8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Turning video into film... Crazy idea (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Turning video into film... Crazy idea
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 13, 2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed! ... I think that's what it all boils down to anyway... the sheer fun of trying [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2005 10:07 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago, one of our forum members(Lance A.)bought a super 8mm sound color feature offered on eBay of "House of Dark Shadows" which I guess was some kind of "boot". The seller suggested filming a few missing scenes with a super 8 camera off of the video, and then splice the missing parts into the film. I thought that was an interesting idea....don't know if Lance ever tried it? [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 13, 2005 11:13 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if he did, do you suppose that the resulting scenes amount to dark shadows and little else? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Phillip Black
Junior

- posted July 18, 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Phillip Black   Email Phillip Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
You should have no real problem doing this if you use a laptop. I have filmed video material off an LCD and had no roll bar problems.
NB This was continuos motion video PAL Format filmed at 24fps.
Using single frame should be better.

--------------------
Phillip Black

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 19, 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ARGH!

I wanted this topic to be about frame-by-frame transfer of video to film... not realtime filming of video as it plays (and the frame-rate issues that result from it)... So, anyone done this before, and what were your experiences with it? Let's stick with frame-by-frame here... please... can we?... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,
Are you asking about a frame by frame capture, due to the difference in the frame rate ratio from NTSC to Film?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 21, 2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I should probably ask... WHAT frame rate difference? [Big Grin]

I know what you mean, of course, but the thing is... much of what we see on TV nowadays (movies and current series), while filmed with video cameras, is actually shot at 24 progressive frames per second. Professionals have the choice to shoot 24p, 30p or 60i, and a lot of stuff is shot in 24p, then telecined back up to 60i for broadcasting... this is why just about any current series you can watch on TV these days has a "film" effect although it's not actually shot on film.
Now, if you display video files using a PC, on an LCD screen... these files will have been reverse-telecined back to their original frame rate... MPEG4 (XviD or DivX) rips of DVD movies are treated to this "3:2 pulldown", and DVD player software even does this in realtime. (Interestingly enough, when playing back such video files at normal speed, many frames have to be doubled up again because the refresh rates of monitors are typically much higher than that of TVs. Mine, for example, refreshes at 85Hz... or 85 progressive frames per second...)
So what's my point? Well, when you show video files one frame at a time, and capture them with a super-8 camera's single-frame feature, you will (in most cases) end up with a 1:1 transfer at the correct speed of 24fps. That's the whole beauty of it. [Smile] No need to just film off a "running" TV image and hope that rolling bars and flicker stay at a minimum.
I hope I'm making sense... if not, feel free to clobber me! [Wink]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,

This is very interesting information which I was not aware of.

Anywho, if you have software that permits you to save the captured material,
and convert it to 25fps for PAL, or 29fps for NTSC or 24fps, or 18fps. Then I believe that after the video is saved, you can open a file image sequence which will open each 'pict' frame by frame as you may see it on film.

To my recollection (from a previous experience a long time ago) when Adobe software made the Premiere version for Apple Macintosh systems, anyone could save the imported info at any frame rate that was standard to a Cinema system. (This included capturing soundtracks and saving at various framerates
too.)

By clicking on an exact frame in the timeline, the corresponding frame pict would display in the playback window, with the accompaning track in a separate time line below the picture timeline.

'Adobe', now only supports the PC Windows based Platform with versions of Premiere and it's junior version:Premiere Express.

This is due to, Apple's counterpart released versions of Final Cut, and junior versions of Final Cut Express.

I have Final Cut Express version 1, and I'm still trying to understand it.
But if I find out anything, I'll be glad to pass it along.

Michael [Smile]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC