8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » PASS THE MILK AND BUTTER I'VE GOT WOW AND FLUTTER

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PASS THE MILK AND BUTTER I'VE GOT WOW AND FLUTTER
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2004 11:10 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone suggest why a print of Rupert and the Frog song would have so much garballed sound? I am trying to figure this one out and I really just don't know. Can anyone give a history on exactly what causes wow and flutter?

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2004 09:44 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I cleaned Rupert with filmguard, alot of crud came from the soundtrack. I am wondering if the pinch roller on the ST1200HD needs to be adjusted, and if I can do it myself or should I send the machine out. Now that I have your attention with the title, I would appreciate any replies. Rupert remains slimey, and the print was bought used. It does run better in my other st1200hd units, am having most trouble with the one machine.

Chip G

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip,
Sorry I can't help with that, but does anyone know where I can get hold of a print of Rupert and the Frog Chorus?
Cheers
Col

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Classic Home Cinema in Cleethorpes

Meanwhile I'll be cutting some cheese [Big Grin] [Eek!]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 24, 2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If too much crud had come off the film it may be on the pinch roller and sound drum just below the head, Ive had this problem before and by simply (and gently) removing the single screw holding the sound drum on(the one on the end of the flywheel shaft)pull it toward you and once off clean it well with a alcahol cleaner as well as the rubber roller which makes contact with it when you switch onto play. (also check the 24fps clutch roller and shutters edge for dirt build up) [Wink]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2004 02:52 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, it could be that their is an alignment issue- I know Kev Faulkner has adjusted his in the past. I suppose one way to try this is to gently adjust the pressure at the pinch roller area by hand first to see if it cures the problem

--------------------
Tony

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2004 09:40 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony
Thanks for your information. I checked the sound drum on the operating side it was nice and clean. I had actually gotten in there with a Q-tip and cleaned it a few days earlier before the suggested post above. I have also tightened the take up clutch and it has helped slightly. Was getting very loose (not smooth) film on the take up reel. Putting pressure on the pinch roller does seem to make a difference. If I could get info on how to make the adjustment I would try it but do not know how. I believe that this is one of the earliest designs of the 1200HD unit. The machine has cosmetic looks that are like the 1200D. The lamp house cover mounts with a coiled metal spring...on the newer designs you need a screwdriver. Also on the rubber soundhead flywheel attached to the drum shaft, this is a small roller with a shaft that sticks out where the screw goes in. On the newer 1200HD this is a large flat gold color metal roller with the rubber attached. It is obviously different that is for sure. Please advise and thanks for the help! And yes, it's good to be back here in the forum.

PS The main reason why I want to get this machine going is I have 21 optical films in my collection, and I do not run films unless I can do changeover. This machine has optical sound and is a match to one of my other HD units. So it is important for me to get this up and running.

I have actually built a device that will permit me to use the 1200HD and run 2000' foot reels. This will allow me to splice optical films on to single reels and run a complete show through one machine. More on that later, but for now, I am stuck using 1200 foot reels. It is important for me to repair this machine in question. :-)

Chip

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2004 02:38 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it actually a problem with the machine?

Do other films have wow and flutter problems on this machine?

Does the print in question run OK on your other machine?

Did you apply too much FilmGuard to your print?

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to figure this one out. But I don't think "too much" Filmguard was applied. The print has been run about 10 times now and appears to be better. I recently got this last 1200HD so I am wondering if it is up to proper speed. I am awaiting a service manual that will help me troubleshoot the problem. It could be that the machine is fine and this is one of it's quirks. Remember guys, this stuff is old and hard to repair or replace. So when you get one, you cross your fingers but at the same time don't hold your breath.

Years ago I once bought an ST1200D that was advertised as "sound does not work." And yes, it was those exact words. This was the answer I got from the seller when I inquired for more info.

When the machine arrived, the amplifier was TOTALLY out of the machine, but everything else about the machine was good.

And I expected a machine that had an amp that was just blown. Not removed, and not gone from the package. It ended up as a parts machine for another D I have which worked out OK.

But Geesh........

Chip

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC