8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » waiting for a projector!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: waiting for a projector!
Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again! i'm looking for some advice-suggestions about the following: After receiving an e-mail on the 27th of March confirming that the projector i had already payed for had just been sent...i'm still waiting for it. It was a "buy now" purchase from e-bay and surely required a respectable amount (350,00 euros!) As the seller is on vacation ,therefore unable to answer my e-mails i suppose...what do you think would be the wise thing to do, except from hoping?!
Thank you!!!

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 19, 2006 09:16 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which eBay auction was it? There could be a number of reasons for the delay, both legitimate ones and not-so-legitimate ones...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 19, 2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it shipped Economy(4 to 6 weeks) or Airmail(a few days)? Did you insure it? What is the eBay item number? Where is it being shipped from? Inquiring minds want to know! [Big Grin]

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2006 03:32 AM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me for not giving necessary details: It's being shipped from Germany and i've payed 32.00 for the sh.costs. This amount is supposed to include insurance. I don't want to give the item number as this would do harm to the seller in case it's not his fault, besides he's a member of the forum and i respect that, for now...
Most important perhaps is the fact that in his last e-mail he wrote:you'll have the projector within this week...Based on his experience i suppose he knew exactly how long it should take.
Thank you for your interest Jan and Dan.

Stuart Mercer Thorburn
Junior

- posted April 20, 2006 05:48 AM      Profile for Stuart Mercer Thorburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From experience it takes a week from Germany to the U.K. so I don't think there should be much difference with delivering to Greece.

...can't you check on-line through the insurance/shipping code?

--------------------
My God, it's full of stars

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 20, 2006 06:42 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how giving out the item number is going to do any harm - after all, eBay auctions are public & for everyone to look at - but as for shipping from Germany to Greece.... I would think it more realistic to be in the 2-week range.... Then there's the question of whether Greece has any import restrictions that affect shipments of motion picture-related equipment. (Weirder things have happened.)

It REALLY would help to be able to look at the auction, though. [Wink]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 20, 2006 06:45 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how giving out the item number is going to do any harm - after all, eBay auctions are public & for everyone to look at - but as for shipping from Germany to Greece.... I would think it more realistic to be in the 2-week range.... Then there's the question of whether Greece has any import restrictions that affect shipments of motion picture-related equipment. (Weirder things have happened.)

It REALLY would help to be able to look at the auction, though. [Wink]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 20, 2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Jan! Tassos, if you want some of the members to suggest the wise thing to do, then we would need to see the eBay ad. I am assuming 32.00 euros is Airmail, especially with a week to two weeks delivery window. If the seller is a member and is on vacation maybe he or she will visit the forum and see this post. [Smile]

If you are concerned about the seller's reputation, then check his feedback or send an an e-mail to some of his buyers through contact member. If you're concerned about where it is in transit, you will need the insurance number. [Smile]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 20, 2006 11:06 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do know that a very reliable and good chap( from germany) on here is/has been on holiday at the moment as he mentioned it to me.
Was its a Bauer 610????? or similar.
If its the chap I know you can rest assured he`s very good to deal with and so is his stuff.
Good luck.
Best Mark.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I think I know who you mean and agree that if it is him then you have nothing to worry about. The shipping charge would be unlikely to be airmail and 10 days is not uncommon.

--------------------
Tony

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 20, 2006 09:11 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tony, the charge sounds more like surface mail. [Smile]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 20, 2006 09:34 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks like a case for Sherlock Holmes! If we guess long enough, maybe we will solve the mystery! [Big Grin]

The game is afoot! [Eek!]

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the projector and i am happy to find out it's almost as new. The post office couldn't give any good reason for the whole month's delay, anyway, surely was the seller not the one to blame! Thank you all for the interest and advice. And as someone claimed, yes, the man is trustworthy!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 24, 2006 10:15 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news Tassos, glad to hear you got what you wanted. [Smile] You never did say exactly which projector you bought, though - care to share it with the rest of us? [Smile]

--------------------

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2006 04:46 AM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Jan, it's a Bauer t510 which has suprised me for being so quiet and gentle with films. I have connected it with a stereo amplifier to watch my stereo films and i'm satisfied with both sound and picture, extended treble and steady picture. But as usually i again have something to complain about which in fact is a question concerning every s8 projector i've come across: Some treble flickering , a distortion resembling the film movement in film gate, as though it can't be completely isolated from sound heads, is more or less always apparent. Does it rather have to do with recording process?..
Thank you

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 25, 2006 11:15 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be that your Bauer just needs a little tune-up and cleaning due to old age. I'm thinking that either the soundhead pressure pads have worn off and provide insufficient pressure to keep the film running smoothly over the soundheads, or the lower sprocket wheel is jittering slightly due to the motor and drive mechanisms having to work harder than they used to, and not running as smoothly anymore. A lubrication job should take care of that (while you're at it, also check that the motor belt is still nice and tight). Hope this helps [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC