8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question for Derran.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Derran.
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 11, 2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I just wondered now if its become possible to edit a film on digital then commit to film.
With the amazing advances in tech doings these days is that something that can be done to say make a film digest.
I know the last star wars film was done entirely on digital then obviously transfered to film for the theaters, so does that capacity exist in the UK or US.
IE could a film be done for say a 600 foot run then transfered into negative form or film then negative and so on.
Or can a film be abridged digiatlly linked to a 35mm print and printer for the neg to just print what is selected digitally and also then sound wise somehow.
I know I`ve harped on about it before but I really do believe that its a chance that a proper run of 1/2 hour digests may just be the ticket.
For instance I know you can get First Blood full length but a well done 30 minute version for say £75 and I`d have a crack and many others.

I just wondered if now as things have moved on if a thing like that is possible, maybe Kev can help on this too as its his ball park a bit.
best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2004 02:25 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd need one of those digital to optical negative production machines Mark. They still cost a lot of money but not quite the millions they were a few years ago.

So I think the answer is, not a chance.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 12, 2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John well I`m not suggesting Derran buy one but if a film were edited on some high defination source, the sound is done while you are on and just needs to be advanced slighly for the sound master.
Maybe it could be done and the source sent and done in the US for instance then the neg and sound master sent to the UK.
I think realistically collectors can`t expect Derann or CHC to fund releases of features any more at all but a cutdown is something a bit different, also the hobby can never attract new people when a feature is from £250-£600 odd new and DVD giving a very acceptable show of it is between £5-£10 delievered, but a nice different cutdown at say £70 may just tickle peoples fancy and get a few bits sold and onto the second hand market as well.
Its just a thought and I really feel the hobby needs some lateral thinking to help it go on at whatever level it can.
Someone mentioned the vinyl thing on the other forum and its true some people do still go for it, but also more did origionally too and a person used to CD contemplating vinyl can look at a CD price of say £8-£12 and then changing to vinyl is the same price or just slighly more by a £ or two, its an entirely different ball game. Also you can still of course buy a very accepatble record player new and gauranteed from about £30-£40 and up.
There are also a lot more variables in home film production and a 4 reeler may have different colours, contrast, sound, or stripe probs etc on some or all reels.
A clean simple 400 or 600 foot digest may be the answer and a way too keep the hobby going and as the tech may be there to allow it to happen far more easily than it used to be maybe the Derran lads may think of giving it a go.We on the forum could sort out a great cover for it( especially andreas) and I`m sure at conventions etc you could watch them fly out.
If you are reading Derran if you fancy having a crack at a good modern feature on a 600` Id be prepared to cough up £100 towards the costs involved no strings to help the hobby,and give it a try, would anyone else.
best Mark.
PS Derann would you like me to look in to the lab possibilitites?

Tom Mc Kenzie
Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Tom Mc Kenzie   Email Tom Mc Kenzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems a good idea to me. Any chance of Derann responding to this!!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2004 03:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see there's any chance at all. It costs virtually nothing (except time) to edit a film but to edit a film using video and then back out to film costs a fortune.

I think you need to understand how films come out on the Super 8 market to grasp this. It's not a major project to get an extract out and has to be done as cheaply as possible to keep any viability at all.

Talk to me at the next convention if you get a chance.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 13, 2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well however it could be done the best and cheapest way I meant what I said and if Derann fancy giving a digest of a good recent film a go I will happily chip in £100 towards the costs.
Come on if a few more peole are happy to do that maybe we could ask them to do one many of us would like.
Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC