8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Thank You

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thank You
Duncan MacLeod
Junior

- posted November 17, 2004 11:23 AM      Profile for Duncan MacLeod   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan MacLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all who attended the 28th Northern Film Collectors Convention on the weekend. Hope you all had a great day and thank you for the support.

All the best,

Duncan

--------------------
Why not visit the Derann Film Services website on www.derann.co.uk

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2004 11:53 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Duncan, welcome back! We wondered what had happenned to you thought it was something we had said [Big Grin] .

Having heard such good things [mostly from Adrian who I think must be on commission [Wink] ] about that event from way up North of Watford I'm definately going to try and get up there next year.

Have to see if I can drag the Lightwater bunch along too [Smile] .

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, must be done Mike.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 17, 2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will be a predictable comment, but I thought it was great! Maybe Duncan can provide a figure for the attendance on the Sunday but I thought it was at least as many as last year and there was a long queue even 15 mins after the doors opened. The number at the Saturday dinner was slightly up on last year, and my table (D) is still celebrating winning the quiz! The complimentary bottle of champagne was much appreciated. Plenty of good bargains to be had on the Sunday - I bought, from the bring and buy, an near mint 1990s Elf Super Slim Slot Load 16mm projector for £70!!! The auction was a smaller than usual but still lasted over an hour. The most expensive item was a rare full length Jason and the Argonauts, which went for £100.

So, UK collectors, please don't miss the next one: 19/20 November 2005. There were collectors from Ireland, Italy and even Australia there this year, so what excuse have you got! And it's not just me saying this, on the train up I found myself opposite Barry Attwood, who rightly said something like "If people make the effort and experience it for themselves, they will keep coming back."

Thanks to Anne and the Derann team for another fantastic weekend of 'absolute pleasure'!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2004 03:27 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes your right Adrian, Blackpool was another fun event, with many a bargain to be had. I know for a fact that one collector Rickey Daniels tried Blackpool on my advice 3 or 4 years back, and he hasn't missed one since, so it's true Blackpool does get into your blood (this last one was my 15th in a row), so if there are any of you out there who need at least a year to arrange your plans, well you have officially got it, as Blackpool next year is one week later, so stop dithering, and make your mind up and come, you won't be dissapointed.

Paul Wilson
Junior

- posted November 19, 2004 08:13 AM      Profile for Paul Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to agree with Adrian, its a pity more from down south cant make the effort to get to Blackpool.
They expect everybody to come to Ealing but not prepared to make the effort themselves to come north, they use the pety excuse "its too far" what would happen if the dealers up north used that expression to come to Ealing wonder what would happen then.
I would like to thank ALL at Derann for putting on such a great weekend and for everybody who attended its true what Barry said once you go you cant stop going each year.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2004 10:27 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

I do think that you are being a little uncharitable here. I happen to live in the south (though not originally from here) and would love to come to Blackpool. Indeed I shall but it needs some planning especially as I have a large family and like many people money is an issue. It is hard enough to sustain the super 8 thing at home without running off for a weekend - oh and before youask no they would not come too.

Personally, I don't expect anyone to go anywhere- surely that is entirely up to you? But I do agree that not to support the fragile hobby where you can will only result in less and less support all round.

I am sure that you will see the lightwater 6 at Blackpool next year [Wink]

Oh, welcome to the forum! [Smile] .

--------------------
Tony

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2004 11:06 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackpool was fantastic and my thanks go to all at Derann, and to all who helped. Bob Nichols did a fantastic job in the 8 mm cinema; I know he puts many hours of work into his programmes of film. The Bring & Buy was fantastic; Elmo projectors at £60!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul

Welcome to the forum [Smile] .

Like Tony, I too would like to make it up to Blackpool and am certainly hoping to do so next year, I have to say that it is as a result of this forum and the comments of people like Adrian and Barry that I am tempted to do so, but doing anything super 8 that takes more than a day has to be carefully arranged and tactfully broached on the domestic front [Roll Eyes] .

For me Ealing [which is a fantastic event] is only an hour away, Blackpool would require an overnight stay so takes a little bit more negotiating as I wouldn't be bringing my partner [Wink] .

Any how, looks like the Lightwater 6 will be going up next year, and the way things are going at the moment I think it could be the Lightwater 12 [Big Grin] .

As Tony said, this hobby is so small that we should all be doing all we can to support all the events and all the dealers.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Paul Wilson
Junior

- posted November 19, 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Paul Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike

I didnt mean to be uncharitable but it does seem to me that the majority of the members on this forum are biased towards one event only and not to the others.
I live in Manchester but make an effort to come down to ealing twice a year and I have 2 kids and a wife as well so I know about money being tight but you dont have to go made bon money to enjoy the day, anyway enough said I have had my say and hope that everybody takes it on board and has a think about it.
No doubt all and sundry will be putting in their four peneth but as the saying goes truth hurts.

Thanks for your welcome to the forum, I have been collecting 8mm since mid seventies and have got a fair collection, three of my prized titles are (full length features) Star Trek The Motion picture, and yes it weas released over in the stated by Marketing full length, Close Encounters, one of the few prints and Superman The Movie, this is one of the rarest, so I was told it was made for the crew of the film and never intended for public but I got hold of one, the quality is superb.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2004 12:28 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul

I'm very envious of you for your print of Close Encounters, I saw a reel of this on the big screen at Ealing and was amazed at the quality. I understand that Derann only released a few of these prints before they were asked to return the negative, is that right?

On the Subject of people on the forum supportig Ealing, you are right that many of us do but that is in part because many of us came to know each other through Ealing or met up at Ealing because it was an event that was easily accessable to us, it kind of grew from there.

I am every bit as keen to make it up to Blackpool and know that many others on the forum are as well, Adrian and Barry for instance go to every one! I always hope that we don't show a bias on here towards one event or another or for that matter the dealers. We tend to discuss those which people have experience of and those that contribute to the Forum, Derann and Perrys for instance.

Any way, great to have you on board and as another Blackpool goer you will be able to join forces with Adrian, Barry et al to make sure that we all get up there next year [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2004 04:12 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul.

One of the things I have discovered is Tadley. Then I discovered a small one at Rickmansworth. OK, still "down south" but I did not know they existed because I don't have the history that you guys do.

Truth may hurt bit in my limited experince the "soft southerners" never like it straight up [Roll Eyes]

What is REALLY important is not to let the organisers of these key events fall out amongst themselves as to whose event is bigger, better or more important that the other's. They are ALL important.

I was really impressed to find Classic at Tadley- where were Derann or Perrys? Naturally they weren't there because they could not cover their costs. [Frown]

See you November next year! [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 19, 2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must agree that all events are worthy of support, but I acknowledge that very few people can get to everything. E.g. I've never been to Farnworth, but I'd certainly like to, having read many positive comments about it. If anyone in the UK has never been to the BFCC, it's also a must. I'd also highly recommend Tadley, although don't expect to see so much film for sale as the main emphasis is on entertaining the audience via what's on the screen.

I must admit to getting a bit obsessive about promoting Blackpool, and it's partly with a view to encouraging the support that will keep it going for many years to come. However, the main reason is that I - and everyone I know that goes - has such a good time that I hate to think of other keen collectors missing out! The ideal is to stay 2 (or better still 3) nights, so that you have the fun of a short holiday as well as the dinner and convention.

Adrian

[ November 20, 2004, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC