8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why a GS1200 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Why a GS1200
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 01, 2004 06:02 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was wondering all of you owners of these marvellous beasties why you love them so.
What is it about them that tickles you so and why has it got to be one of those.
Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2004 03:58 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Super 8 projector ever produced. 'Nuff said.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 02, 2004 12:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many reasons that the GS1200 is head and shoulders above all the other Super 8 projectors. First, it is a really beautiful machine to look at, the quality of the design, finish, and engineering is superb. No flimsy plastic parts on this machine, the GS uses lots of metal, being built like a 16mm projector, and is designed to last a very long time. The 200watt lamp provides a brilliant screen image, particularly when used with the f1.0 lens and fitted with a 2 blade shutter. Stereo sound quality is excellent, though not, in my opinion, quite up to the superb sound quality of the Eumig 926/938/940 stereo projectors. The piano controls, the four motors, the ease of threading, the accessability of the gate and sound head for cleaning, these are the features that set the GS apart.
There may be some projectors out there that are perhaps better than the GS in some particular areas, but I don't think any projector has it all together like this one. Once you have a GS, everything else is second best.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be very interested to hear from Ugo. Ugo got the Fumeo 9119, several GS-1200, and a Bealieu 708EL.

I can see he's leaning towards GS-1200 because that is why he got tons of them (or was it because you got them so cheap?).

Ugo?

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2004 06:28 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go along with everything Paul says. Plus for me you also get a sense that your film is being well looked after whilst passing through.

Unlike my first ever projector back in '83. Cinerex... [Eek!] need I say more.
Col

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 03, 2004 03:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
And as for the xenon version [Wink] Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2004 05:35 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, steer clear of the Xenon version Kev, bloody waste of money. [Razz]

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2004 09:09 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just got my first GS1200, thanks to Mr Elmo, [Smile] though i think it should be Sir Elmo, and all i can say about the GS1200 is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
It should be in a glass case, so i can just look at it, because not only is it the business in projecting films, it is a piece of art to look at. When you consider that these machines where first available in the late 70s you can't help but admire the Japanese, they must have looked like something from NASA when they first came out, when you think of all the junky electronics of the day, these machines could well hold up being produced today without any modifications, well, just the ones Kev would make.

Chris. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Sonny Young
Junior

- posted March 03, 2004 09:19 AM      Profile for Sonny Young     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though I was tempted to buy an Elmo GS, I couldn't see the benefit aside from the stereo sound. Since all of my movies are mono, I nixed the idea and stuck with my standard Elmo projectors.

Still, I'm curious about the GS machines. What are the 4 motors for? The fact that there are more motors, doesn't it make them prone to breakdown? What component is prone to breakdown?

Thanks!

Erkki Tikkanen
Junior

- posted March 03, 2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Erkki Tikkanen   Email Erkki Tikkanen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are Rolls Royces and there are Trabantzs. Elmo just rocks and other only rolls.

Seriously, Elmo is the best there ever was.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2004 02:08 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny, you'll find the original sales brochure for the GS1200 on our web site. Projectors are linked from the home page. www.bfcc.biz

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 04, 2004 06:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, The xenon's a great machine and I cant wait to see it with the 2 blade shutter installed. Money well spent me thinks. [Razz]

Kev [Wink]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the GS1200 is the worst machine available.

That got your attention! Well, I mean, it is far to heavy to take with you to work, to the pictures, days out with the kids etc.

You are forced to wear sunglasses because of the brilliant white light from the ever so bright bulb.

You risk injury from your tie (we always dress to project) getting wrapped around one of those beasts of motors driving that 1200ft spool.

Importing them from around the world, wondering if it will get to the UK in one piece or finding that "one careful owner" model at a dealers stall at the BFCC for a bargain £1200 ($1600).

Hours can be lost
a)lovingly cleaning nooks and crannies with Derann Film Cleaner on the end of a cotton bud (care it don't warp your guides though!)
b)replacing micro switches can also be a joy for those that have never tried it before.
c)seeking that elusive spare part

Ahh, yes, the GS 1200.

Give me my Boots 500 special series anytime.

So then Mr Todd- You gonna get one now???????

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 05, 2004 07:41 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tony if I get offered one for £500 and can stretch the overdraft a bit further yes I would love one.
I think a HD is more in my line really.
I`ve sat and watched a film on a GS and spent most of the time watching the machine longingly.
Do you want to flog me your HD then Tony. That would give you a bit of space back.
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 05, 2004 09:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, My ST1200HD is a real cracker now it's been serviced and had some parts replaced. [Wink] But then the GSxenon is even better. Will I ever use this ST I wonder?

Kev [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Tony Milman on this one.

I know it wont happen again!!

While the Elmo GS 1200 is a great machine it is a
tempermental beastie.

Point 1 Reliability

I have never known an owner of a Elmo GS 1200 yet!!, who when you ask about their projectors don't have their machines away getting serviced or have some sort of fault. This is not an isolated case it is every collector I have ever come into contact with that had one of them.

You hear them rave about the bloody things when they buy them
and within months if not weeks they have some kind of fault
and some of them were bought new.

Point 2 Value for Money

To spend that kind of money on a second hand machine is TOTAL MADNESS. Then collecting super 8 is not for the sane anyway.

Point 3 Sound Problems

Another disappointment is the Elmo GS 1200 in common with Sankyo 800s and Elmo 800s will quickly identify any sound deficiencies in the quality of your super 8 releases.

Point 4 Death & Other Injuries

Try carrying one the things for a while and if you are lucky that pain in your chest is a hernia not an impending heart attack! Honestly they are heavy!! and cost a fortune to ship
for those service checks.

Point 5 Other Alternatives

If you want to buy a machine that will last buy a

smaller Elmo like a

Elmo 800,Elmo 180 or 160

a Sankyo 800 is a worthwhile choice if you can get one in good nick

Bell & Howell DCR, DCM or DCT projectors. They might not be as fancy but they will last.

You could buy five smaller machines for the price you would pay for one of those one careful owner Elmos GS1200s.

Thats a lot of film to run before they clap out and loads of spares!!!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 05, 2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned many projectors and I have to say that you must own one for a little bit to really understand.
My first Elmo GS was a halogen model and after a year or so (in 1984)the left channel cut out. Elmo repaired the unit under warranty and I really didn't have any problems with that unit after that. It picked up a little hum and I was told by the East Coast Elmo Tech (Mr. Norris himself) that I just needed to move some wires away from the sound knobs. Voila! Problem solved!
The GS Xenon playback model was perfect up until the day I sold it! The Record model had a problem with the take up reel solenoid. But considering the machine is around 20 years old, that is incredible performance and longevity!
I bought an Elmo ST1200HD and it was good but not great. The Bauer T610 was super silent, but just not great. After owning both of these models I longed for the picture and controls and visual beauty of the GS. When I got another one I realized that I may always be a GS1200 fan. I still think its their best machine. In Xenon and Halogen.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of wrong things in the posts of Tony and Mike

Tony: "You are forced to wear sunglasses because of the brilliant white light from the ever so bright bulb."

What does it means? Now is it a defect to give a lot of light? Oh Oh.. but I use my GS to project on two metres screen... and believe to me... that's great! And if want to project into a real cinema, I use my HTI high power GS. I did it and for me that day was like a dream. My Gs in the projection booth and my friends in the hall to see himself, like 35mm actors, during our holiday in Turkey!

Mike: "Try carrying one the things for a while and if you are lucky that pain in your chest is a hernia not an impending heart attack!"
Mike, if you want a realy sharpness image, the projector has to be heavy! I spoke with one of the Fumeo engineers; he explained to me during run's projector there are high frequency vibrations which compromise the good quality of the image. To hinder these micro-vibrations it's necessary to have many many iron into the projector!

Right: the GS needs a check when you get it, but after these regulations it runs like a watch!
The Elmo GS1200 is like a Ferrari: it's necessary to check it frequently!

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 05, 2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think on balance I`m with Mike on this one as perpetually skint etc, but as I`ve never owned done,!!!
Its probably living out in the sticks and being miles away ftrom a FIXER and not being that handy myself.
I`ve had a few elmo 600`s over the years and although I`ve had odd faults I never had one that wouldn`t project and put out decent enough sound.
The GS`s do sound lovely, just a shame they are`nt about in more serious numbers so we could all afford one and a second for spares.
I did hear of a chap who got two in london for £60 each not sure if they were the halogen or Xenon, possibly the later.

Best Mark.

PS kev I`d be begging you to sell me that 1200 back if it had optical sound now its ticketty boo.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2004 04:25 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone

I love you all and I dont want to piss on anyone's parade.

The Elmo GS 1200 is a great machine and if you are planning
to project in a school hall or the BFCC it is the ideal projector.

Light Output

However most collectors don't project in large auditoriums one collector who had three Elmo GS 1200 projectors showed his films were!! The back of a door or on the fridge and he had a massive
collection. Explain to me what was the point!!

Most home cinemas and living rooms can cope with 100 or 150 watts. Another home cinema enthusiast had major problems with the light output on his GS 1200 because it was too bright even on the lowest setting. And by the way despite being mint it didnt stop it breaking down halfway through Star Wars.

Something I have never achieved in a public show without GSs

Sharpness

Image sharpness depends on the print. The lens helps, the light helps but mainly the print decides. I have yet to see a soft print turned sharp with a Elmo GS 1200.

Sound

Super 8 prints have surpassed all expectations of what we got prior to video. Sound, however is a different matter. Quality is
to say the least hit and miss even with the latest releases.

Why do you think so many collectors take their sound source from DVD?

A projector like a Elmo ST1200 or Sankyo 800 will find any weaknesses or failings and if you are not talking full features
how are you cover the shortcomings.

Value for Money

When the Elmo GS1200 came out new it was worth it price.

20 years down the road no sorry I cant say it is worth it.

My last horror story is a collector who sold up his collection
for DVD. He had two top of the range Fumeos and a Elmo GS 1200
plus a collection of films.

He got £600.00 for his projectors not each. Together

If you don't believe me phone a dealer for a quote on selling a Elmo GS 1200 I would be surprised if you get more than £500.00
and you will have to pay shipping out of it.

So in conclusion folks

I don't think most collectors need what it offers.

I don't think it is worth the price being asked for it.

and

I don't think it has a track record for long term reliability
without a lot of attention and money.

Ferrari no try Concorde

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo

Us Brits have an odd sense of Humour! (and the Irish aren't far behind!)

Tony [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony

Northern Irish with a touch of Scottish and a drop of French.

Sounds like whiskey and cognac.

The other lot down South live in The Quiet Man country.

Thatched cottages,talk funny so relaxed you think they are on drugs etc.

Want to sell me back Stagecoach yet!!
[Frown]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 05, 2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hey steady Rosie, watch what you are about, theres many a film bod more in love with his GS than his wife you know!!!!
Best Mark.
PS has anyone got a nice affordable super 8 machine with optical they fancy selling me in the Uk or thereabouts.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,
the italians too! "what does it means?" was not about the humoristic phrase, but about the problem you was talking.
Anyway, folks.. REALLY this forum is great and I love you!
During my last passional discussion on an italian forum the blood was pouring down the screen of my PC!
Here is better! [Wink]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark

They are old, tempermental and can give outstanding performances
at night

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC