8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Noisy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Noisy?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 10, 2006 12:38 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you members may be aware.. I am selling my trusty GS1200. So tonight I took out the manual and greased the parts where it told me to if my GS was noisy. Well I did.. and guess what? Now it is very, very quiet. It is as smooth running as the new one I test drove. Kind of makes me want to keep this one! After all..once the new one is received I will have to put the capacitor for recording in it, and then ...who knows!
I just love the GS machines. They have to be my favorite machine of all time. Sigh..

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 10, 2006 02:11 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Tell you the truth, if I were you I'd keep the one you have on eBay and sell the NEW one after it arrives and you put that capacitor in and everything... just think of the bidding war that would ensue. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 10, 2006 06:41 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is so tempting..but the new one is Multi Voltage, in the original box, all the accesories are unused, has the remote, the Japanese Hang Tag in Yen....no...must sell...trusty...GS...must...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2006 07:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every home should have at least 2 GS1200's Alan.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 10, 2006 09:25 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to agree. Keep 'em both. Just so we all can sleep well at night knowing that somewhere, there's a brandnew/mint GS1200 in safe hands and a loving home. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
every home should have as many GS1200s as space allows.andy.

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Alan,
Can you please post some pics of the parts to be greased?
Cheers,
Dimitris

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 23, 2006 05:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dimitrios, All the plastic gears that you can see. Dont overdo it though as you will end up with the internals all covered with grease splats. Also put a very slight layer round the rim of the flywheel where the rubber drive is.

Other areas to look at are the shutter cam assay but this can only really be done with the machine stripped down.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 24, 2006 10:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dimitrios
As Kev mentioned its important to only apply small amounts of grease,Alvania Grease2. The GS1200 also can get noisy with a worn or loose drive belt. Adjust your belt tension by losining the motor screws, and adjust the belt like you would with car fan belt to get the right tension mid-way between the two pulleys.
5-8mm is what you want. When applying oil I use a syringe with a plastic extension from a CRC spray can as an example and apply no more than a couple of drops of Veedle 20-40 light oil onto the two main shaft bearings (one each end). Dimitrios do not use any old grease on the cam that operates your claw certain types of grease can affect the plastic bush that runs in the cam.
there is a special grease for this i'm sorry i cant remember what this is maybe Kev could add to that.
If you havent been in the back of a GS1200 be very careful with the push on speaker connection as you take the cover off and make sure your not pluged into the mains all though this may sound obvious just be careful.
Best of luck
Graham [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC