8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector Prices?? What gives??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector Prices?? What gives??
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed while scanning the www; prices on projectors for our hobby are really strange. Suppose you were selling out all you had, to make room for DVD. You offer your clean equipment to a dealer, who nickels and dimes you (says it needs to be fixed and not worth much). If you're desparate, you agree. Months later, you recognize your equipment that maybe you sold for $100.00; on the dealer's website for $999.00. And to make matters worse, someone new in the hobby actually grabs it for that!!!!! And then of course there's Ebay and we know what that can be like.

Other than to make profit, why do these dealers do this (without giving names.......just search the net and you'll find them)?

Chip G

|  IP: Logged

Tom Mc Kenzie
Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2004 12:29 PM      Profile for Tom Mc Kenzie   Email Tom Mc Kenzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chip

Without asking you which dealers you are talking about in regard to projectors.

Can you recommend any dealers you would sell films?

Tom

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 14, 2004 12:57 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No dealers give you much these days but you make points that many have raised. Its a hard one to answer because if you dont PX on new films then your not likly to get much for them privatley. Of course the e bay is one of those things you either do very well on or the opposite, i wont take a chance on e bay at the moment as too many peole seem to get stung, This hobby is also full of many people who dont mind paying well over the odds for a movie, you only need to look at some of the lists. I think if anyone was to sell an entire collection they would be very wise to take time out and list it the same way a dealer does for the monthly lists and get many copies done. Then advertise in one of the Magazine outlets , and if i were doing that, (which i'm not) i think it would be wise to do it sooner rather than later, no one knows how much longer this hobby will go on for before the prices drop dramaticly.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its all to do with supply and demand, if you want it you'll pay the price, paying over the top is part and parcel of any collecting hobby not just cine.
If you sell your equipment or films to a dealer at a silly price then that's your fault and you can hardly blame the dealers on cashing in.
If i have a film to sell i sell on ebay and get a market price or a better one if there are two or more collectors after my film, or i'll list it here, i have never ever thought of selling anything i have to a dealer i know what i would get, next to nothing.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 14, 2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was living in San Francisco in about 1986. I had my Elmo GS1200 which I paid for $400 (used) . I was moving to Los Angeles and I was curious what I could get for my machine. I walked into a Camera shop and I was informed that Super 8 doesn't exist anymore and he would gladly take it off my hands for $50! I laughed and walked out.
Fast forward to 2002. I walk into a Camera Store in New York City. Lo and behold they have a lot of Super 8 gear! However, they want $299 for a beat up Sankyo 700. $1200 for a Nizo 800! He told me it was vintage gear!
Things haven't changed all that much it seems. The shops very rarely give you a bargain price unless they don't know what they have. Its like the pawn shops here in the states see any guitar that says Fender on it that looks old and the prices start at $1000!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 15, 2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, i do see your points, in fact two hobbies that cashed in disgustingly on kids was not too long ago with the TY beanies and the Jap cards. People would go to ridiculous prices,up to several hundred pounds for a bear or in one case i know of £100 for a single character card. As you say anything is worth whatever people will pay. If i were in buisness i'd be lying to say i wouldnt cash in. [Wink]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ,yes..supply and demand. However, I've just once again acquired a beautiful Elmo ST1200HD...in perfect condition...for a very small price.....on Ebay. I've bought five machines 16 and 8mm on ebay in the last year and a half and every one of them has been excellent values. There are hugely overpriced machines listed...and reasonably priced ones...some by knowledgable sellers...others by brokers or scrap dealers. I guess I've been very lucky. We hear a few horror stories about ebay and remember them....and forgot all the successful and satisfying transactions.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2004 02:55 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sort of thread has been on the forum before and whilst I understand all of the points raised dealers are not charity cases and if you don't like the price don't buy. Yes I have had a fair share of luck on ebay but just recently I bought one from a dealer. It went wrong quickly and althought the problem was sorted I lost confidence and my nerve. The dealer sorted it out no problems and mymoney (quite a lot!) was returned without an issue. So I am happy and am in the process of re-cycling half of the purchase price in film with that dealer. Long term custom assured.

Without dealers there is only ebay. However, can we say the same for every dealer out there? I doubt it! (oops there I go again!)

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC