8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Deranns extract poll

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Deranns extract poll
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just noticed on Deranns web site; http://www.derann.co.uk/ [top left on the front page] is a poll where you can vote for which films you would like to see extracts of. This seems like a good opportunity for us all to have a say in what films we would like to see released.

Well done Derann [Smile]

All that remains for us to do is go and vote [Wink]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Colin Auty
Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Colin Auty   Email Colin Auty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes , nice choice of titles to choose selected scenes from,
I think Derann are onto a winner here ; (I think maybe they're
taking note of some of the comments posted recently in our Forum) ,USE IT THOUGH , its nice to know some dealers are listening!

ps like the new look Derann site

Colin

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 26, 2004 04:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!, Plan Nine from Outer Space; long famed as the worst movie ever made!, a movie so awful that it is somehow wonderful! Certainly a speed bump in cinematic history.

I've gotten very much into the Derann Fantasia extracts lately. I watched the Nutcracker twice last night because I enjoyed it so much. One funky thing I've noticed is that some of them are narrated in French (No big deal since it makes no difference in the musical sections.) Is this something to do with the fact that I bought these films used, or are they all like this?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Mc Kenzie
Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Tom Mc Kenzie   Email Tom Mc Kenzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Italian/French & German prints were released of some extracts of Fantasia as well as Disney in UK/US that might explain the French dialogue.

I think Picolo was the Italian company Im not sure of the French and German companies.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 27, 2004 02:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...actually "Plan 9 From Outer Space" may be that rare case where the extract becomes much better than the full feature. It's so consistently bad that anything you hack out is sure to make for an improvement!

(When you reduce it to the leader and the tail it will be at it's best!)

Thanks for the thoughts on Fantasia. I'm actually considering dipping my toes into the waters of re-dubbing by re-recording the French sections with the original English narration off the DVD. (No big deal since they aren't lip-sync)

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 28, 2004 01:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Duncan and co, definatley last samurai for me, [Wink]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Derann, can provide sharp quality, as they have in their
Disney Features, I would suggest the Matrix.

Each reel is sold and purchased as a Chapter,
so that owners can eventually complete the entire feature.

Once a group of collectors commit to an intro of selected scenes which
they believe they would be satisfied, then a feature length
version can be placed together. Allowing the chapters to be made
available in limited runs, and completing the first feature.
Each run must have a subscription, with a limited run basis.

It may make an appealing approach to sales?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2004 02:05 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michale,

I concur with your segment purchase approach. The only real problem I have with Super 8 feature film collecting is the cost. I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars for a title when I have kids college education bills just over the horizon.

I could however, find enough funds over a period of time to collect sequential reels of a feature to finally make a complete film. I know this isn't something that would make Derann a ton of money but outside the occasional cutdown I can't afford to purchase film otherwise. For me, being burned on Ebay too many times isn't a viable alternative either so my current Super 8 collection grows mainly one reel at a time via Kodak K40 and my Canon 1014XL-S.

On a side note, does anybody have a 6008S Beaulieu they'd let go at a reasonable price to a person who would proudly use it until it dies or film supplies dry up?

I love this format, but my kids also love new shoes. [Wink]

Regards, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 04, 2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must say that I actually voted for 'Plan 9' although this was released on S8 by Heritage many years ago in various formats: a 200' reel, a 400' reel (which only has about 280' of film on it), and I'm pretty sure there was also a 4 x 400' version. In view of this, the ideal would be for Derann to release an extract from an Ed Wood 'classic' unreleased on S8 - e.g. 'Bride of the Monster' which has Bela Lugosi (while he was still alive) in an incredible mad scientist role. Whoever started the nonsense about 'Plan 9' being the "worst ever film" had clearly not seen any of Wood's other films. Some make 'Plan 9' appear relatively good in comparison! But to give credit to Wood, however inept his films were, he did a good job when it comes to entertaining people.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2004 08:22 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just casted my vote.

I will definately buy any Matrix or Plan 9 extracts.

I would like to see the new Spiderman 2 in a feature length, but if not, how about the scene where Spiderman and Scorpion fight it out on a moving train! That would look mighty good on our super 8 screens in scope and stereo! [Wink]

Also Derann, still waiting for that clip from Terminator 3 with the cranes and fire trucks crashing through the city. [Razz]

Nick.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 20, 2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

They're not features or extracts, but I would love to see Derann bring out these Pixar short films:

http://www.pixar.com/shorts/gg/index.html

http://www.pixar.com/shorts/tt/index.html

I'd gladly buy a copy of either!

--------------------

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I'm with you, great idea!

Chris. [Smile]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2004 04:07 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, very good, they would make great little self contained shorts. [Smile]

I'd like to see Wallace and Grommet on super 8 too. Especially 'The Wrong Trousers' and Grand Day Out'.

Any chance Duncan?? [Wink]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2004 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Wallace and Grommet!

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2004 09:49 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derek Simmonds told me a few years back that he had the OK to bring "Wallace & Grommit" out on 8mm from Aardman Animation, but could not get the OK from the BBC, so I would think it highly unlikely that we will ever see the plastacine master and dog on 8mm....shame really as at 25minutes per episode they would sell well (and cheap enough).

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2004 12:13 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wallace and Grommet rule, what a shame that the BBC are such spoil sports, what harm can a few super 8 copy's do, you can buy these at car boots for a couple of quid on video and not much more new on DVD. Hmmm!!
Chris. [Mad]

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2004 12:57 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Chris it is a shame, as they were Oscar winners, they were shown in America in theatre's out there, but no 35mm prints (or hardly any) would have been made in the UK, now if any 8mm collectors in the U.S. could find a print of one or more of the films, then you never know if any "IMPORT" prints could be on the cards.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Barry,
We'll just have to live and hope.

Chris.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC