8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo S800 Projector question..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo S800 Projector question..
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 06, 2005 09:53 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a new toy! A Sankyo 800 stereo projector. Very good optics thanks to the 1.0 lens (Thanks Michael!).
The sound is very, very good. I know what they mean now when they rave about the sound quality. It seems a little more musical to my ear than the GS but it could be down to the speaker. I am sure when they are hooked up to a separate amp they are both equally good.
Now the only problem I have is that on some films the machine is a little noisy. Its no Bauer (but then again.. what is!)and it seems a little bit noisier than the GS even!My machine that is.
So the noise is coming from the entry point where the film goes in. Where the first sprocket is there is a piece that goes under the sprocket and it seems to be clicking up and down at times. Do any of you know how I can stop the clicking? If I get my finger and pull the little piece away from the sprocket pulling south, towards the ground, the clicking will stop. But its not such a fun way to watch a film! Suggestions anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Alan!
I have been using a STereo 800 for almost 10 years now and I can assure you it is a very good machine. In spite of this, I've never experienced the problem you are lamenting here, probably the part involved is a little lose, but I'm not sure I understood whar piece it is. Could you post a pic, please?

--------------------
Maurizio

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 06, 2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan, its usually if the sprocket metal part has been bent out of shape or possibly set up wrong or alittle out or the shaft bent if film spooled off then jammed up round the arm etc if you will and the machine still tried to pull the film through.
Does the sprocket run nice and evenly,( look at it from the side and also from the front going in with the film if you will. Be careful as if going out of line or a bit this way and that it can damage films, on these all you usualy have to do is keep that front sprocket shoe clear and your fine.
You may need to source another sprocket to sort it out, hopefully not though. Mike newell in the UK had some parts I believe.Good luck.
Best Mark.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 06, 2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, was it Michael Clark who sold you his Sankyo Stereo-800? ... Was he ever able to get it repaired before he sold it? [Confused]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 07, 2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gang!
Thanks for all the helpful info. I think it is just finicky at times. I played Creature Comforts all the way through and it was
"chatter free"! So it must be like the GS in some ways. It is particular to certain films. I probably need to treat the films with renew or something. All in all though.. this projector seems to be more the son of the GS1200 than the GS800. Great sound, did I mention Great? And the picture with the 1.0 lens is very nice indeed. The size of the picture isn't as large as the 1.0 on the GS but the picture is just as sharp and contrasty. This is a sleeper for sure. Will I keep it? Hmm....not sure yet. Still waiting for that elusive Fumeo....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 07, 2005 09:07 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*feeling ignored*

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 08, 2005 12:16 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,

sorry! didn't mean to offend. No, I got only the 1.0 lens off of Michael but I got the Sankyo Machine off of Ebay.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 06:06 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan-

Well, I have a very long history with the Sankyo ST-800. In fact, thats all I've really used since 1980. I have owned a total of four and currently have two. These are very good projectors, although probably not quite as good as the legendary Elmo GS 1200 (I've never had one [Frown] ), but very close to it.

In my experience, I had the exact same problem with the chattering/unsteady picture on two of the projectors, while the other two never chattered at all. Now, I'm not one of those technical/mechanical type people, but I was determined to correct the problem on the Sankyo that I currently use. So I studied the area that seemed to have the problem, which is right at the film gate. I noticed that if I opened the film gate while the film was chattering through, the chattering would stop. But, of course the picture would then be out of focus. Then I tried something different. Instead of opening the film gate, I used an open end paper clip and pulled the top spring of the film gate slightly away from the film (towards the lens). This slightly released some of the pressure from the film gate, and that totally stopped the film from shaking and caused the film to run very smoothly [Smile] ! I then used a very thin pin to lock the the spring into place. The problem was totally solved.

NOTE: Not all films chatter. Usually the Derann releases run smoothly. Its usually my processed home movie film and just some super 8 releases that I've had problems with. I can usually tell if it will run smoothly by dangling a few feet of film from the reel. If it has a smooth curl, like the letter "J", then it usually will run smoothly, but if it has that sort of warpy look, you'll have to adjust the pressure.

I'm pretty sure this will solve your problem. Good luck Alan!

Nick.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 08, 2005 07:06 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, no offense taken. [Smile] When you said "thanks Michael" I thought you were referring to your Sankyo projector; I didn't realize it was only in regard to the 1.0 lens. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2005 11:57 AM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, I'm jealouse that you have a working Sankyo Stereo 800. I never did get mine to working.

As for the clattering, I have that problem occasionally with my Sankyo 460 - right at the point the film enters the projector. Like you, if I slightly pull on it, the clattering stops. I'll have to try the ideas mentioned above! [Smile]

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2005 03:53 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Michael. What's the problem with your sankyo 800?

--------------------
Maurizio

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio,
read here

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 16, 2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Old thread, but I wonder... Michael, whatever happened with your Sankyo Stereo-800? Still using it? Stashed away gathering dust? Repaired? Or sold?
Somehow I have the feeling I asked this before, but I totally don't remember if I did...

--------------------

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2005 12:15 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I still have that Sankyo 800 projector - its in the box and sitting on the floor in the corner, collecting dust! [Frown]

I would sell it, but I'm too lazy to pack it up and lug it to the post office, plus I wouldn't feel right selling somone a non-functioning projector. Anyway, I FINALLY got my hands on an Elmo projector!! I just purchased an Elmo ST1200D that runs both magnetic and optical films. I haven't received it yet - I am expecting it any day now. I'm so excited - I just hope it works as good as the seller described. I might keep the Sanky and just use it for rewinding films.

BTW, I was really impressed with your GS1600 job! [Smile]

Mike.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 30, 2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GS1600?? [Big Grin]

Ohh, how I wish I could say that I had one of those! [Big Grin]

(Thanks, though!) [Smile]

--------------------

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, whatever you call that big machine you built - I saw the pics and it looked awesome! [Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 01, 2005 10:52 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
* proud swell *

Anyway, back to your Sankyo... if you do decide you want to sell it, I might be interested in taking it... I know it's not working of course, but since I like to fiddle with things and "dive into the guts" in a manner of speaking, I'm sure I would get a kick out of the Sankyo machine... why not send me a PM and let me know what kind of price would sway you to let go of it... (ahem) [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC