8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What the lamp codes are for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What the lamp codes are for?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 30, 2006 02:26 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been in 8mm for such a long tiome and never known what the codes are for. I am using Sankyo and Elmo 800 and what I always order is halogen bulb ("bowl" type) and 12v 100w.

But after 2 years joing in this forum I found that people talking ELC, EJL etc or sometimes A1/5 etc...

So what are they...

Can someone explain it in a lay way pelase,

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 10:10 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The three letter code is the result of an SMPTE/ANSI committee back in the late 1950s early 1960 to reduce the complexity of ordering projection lamps for consumers. Prior to that time the lamps were specified by a very arcane grouping of letters and numbers which specified the base, the filament, the wattage and voltage of the lamp. Thus a BAK exciter lamp is a T-5 Bulb with a S. C. Pref. [single contact prefocused] base and a C-6 filament design with a light center at 1 1/8 inch.
The EJL lamps is 200 watts, 24 volts, with a MR-16 bulb and a 2-pin base and a CC-6 filmament design and an over length of 1 3/4 inches.

Thus it was much easier for the owner to purchase the correct lamp and for the maker to specify the correct lamp, etc.

I think that the A1/5 is a similar system used in Europe, but Kev will be able to address that in detail (I'm sure).

John

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 30, 2006 03:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, I have been looking all day for that info and can only find the ANSI system for lamps. I will keep on trying.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 30, 2006 10:40 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The five types of lamps that are of interest for most of us are:

EFP 12V/100W, most super-8 projectors
EFR 15V/150W, for Sankyo Stereo-800, Elmo ST-1200, etc.
EJL 24V/200W, for 16mm projectors such as Eiki, and for the Elmo GS-1200
ESC 24V/200W, the "proper" lamp for the GS-1200, has smaller filament better suited for the super-8 gate
ELC 24V/250W, also for most 16mm projectors (the Eiki SSL-0 can take either EJL or ELC lamps for instance). Sometimes erroneously advertised to fit the GS-1200... it does fit but the GS-1200's transformer is not designed to handle a 250W load and may be damaged. Therefore use EJL/ESC lamps in the GS-1200 only

Hope I got all this right [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 31, 2006 01:29 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,
Thanks for a very lay explanation,it really helps me out.

Now another questions:
1. Are those series "bowl" types?
2. What is the different between EJL 24V/200W and ESC 24V/200W? 3. Why did you say ESC has smaller filament better suited for the super-8 gate

Thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2006 06:02 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teh ESC was designed specifically for use with the Super 8 gate. The light is focused to maximize the light going through the gate. The smaller filament is the major element in this process but I believe the shape of the reflector also came into it.

However, different manufacturers of ESC's had different results. By far and away the best was the genuine Elmo ESC; but these tended to blow comparatively quickly and cost substantially more than others. Amongst the best of the rest were Radiac and Wiko but please note there have been different results amongst lamps from particular manufacturers and so variations are possible. GE springs to mind - some are good, others put out the same illumination as an EJL (that cost half as much!!!).

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 31, 2006 07:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John/Jan spot on but I think we have lost the thread of this post.
John W has partly answered the question with his reply. Lets take the ELC 24v 250w lamp. ELC is the US ANSI system for lamps and refers to certain specs for that lamp but in Europe we use A1/259 for the very same lamp. I think this is a British Std but I cant find out how or why the lamp has this specific number.
I suspect that it was the next lamp to be added to the list and that each new lamp is given the next free number. But what does the A1/ mean? or is the arcane system that John W was talking of?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Followed this with a lot of interest. It appears from my research that A1/259 is what is called the LIF Code designation. Here is the actual definition:

definition of: LIF

What is LIF?

LIF code is an industry standard code system for the Lighting Federation of London, United Kingdom and is one of the main industry standard bulb codes.

Other important industry standards are ANSI and ECE.

Industry standard codes assure mechanical and electrical interchangeability for various manufacturers.

references for this page: LIF, LIGHTING FEDERATION

references to this page: ANSI, ECE

I found a number of sites listing both codes interchangeably.

Hope this helps answer at least part of the question.

Rick

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 31, 2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Rick. It would be interesting to now find out how they arrived at those numbers for each lamp type.

Kev.

--------------------

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 08:26 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my never ending quest for enlightenment (no pun intended) here is a reply from the Lighting Federation themselves:

LIF LAMP INSTRUCTIONS & SCHEDULE

CLASS CODE INDEX

A1
Projector Lamps for Film Projection, Slide Viewing etc.
B1 Projectors - Floodlighting Round Bulb
B2 Projectors – Floodlighting Round Bulb
CP Colour Photography
DC1 Halogen Type Document Copying
E Projectors – Epidiascope
F Projectors – Micro-projection
F/100 Dichroic – Micro-projection
FL Projectors – Floodlights
G Projector Lamps – Exciter
J1 Airfield Lighting
K Projector Lamps – Tungsten Halogen. Double ended
L Lighthouse Lamps
Loco Headlights – Bunch - filament types
Loco Headlights – Axial - filament types
M General Display and Miscellaneous Lamps
P1 Photographic – Monochrome and colour film – balanced for 3400K (photoflood types)
P2 Photographic – Monochrome and colour film – balanced for 3200K
P3 Photographic Enlarger lamps
P4 Photographic – Capable of being “boosted” in order that they may be used for film stock balanced for various colour temperatures

R Ribbon Projector Lamps
T Theatre Spotlights

According to the his email, the number afterword is actually the style and is assigned just in numerical order when submitted for classification.

Hope we all can sleep better tonight now that we know.

[Big Grin]

Rick

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 02, 2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice detective work there, Rick [Smile] Airfield lighting, huh? Wouldn't THAT be something to use as a projector lamp [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 02, 2006 04:44 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rick. Interesting info.

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC