8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bulb Issues (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bulb Issues
Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2005 10:18 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago:

"With that said, you know I'm looking for a projector to get started. Believe me, I haven't lead you astray at any point. Would have loved for it to be something that you could've done. You can kind of blame Sankyo for removing the obviously needed protection that would have saved much of this situation.

If you are going to dump it, please let me know. I would be happy to give you something for the projector and pay for shipping it to me. Obviously, that won't recoup your loss but at least you know it's going to someone who knows what the problems are and will take the risk. Let me know what you think and if that sounds fair. Otherwise, good luck on it and really sorry for the problems caused by a problem lamp socket. Shouldn't have been that disastrous."

Keep me in mind if you do decide to dump it. Also, watching that item. Asked the seller about motor function. He said motor is running just can't find why reels don't turn. Suspect it's more than a bad belt.

Regards,

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 14, 2005 10:55 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or its a belt....and you may have the deal of the century! [Smile]
Good luck. Hang in there! I had a few problem projectors till I stumbled upon the GS1200. Then again sometimes this one acts strange at times! [Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 14, 2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we all just ought to go back to Bell & Howell's silent super-8 projectors (the all-metal ones like the model 346), complete with long-play units and our own twin-track magnetic head add-ons [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 14, 2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Rick that you decided to disagree with me on the forum here. All I was trying to do was help another fellow collector who has a probelm with a projector. Sorry if you obviuosly felt that I was treading on your toes in this matter!!!
Yes I understand what your saying about the lamp etc, but that voltage for the lamp is AC and when it goes on the control board will be rectified to give a DC voltage. If the rectifier has gone open circuit for whatever reason the lamp will still operate correctly but the amp will be DEAD and all associated items fed from that rectifier. A sudden back emf beacuse of the lamp problem could easily take a rectifier block with it.
I would still say that a voltage check at the rectifier and subsequent smoothing cap would be worthwhile before Michael gives up.
I have passed the details onto our resident guru in the UK Bill Parsons for his opinion.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 14, 2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good point Kevin. For what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree that a check of the rectifier is in order before any other steps are taken. There's quite a good chance that's the culprit right there - it just still seems to me like the problem is really a minor one with an easy fix - just locating it is the troublesome part.

[Smile]

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2005 04:31 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So I turned the machine off and checked the bulb. I forgot to unplug the machine first, and as I began to loosen the bulb, I heard a pop and sparks flew. Now, there is NO sound, and the smaller, dimmer light under the sound head doesn't work.
Ok, back to basics. After you installed a new lamp the lamp and motor work but no sound or pilot light. One word of caution, when dealing with these projectors, they ARE wired differently for different markets to meet local electrical standards. An Eiki sold for UL/CSA won't be the same as one sold for the UK or Germany, so a schematic and especially fusing will be different. One Eiki, the SL series sold in the US has two fuses on the amp (exciter and amp), the same machine sold under contract to the US military has a detachable power cord and 2 ADDITIONAL fuses on the high and low side of the 117 volt line.

So back to your projector, most machines use an auto-transformer for the lamp since a traditional transformer would be way too heavy to provide the amps at the low voltage, but there are windings for the various other voltages. So we need to get back to the multimeter and see if you have an AC voltage for the amp coming off the transformer and then trace it. It's very likely that a diode could have blow in that instant you heard the pop since the projector was plugged in anything is possible including feeding the high side of the lamp to the chassis and the voltage could have exceeded the input diode on the amp card capacity.

Also, if the projector has a speed control card for the motor, is that running properly? Do you have both speeds? Are the accurate? It could have been a victim of the same thing or if it's ok, then the problem is just on the amp card. Of course many US projectors just used induction constant speed motors and belt changes since the company didn't have to deal with various voltages or Hz rates that were necessary to accommodate in other parts of the world.

I have an Eiki SNT which was built for the international market so it can be switched between 220/117 and 50/60 hz with switches and a motor pulley change. It's wiring is very different from the normal US sold product. (On the other hand, the EX6000 pedestal xenon machines were all built for 117/220 and the supplied pulleys were 50/60 hz).

John

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev! [Smile]

Where would I find the rectifier and smoothing cap? Are they in the picture at the top of this thread? I might see if I can get a voltage checker - can I find them at any hardware store?

Thanks! [Smile]

Michael.

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael and everyone else!
I wish I lived nearer to you Michael, I would be round with a test meter to help you out! Kev passed on the diagram to me to have a look at, it is not clear to me looking at the rather poor copy of the diagram what happens to the lamp common (return) it may well do as Rick suggests, it does appear to be rather an odd arrangement to me, but it does make sense to start at beginning and check the AC into the bridge and DC out, there are only two bridge recs, the one you are looking for is drawn as two double diode units (in one block) wired together in a bridge, that is if we have the correct diagrams for the model you have! Also it is worth checking the underside of the boards for burnt print, this is a strong possibility, you could even have a damaged output ic,it is unfortunate but you do need a bit of technical knowledge to get to grips with this type of fault.
Apologies if I have been over ground that has already been covered, one thing this is certainly creating some interest on the forum, we may end up not talking to each other, but it’s all interesting stuff.

Bill.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2005 11:20 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I re-read my post and it does look like I'm a getting testy with you which absolutely was not the case. The more input the merrier. In electronics, as you know, there can be many possible causes to one symptom and certainly a bum rectifier is possible. I was just trying to give, from my perspective and with literally thousands of hours of troubleshooting complex electronics, my best possible theory considering the wiring diagram provided by Mike. It's typically not very likely, though not impossible, for a short circuit spike to get past a close-by ground. The bridge rectifiers in my past experiences can usually take a substantial overload before failing.

That said, without either of us having access to the machine and being able to physically measure anything we're all giving it our best "guess".

Last, just to help Michael, the small black object in his picture of the motor board next to the blue capacitor is a bridge rectifier. I believe from the schematic supplied by Mike that it's the rectifier for the motor voltage. Note: the value of the filter cap on the schematic is 1000uF for the motor. The value of the blue filter cap in his picture is that value. The schematic shows that the filter for the electronics is 4700uF. My deduction was that the bridge and filter for the electronics is on the big sound board under the motor board since the 13.5 VAC is shown connecting directly to the sound card.

One last thing, Michael, if you do pick up an inexpensive multi-meter available at Radioshack to check voltages, just be very careful where you stick their probes. Having done it myself more than once, it's easy to wipe out another component by the probe slipping and shorting something else out.

Good Luck and many apologies again for my Post, Kevin. Wasn't meant to come off sounding harsh and would never want to alienate anyone and especially one with all your experience with these oldies but goodies.

To John Whittle, I agree it's clear that the unit Mike Peckham has is "more" protected than the one Michael is troubleshooting, unfortunately. Just a quick answer on the motor it is a DC unit with tach/generator feedback to a motor control IC. If you need or wish better, clearer shots of the wiring diagram and schematic, I have those that Mike was kind enough to forward to me.

Rick

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, have to add one more post to this thread then shut my trap.

Bill, I can't believe you're not boarding a flight immediately with trusty multi-meter in hand. Of course the SST is gone so would be a devil of a flight. Me too. I wish I were closer to Michael to flop my own equipment on his problem.

I hope he get's it done reasonably cheap. And does anyone want to make this an even 60 replies?

Rick

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 15, 2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There.

Happy?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 10, 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double post... Moderators, please delete...

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 10, 2005 09:01 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this topic has been asleep since May... well... Michael, do you still have your Sankyo Stereo-800? Have you tinkered with it any further? Or has it been tucked away in the corner this summer?

Reason for my reviving this thread is an eBay auction I noticed last night. It's one-day only and ends in six hours (I really should have posted here about it sooner!) - as you can guess it's for a Sankyo 800 being offered as a parts/repair machine. The seller says the bulb works (which means power works!!) and everything seems to be in great shape although the reels won't move. This could be a great replacement for your defunct machine, especially if you can take parts from both to make a working unit (should this be necessary).

Just hoping the price doesn't shoot up near the end as it so often does. [Cool]

Oops! Almost forgot: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7545432743&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 10, 2005 06:23 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone just got a bargain [Smile]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 10, 2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, too late now [Frown] I tried to win but apparently was just a few dollars too shy. Ahwell.

Wonder where Michael is, though...

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 12, 2005 11:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Jan, Osi here, (duh, It's right above the post!!) Could you write me as I lost your address to write to you. Did you recieve my reply?
all the best

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 12, 2005 09:23 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did, and my email address is right in my user profile which you can view by clicking on my name here on the forum. [Smile]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted February 07, 2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen, (and ladies?)

well, shortly before Christmas I bought the Sankyo 800 from Michael Clark... relieving him from a potential boat anchor [Wink] and giving me another project to do...which I'm finally getting around to now. Having just re-read the whole thread from the beginning, I'm now armed with a wealth of info and some good starting places to check out with a multimeter... A few questions I do have, though:

1. Whoever has the high-resolution scan of the wiring diagram (the one that Mike Peckham emailed to Michael Clark), could you forward a copy to me via email (jbister at neo dot rr dot com) please?

2. There are supposed to be 3 fuses in the projector.... now we've established that this particular unit is missing the sound board fuse (actually it looks like someone took it out and soldered a short piece of thick wire in its place! I wonder...) - but where are the other two fuses supposed to be located? I cannot seem to find any. Then again, however, I've yet to take the machine further apart to get a better view of things. Are they hidden somewhere inside? Near the power transformer?

Thanks in advance [Smile]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 02, 2006 12:09 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is continued here:
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001730

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC