8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film from Derann

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film from Derann
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 01:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to order film from Derann June's list and this would be my first experience. According to the list some titles they write about the original boxes but there are more titles which they don't. I was wondering if this just because they forgot to write or simply because those movies don't come with original boxes?

If the film don't come with original boxes how they pack it? Come with the white generic boxes or photo copy picture stick on to the box?

I am really box minded collector, which art work cover box become more important.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some films don't have their original boxes...Derann sell them as they receive them i.e. with original box missing. Don't ask me where such boxes get lost. You will be lucky to get your film now...you could try, but most sell within 2-3 days of the list going out. Always ring as soon as you can.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, Do as i do and use your PC to make your own cover. Get hold of some 400 and 600ft boxes, (800ft no longer availible [Mad] ). You can make better covers than most films ever came with from new.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 02:01 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most films sell within minutes of them listing. I inquired about Toy Story the minute I received the list. The minute I received it..so I called.. they informed me.. sorry but film #......has been sold.
I almost expect them to never have the film I want...sigh..

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 29, 2005 02:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Sympathies Alan, I saw that Toy Story a couple of hours too late because I was busy at the time and felt much the same.

That had to be one of the most amazing Derann lists I've ever seen! Feature Length Sound of Music, Feature Length Titfield Thunderbolt and Feature Length Toy Story all at the same time!

-At least we can content ourselves that the collectors market is lively. If the day ever comes that these films sit waiting for weeks, watch out! Nobody can support this hobby on their own, we need to be a marketplace in order to have companies interested in us!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 02:37 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the highest regard for Derann but have often been frustrated because their s-h lists sell out so quickly.
I receive the list on a Saturday and you then know you will have a devil of a job getting through to them on the Monday and when you do,all you wanted has gone!
Ive no idea what they could do appart from staggering the lists in the way that CHC do.
As has been said,at least it shows the hobby is healthy. I just wish I had greater success getting through beforeeveryone else!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon its just one bloke buying the lot [Big Grin]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am too newbies in contacting Derann. I did a couple days after receiving the list and contact Gary with 5 titles, none of them were still available.

But let's back to the box issue. If majority the boxes are missing, how could we measure that the films are in good condition? My assumption is that good film comes from a good collector and a good collector will maintain the original box, isn't right?

any comment?

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a far higher success rate by Emailing them direct. I think that sometimes the emails get looked at earlier than they start answering the phones. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 29, 2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Here's another way of looking at it: A good collector will maintain the films in good packaging, whether or not it is original. Many collectors value the original packaging, especially if it is illustrated. On the other hand, I've gotten a couple of Derann used films on really good quality reels and cans such as Gepe's, and despite the fact that this isn't "original" it does show that the former owner cared for the film, certainly more so than an abused original box.

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truthfully Winbert the addition of an original film box being included has no bearing at all on the film's condition. Yes it is nice to get the matching film and box, but so many films I've bought from various sources have been scratched and damaged even when supplied in nice original boxes. The key really is to look for the dealer's grading system, grade A or A/B being the best to go for, and also to email to reseve a film and perhaps add a question or two like 'is the colour faded' or any other concerns that are not clear in the listing description. I used to get wound up like the rest of you when titles were always sold (especially as Monday morning is usually manic for me and impossible to 'phone Derann anyway) but as with Ebay most films turn up again from time to time on other dealer lists (and sometimes for less money too!) and life is too short to worry about these things. Now would the purchaser of the Toy Story print please reveal themselves [Mad] [Wink] !!!!!!!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have been selling some features recently and yes I also have Toy Story [Cool]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 29, 2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....

What do you think of the Derann Toy Story? Someday, I'd like to get a print and an independent review would be nice!

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2005 01:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An independent review? I'll dig out the issue of "Super 8 Film Review" it was in sometime and slap it up on the web. In the meantime the print is excellent and the stereo sound is good.

Everyone, don't assume the super 8 market is healthy because Derann sell all their second hand films within hours of them being listed. Whilst that's a good thing it is the sale of new prints that really exposes the state of the market. I notice many are wanting a print of Toy Story but if you wanted it that badly you'd just order a new print. That is what will govern how long the hobby survives. But then, I'm sure you all know this and I can understand the responses I'm about to have in terms of cost. In fact, on the anti-8mm forum recently I saw someone criticising a super 8 collector for spending money on new product when he had a wife and children to feed. Each to their own - where would this hobby be without the odd loonie? (Myself included!!!)

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2005 05:04 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clancy

There is always the work house for the wife and kids if they want to eat [Smile]

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2005 06:44 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely right Tony. But I'm getting sick of all the letters and phone calls begging me to come and get them out.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2005 01:26 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom I agree about buying films from E bay,Ive had a few good ones but far more that are crap antd that ill never show again.

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
IT WAS I THAT PURCHASED THE TOY STORY FILM FROM DERANN'S LATEST LIST [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

So Sorry to everyone who was dissapointed [Wink] [Wink]

Seriously, I know as well as anyone how frustrating it is to ring from 8.55am Monday morning, until 10.15am. Eventually get through and then be told the film has gone. Thinking about it though, I think the way it is done, is the fairest to everyone. E-mail list arrives in the inbox on a Friday night, postal list on a Saturday morning. You cannot phone until Monday morning, so we all get a fair crack of the whip. It just depends on who is going to be the luckiest on that particular Monday.

Col

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC