8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S938 Projector Maintenance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig S938 Projector Maintenance
Mark Tooze
Junior

- posted June 29, 2005 07:02 AM      Profile for Mark Tooze   Email Mark Tooze   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone out there got any good tips for maintenance of this particular projector? In particular - mine always seems to run a tad slow - even at 24fps. And the right hand stereo channel is virtually (but not totally) silent - would a good sound head cleansing resolve this? Also has anyone got an electronic copy of the manual for this projector?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,
I also have a Eumig S938 and it is my favourite projector. Maintainance on this projector is very straightforward. I would recommend the following:
1)Before every use:
Clean the gate with cotton swab wetted with furniture polish and blow out with air duster.
Remove the sound head pressure pad assembly and wipe off any oxide with cotton swab soaked in furniture polish, then blow with air duster. Blow out the sound head area.
Use the same procedure on the front sprocket, rear sprocket and film guide channel and rear roller.

If your projector is running slow try the following:

Wipe the rubber drive discs and ball with alcohol. Blow dry with air duster. Oil and grease on these parts will cause slippage and slow running.
Apply a little grease to the gears (sparingly!)

If the second channel of the stereo track is not playing, try cleaning the sound head itself very gently with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol. Also check the little plastic pressure pads to make sure that they are sprung properly and are not hanging up due to dirt, oxide build-up etc.
If you still have a problem it is probably that the track 2 head is worn out. This will always wear out before the main track head due to the narrower stripe width (greater head pressure). If this is the case you will need to replace the head. Since these are no longer available new , you will have to try and buy any cheap 900 series projector and pull the head out of that.
Good luck!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeap, As above, we had one of these and like many Eumigs suffer awful with slowing down. it turn out to be the two rubber drives and cleaning with alcahol is the main fix but also remember to clean the the spinning spindle that hits these rubber wheels when you switch on. In our case it was extremely bad and we had the rubber wheels coated in some kind of solution which when set gave a new surface. Never seen this done before or since but it do the job perfectlty. On our othe Eumigs cleaning was all that was required. [Wink] come back and let us know how you get on.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 03:36 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to buy one of these if anyone has one...even running slow!

Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2005 06:30 AM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Eumig 938 had the same problem, the second channel gets quieter.The sound-heads of the Eumig´s easily wear out I inserted another sound head, that was very simple, the sound was very good again.
My second Eumig had also the problem that the speed changed and so the sound was bad .I cleaned the rubber drive disks with alcohol and gave something "Kollophonium", which one uses for soldering , on the rubber disks. I dissolved the Kollophonium in alcohol.
Best regards
Henry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC