning the switch it would be sorted.

I'll keep an eye out for the elmo. How much is standard price on the ST1200HD?

Thanks for the advice Tony. I'll try it tomorrow, and take a few pictures of it.

michael

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2004 01:06 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
First if looking for the 1200ST HD make sure it is both a mag and optical type. Expect to pas £stg between £180 and £260 depending on condition and demand.
Chris Quinn is selling one and I have seen both of his projectors in the flesh- watch how that goes. He is only selling because he is dribbling over a Xenon GS.

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 04, 2004 07:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the group Michael. The problems you are having sound like some sort of switching problem. Maybe dirty switch contacts which might happen if the machine has not been used for years.
Yes I think the ST1200HD route would be a good one and yes the one Chris Quin is selling is in excellent (mint) condition.
Another possibility is an Elmo GS1200 which in my books is the tops in super 8 projection. I might be selling a couple of mine in the near future as I am buying a mint condition Elmo GS1200 Xenon. [Cool]
Anyway whatever you decide a very warm welcome. Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

michael hedelain
Junior

- posted February 05, 2004 04:25 AM      Profile for michael hedelain   Author's Homepage   Email michael hedelain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a technical guy, but I tried to open the projector and see if I could pin point the problem. First of all I found out how to unplug the build in speaker, so sound now only comes through the monitor output. Second I set the voltage to 230V. We have 220V here, but setting the voltage to 230V should increase bulbs lifetime.

The main switch on the projector is a big turning wheel. On the back side of the projector it is connected to three electronic switches. The switch furthest away from you is the switch for the light; this switch interchanges between projector bulb an loading light. The other two switches is motor switches, one for each direction.

The electric swithces are some Japanese make plastic boxes with pins to connect the power on the outside. There are screws on the switches but I would not try to look inside before I knew more.

I am somehow unable to upload pictures to this forum and cannot link to my own server, but I hope my description is sufficient.

michael

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC