8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm? (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm?
David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2006 02:48 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought of another film that I believe would be popular; The Party with Peter Sellers.

Just a 400ft with the best few scenes is all that would be required for my order: The Birdie Num Num scene, Howdy Pardner scene and maybe the shoe in the indoor stream!

Not too many Peter Sellers on Super 8 considering his output.

David

|  IP: Logged

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2006 05:37 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not an extract from "Pirates of the Carribean II" ....
... I found the scenes on cannibal island very funny ...

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2006 11:13 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Fabrizio and Steve,

it was right, that the negative from Pixars "Geri's Game" has damaged. But before this happens Derann made a few prints of this short. I have one in my archive. But this is not for a quality fanatic, there a many lines and some scratches on it. But the sharpness and colours are very good. A good friend of me has also a copy and he said the quality is the same.

Sometimes there are a print in the second hand lists, so look out if you are interested.

Many Greetings
Ralf [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2006 03:14 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm,
Both Geri's Game, and The Party
sound intriguing,
Andreas, I'm with you
on Pirates II.
That would be a good extract
and many more scenes would work
equally as well.
With a skilled hand
that feature can be
expertly trimmed
to a shorter running time.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 11:24 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to the list for "Wallace and Grommit- Curse of the Were-Rabbit" (or anything Wallace and Grommit).

I still want "Hardware Wars" too [Wink] .

Nick.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 09, 2006 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Grand Day Out with Wallace and Gromit"

-The World needs this Movie on Super-8

(They just don't know it yet!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 01:20 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Shrek" for me, we watch it every other month (it's the wife's favourite film) and I'm sure Derann could do it justice.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking it over, I would hope that Derann
would be able to put together a condensed
version of A Night in a Museum with Ben Stiller.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 29, 2007 01:43 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a really nice Pixar short on the front of Ratatoulle called "Lifted", could be a real winner its about 4-5 minutes long.

Graham. [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 29, 2007 04:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see a cult trailer reel put together providing master material could be found.

Quadrophenia
A Clockwork Orange
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

This would be something of a different themed trailer reel maybe with a few accompanying adverts from the period?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 29, 2007 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee I would love the chance to get a trailer of a clockwork orange too, its on the DVD of course.
I often just put the dvd on for the opening first few minutes.
I always found it funny that people thought that film could lead you on to vilolence etc as always put me off it completely.
Much as I like the film the whole thing has a sort of twisted uncomfortableness to it.
Best Mark.

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2007 10:13 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a particular fan of musicals, but to show off super 8 to its best I'd love to see an extract from Moulin Rouge or Chicago, or even an extract from Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. Now that would be cool...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 29, 2007 10:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what Stanley Kubrik was going for on "Clockwork" and apparantly, he suceeded with you.

Sadly, I always have the odd choice of what I would like to see on Super 8 as a feature, but my main pick, (still is, that is, besides "Curse of Were-rabbit") is "Dark City", talk about a film that would look absolutely stunning on Super 8mm!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2007 10:19 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, Dark City is a great film and would be pretty impressive in scope. How about Nightwatch?

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would I like to see in 8mm?

Well, here is a list of some features:
AIRPORT'77 ( 1977, Jennings Lang ).
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX ( the first version, starring James Steward,;etc...)

But most of all...

AIRPORT!
AIRPORT!
AIRPORT!
AIRPORT!
in great CINEMASCOPE!
Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase.....
I ORDER A BRAND NEW PRINT OF THE 3 FEATURES RIGHT NOW, DERANN!

Jean-Christophe.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2007 01:18 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there!.
Didn't notice this thread a year ago...
Personally my list would be rather vast and sometimes consistent with other memebers' (Nuovo cinema Paradiso is a good example). But I prefer to stick to Paul Adsett's opinion: we do need a title that should be full-length, stereo & scope and with live action. Maybe not too old. When I say "we need" I mean this is the best way to show (off) what S/8 is capable of: CGI animated films are perfect for modern LCD and plasma displays, in fact I seldom see them on stores showing a film with live actors. Reproduction of all the colours and nuances present in real life is a task modern digital equipment hasn't accomplished yet.

I'd love a print of A Few Good Men (great photography -Scope, great drama, great performances by both Nicholson and Cruise), Blade Runner (I love P.K. Dick's world), M. Antonioni's Blow Up (very 'metalinguistic' and indeed timeless), Coppola's The Conversation and of course, Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odissey
Just my tuppence

--------------------
Maurizio

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 29, 2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark H, did you know derran do the trailer to chicgao, its a great long version and also has the bonus of a matrix trailer on the end too. Both are cinema scope and looks great 4/3 as well.Both look and sound super.
I`ve never seen the film but the trailer is absolutely superb and I almost fancy Renne Zellweger when watching it too !!!!
Best Mark.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2007 10:29 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see any scope film, however, the ones I've seen are cropped so much on top & bottom that it occasionally cuts heads off. I got the measuresments of the 35mm frame(red) & super 8mm frame(black). And this shows just about how much is missing from the top & bottom:

-

I would love to see something like this, minus some space for the splices:

-

There is one release Derann has that is similar to the above which I believe was produced flat and squeezed up using something in the industry called a Disney squeeze, that film is: Trail Mix-Up.

Actually I'd love to see the ending to PHANTOM MENACE. Starting when the doors opening up to reveal Darth Maul to the end. I think this is the best light saber fight of any of the STAR WARS films.

OTHER FEATURE CHOICES:

MATRIX
X-MEN 2
DINOSAUR

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 30, 2007 09:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark.
I hear through my grapevine that that well known Super 8 film stockist is about to release Clockwork Orange Trl on 8mm, but I didn’t tell you that.

Nudge nudge, wink wink or I will get thumped for letting the cat out of da bag!

Take care my friend.
Lee.

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’d love if someone released the opening scrawl for The Empire Strikes Back in English to splice in to the German Super-8 feature.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 30, 2007 02:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

Actually, the "cinevision" prints of the late 70's early 80's were done in this way, with black borders on the left and right sides.

However, these were problematic as well, as splicing from the original editing of the film would show up. i noticed this a lot on "Rooster Cogburn and the lady" (John Wayne, K hepburn)
this was more so in the dark scenes, (the massacre at the indian reservation, near the beginning of the reel, you keep on getting these bright "flashes" at the very top at every cut from shot to shot). A nice scope release, to be sure, but it does show some of the problems with "cinevision".

I usually will just move the frame adjustment a little higher so i don't get "heads' being cut off.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 01, 2007 02:04 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 01, 2007 04:53 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee I need you do nudge nudge me with some info quickly.
Best Mark.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2007 09:20 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty,

A&C Meet Frankenstein has been released
as a complete feature by Foster Films
just a few years ago?

It has German titles.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 01, 2007 11:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

As wonderful as Paul Foster is, he does not put out new releases. "A&C meet Frankenstein" was a german import via Classic Home Cinema.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC