8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 7500 projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 7500 projector
John Saunders
Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2005 10:10 AM      Profile for John Saunders   Email John Saunders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about buying a Chinon 7500 projector. I'm not familiar
with these at all. Anyone have any input on the quality of these
machines? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 29, 2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well.... Chinon made OK projectors back in the day, but they're really average machines, according to most people. The 7500 is a typical consumer model, one track playback/recording, an f1.3 lens, (I think) a 120V/150W DNE bulb - you might want to consider projectors using EFR bulbs as these are the cheapest and easiest to replace - and then, apparently, some Chinons tend to misthread and chew up film (not often, but occasionally).
I have a Chinon SP-330MV, it's a nice little projector actually but its sound quality is somewhat lacking, and I've been pointed by other forum members to a design flaw regarding the film gate - the film runs between two pairs of fixed metal pins exactly 8mm apart, whereas most film gate designs have the fixed pins on one side and moving, spring-loaded pins on the other side to allow for variations in film width (in the order of fractions of millimetres). So the Chinon's film gate will cause film that's too wide to bow slightly, decreasing focus - conversely, film that's too narrow will weave sideways and decrease image stability. The effects may be barely noticeable (I've not seen this myself, really) but it goes to show that while Chinons are OK projectors, they're not too well thought out in design.

Bottom line, go for an Elmo [Big Grin]

Incidentally, what features are you looking for in your next projector?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 29, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.......or a Eumig [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.......or a Sankyo [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 29, 2005 03:33 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or a Bauer.

Heck, just go for a Fumeo or Beaulieu. [Razz]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 29, 2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which raises the question Jan, which projectors do Forum members definately NOT recommend?
Here's my little list for what it's worth:
Chinon
GAF
Bell and Howell Super 8's(exception the Sankyo made versions, and the early 606/ Regent reg 8mm projectors which are beautifully made )

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 29, 2005 05:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chinon (mostly), GAF (or Wards or Anscovision) -- I don't necessarily agree that all B&H super-8 projectors are junk, the Filmosonic 600 is nicely designed for one thing -- but Argus would be another one to avoid... Keystone... the Kodak Ektasound models (horrible), and this next one I just have to put in bold capitals as the all-time, top loser brand to absolutely avoid at any cost: BENTLEY [Eek!] [Wink]

--------------------

John Saunders
Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2005 01:13 PM      Profile for John Saunders   Email John Saunders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I agree the Elmo's are great and another projector I really like (that doesn't get much publicity) is the Bolex SP-8. Have a chance to pick up one of those Chinon's fairly cheap, but having zero experience with
Chinon was just wondering if they were okay (or something to be avoided).

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 30, 2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, they're OK... but they will leave you wishing to upgrade rather soon. Mine did [Roll Eyes]

P.S., the Bolex SP-8 was actually built for Bolex by Eumig [Wink] I do believe the last super-8 projector actually made by Bolex themselves was the SM8, quite a beautiful machine. I hear it's a very good one, just kind of loud due to its large motor and all-metal enclosure.

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YO!!!!FELLAS!!!!Please don't completely bash the CHINON 7500!!!!. Hi John, I bought mine brand new in 1979 and it still runs like a champ. The only thing I had to replace was the spring belt. I ran literally thousands of films(a lot of the same ones of course), features and shorts, 18fps and 24fps, and it has never(with proper cleaning) noticably damaged or scratched ANY of them, or let me down during a showing. Some of my longer films which I shot and edited have MANY, MANY tape splices which all pass through smoothly when made right. The sound, and sound editing capabilities are excellent, with a very useful "sound on sound" control and VU meter. It also has a speed adjustment dial which comes in handy, and a very bright 150 watt DNE lamp. The only drawback to me is it doesn't have a separate on/off switch for the lamp. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 30, 2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never bashed it [Wink] and I do like my SP-330MV. It's just too basic - but if it had manual recording level control (it has automatic only) then I would love it. [Smile] But you're right... for what it's worth these machines run and run and run...

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 31, 2005 01:37 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, agreed about the SM8. It's a great projector, especially if you can find it with its Xenovaron lens.
Darn, there are too many good machines out there...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 31, 2005 02:34 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to that. [Smile]

Back to the Chinon 7500, there's one on eBay now for a buy-it-now of $50. At that price I would certainly go for it. [Smile]

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2005 12:12 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Just HOW did you replace the spring belt. I need to replace my belt on my 7000 and I don't know what to do...?

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 02, 2005 09:02 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned 2 of the 9500MV's, 330, and have used the SS1200.
The thing that i have always noticed on the machines is that sometimes when you go in reverse, or if the loop gets lost, the machine becomes like a film eating Great White. Its really crazy but I have never had a film break on me in the GS or any Elmo Ive owned. From the ST180E to the St1200 series. But the Chinons...all the splices I have from my digests come from the Great White Chinon machines. Lets see...it has eaten:
"Enter the Dragon","Elmo Stereo Sound Test Reel", "Winnie the Pooh", "Phantasm", and too many of my home films to mention. And these didn't have splices! (they do now) And then I got my Elmo.
I have had bad experiences with Chinon and if you were my friend I would tell you to save up a few more pennies and get a nice little Elmo! [Smile]

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 06:33 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I just acquired a Chinon 7500, excellent condition, looks brand new inside and out, seller said it was just used a few times then put back in the box.

Anyway, since you have had one since 1979, how do you clean the sound head? I downloaded the manual and there is no instruction on how to do this. My SP-330 has instructions for cleaning the sound head, but the 7500 design is different and I dont want to just start taking things apart without knowing what I'm doing. Any advice? Thanks.

By the way, the sound is fine now but I want to clean the head anyway before I start using it regularly.

John

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 11:56 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, Where did you get your replacement spring belt for your 7000?

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 03:19 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, the sound head is easy to get at, you don't have to take anything apart. With the front cover off, just depress the metal lever which is directly inside where the AUX out is on the front panel. Holding it down opens the film path and lowers the lower rubber roller. You can use a long swab with alcohol to get at the sound head. Brad, I got a replacement spring belt from Mark McWilliams (ProjectorBelts at mchsi dot com) I measured mine at 25 inches...works well. If you mention my name he'll probably recall my recent order.

[ November 15, 2009, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 03:50 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe. Nothing happens with the address you gave. It goes to a Google type of web site. Nothing about projector belts.

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 05:11 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Joe. That was easy! On the SP-330 you do have to remove the sound head to clean it.

One question: The part with the sound head on it isn't firmly attached. It can wiggle around when that lever is pressed down. Is this normal? I'm thinking maybe it's for self-alignment.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 06:20 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, try a capital P for projector and a capital B for belts....if still nothing, he sells on eBay as " isellprojectorbelts". John, i'll check mine and get back to you.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have the sound heads on a CHINON or any other brand actually crap out? I know the old Blackhawk catalogs used to give a life-expectency in hours for the sound heads on the EUMIG models they sold.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC