8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 940 on eBay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 940 on eBay
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 28, 2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Eumig S940 STEREO projector has appeared on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4791&item=3842129993&rd=1
These are truly superb projectors, with stunning stereo sound quality. Just look at that beautiful control panel!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 28, 2004 03:48 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I owned a Eumig years ago. It was a quality machine. If this one used 1200' reels, it would be alot better. I like the part about accepting clean unripped cash. Very nice looking machine. I wonder why it wasn't cleaned up before the photo was made. Sure looks dusty. The slider pots are easy to clean if scratchy sounding. [Smile]

[ September 28, 2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a belting machine and one of Eumigs better attempts. Boy does this baby need a clean & service before you run any film though.

Craig [Smile]

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 29, 2004 07:09 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be one on Ebay Germany every 2 weeks or so.
They run about US $275-300 so about $350 with shipping.
The "rare" must mean for the US market.
I want one! But then again...I want a Fumeo too...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 29, 2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If these wonderful projectors are going for $350.00, it's a steal! Let's face it, you get 90% of the performance of a GS1200, at a fraction of the cost. I picked up my Eumig S938 STEREO (same machine, without microprocessor recording, but with beautiful analog recording meters which I prefer) for $225.00 in mint condition! And it is my all time favourite projector, superb stereo sound, very quiet, faultless auto-threading, and very relaxing after running the GS1200, and (unlike the GS1200) it does not require meticulous maintainance to avoid scratching your films. GS1200'S are superb machines, but they are not for everyone. They are finnicky and demand constant TLC. Eumig's are much more relaxing machines to operate- and you never worry about film damage with Eumig's.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I do agree that the EUMIG S 938 and S 940 are good machines. They are very gentle with film but in my opinion the actuation and film speed switching is very bad. The film speed is changed by a know installed between two metal plates, which are coated with rubber. Due to age the rubber gets worn and there are no repacement parts available any more. This causes uneven film speed and the machine becomes useless. Another problem is the pressure plate which presses the film against the sound head. This plate is pressed against the sound head using a plastic feather. This feather can break rather easily and you will not get any replacment.

I think it is not recommended to use a machine when no replacement parts are available any more. What can you do when the sound head is worn?

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 06, 2004 09:11 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Morning Heinz!,
Respectfully I must disagree with your comments on the Eumig 938/940. I have had my 900 series machines going back as far as 15 years, and have had absolutely no problems with the speed control, which I have found to be very smooth and very precise. I would not say the same about the old 800 series Eumig's, which have indeed shown wear and slippage problems on the rubber drive disc, but the 900 design is quite different and much better. Yes, the sound head pressure pads are plastic, but I've never had one break, you just have to be a little careful not to bend them during cleaning operations. As far as being able to get replacement sound heads, I think this is a problem with all projectors, not just Eumig's. I still think the Eumig 938/940 machines are an excellent alternative to the much more expensive, and much more unreliable, Elmo GS1200.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC