8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS-1200 Xenon Manual

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS-1200 Xenon Manual
Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 07, 2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen,
I have the manual for the standard model GS-1200 but not for the xenon. Would anyone be willing to scan or copy those sections that deal with operations pertaining to the xenon model? Even better, Brad once asked members to send him scans of manuals that he would post on this site. I'll do the standard manual (that would probably take a week!) if someone would do likewise with the xenon version.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2004 01:09 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Wish I could help but if anyone needs a German GS manual I have one I can copy.

Also could not help but notice that you are about to take that voyage of discovery Doug and join those of us with the Expert status!! Welcome O fellow expert cine GS owning Elmo lover....

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 07, 2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Tony. I feel wiser already.......
Doug

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One time I read that manual, but I had a disappointment! Nothing of more than the manual for the halogen, indeed there is something in less. In the chapter dedicated to the lamp there is:
"in order to replace the lamp, please ask to the assistence"
Nothing of more!

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 07, 2004 11:42 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use to have the original manual. There is nothing inside that is different than the regular Halogen manual. Except as Ugo has said, do not attempt to change the bulb yourself!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 07, 2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tony, Ugo, and Alan. I was hoping the Xenon manual would have a few usable tips but I guess that's not the case. Leon Norris warned me about lamp replacement, saying that those bulbs are like hand grenades!
Doug

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2004 08:36 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug --

Leon is exaggerating a bit.. Yes, these lamps can be dangerous if not handled correctly, but they're not that difficult to deal with.

I've got a friend who helps me with the lamps on my Xenon machines -- here's some things you need to know.

1) wear a welders mask (it can be clear) or some other face protection

2) wear gloves -- if you get oils from your hands on the lamp, it can heat unevenly and blow up.

3) make sure you get the buld aligned right, or you will get arcing inside the projector...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 08, 2004 09:11 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when i was being trained to be a 35mm Projectionist for a film lab. The projectionist who was taught by his father and so on and so on told me once to never open the lamphousing cover when the projector had just finished playing. I asked why and he showed me in the booth all these little nicks and holes in the wall. He said that once a novice projectionist had opened the cover because the bulb was not lighting after a changeover. When he did, it took about 15 seconds and when he left the room, the bulb exploded and there were a million shards of tiny glass that were embedded in the wall!
I always thought about that when Leon told me never to change the lamp in my Xenon.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2004 10:54 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rik --

Theatrical lamps are much bigger and more dangerous than the little ones used in the GS-1200.... Not a fair comparison....

And BTW -- you should never mess with one of these lamps when they are hot...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 08, 2004 10:11 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I found out the price of the lamps...I didn't ever want to mess with them even when cold!

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2004 10:28 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're not that expensive -- the SQP lamps are going to be $205 I believe. That's not bad considering that the lamps last 2000 hours. Think about the ELC lamps -- $10 for 50 hours, so that would be $400 for 2000 hours.....

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 08, 2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,
Thank you for getting Superior to clone the lamp. The price is very reasonable and all xenon owners should be grateful. I'm looking forward to getting my very own SX-2502!
Doug

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,

You're welcome -- it's great that SQP is willing to take all of the time and effort to get these lamps working. Alan Gouger is assisting with the testing (since I sold my GS).

Some good news - I just got the latest iteration of the SX-2501 lamp (for the Elmo 16-CL Xenon) -- so far it seems to be working well, and from what I gather the GS lamp is the same as the 16CL lamp except that it's shorter in length. SQP is going to send Alan a new SX-2502 lamp with the same corrections that they made for the SX-2501 lamp, and hopefully that will do it and the lamps will be available......

Once they are available, I recommend that everyone with a Xenon GS orders at least one spare from them -- we need to prove to them that it's worth their while to make these lamps for us...

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2004 08:34 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Steven,
I would remember to you when you'll have the clone lamp for the Elmo GsXenon, I would buy one of these!

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2004 12:57 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ugo --

As soon as they are ready, I will post the information here about how to order the lamps....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC