8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your Screening Room Pictures. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12 

Author Topic: Your Screening Room Pictures.
Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 16, 2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

What a setup! I've projected from inside a house to the outside patio, but never the reverse!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can I say, Doug, you know what it's like to strive for well-tuned show, and for us this setup is the only way to do so. Hey, I did reverse it once on a comfortable evening, with the screen hung on the shed, kids watching on the patio! But couches & beanbags are more comfy.

Now if Paul just had several rooms to rent in his house, and the bi-coastal commute were easier... now there's a setup to drool over. Not to mention Graham's, and others like Rob's "Excelsior." Amazing work, gentlemen.

What about Dan's? (Hi Dan -- bought some old school films from you a few years ago on Ebay.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 17, 2008 12:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Set-up Bill. I need to revamp my set up before posting it on the website. Still gotta figure out how to put the silly photo's on the forum.

Still have those reels waiting for ya Bill.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 05:18 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a neat set up Bill. I've also done it in reverse like Douglas on a nice summer's evening. But you're right, there's nothing like a cozy bean bag chair to watch a movie from.

I see you also have the Cano-sound! We are a rare breed. Its a great little back-up projector, though. One neat thing is how it re-loops itself when it encouters a bad splice, where as on most projectors I would have to push the thread button a couple of times, or stop the projector and re-thread.

But that one projector way up on those milk crates. Yikes! [Eek!] I'd be scared to death to do that. You are a brave man Bill. [Smile]

James.

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 09:57 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a nightmare once that one of my projectors fell off a high surface! LOL [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 18, 2008 01:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill
That's excellent, it's nice to see film projectors in action and everyone taking it easy, those bean bags are great, thats what this hobby is all about great stuff Bill.

Graham. [Smile]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2008 03:23 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the very kind responses, gentlemen.

Yes, the CanoSound will play badly torn film. It's also fun in the fact that film is steadily projectable from the very first frame, and rewinding/fast forwarding is possible while loaded. But it's quickly developing problems that I don't know how to get fixed, particularly frame registration.

RE: projector high on the boxes, yes, this could turn into a nightmare. However, the table and crates are exceptionally steady, I don't let kids out there, and all surfaces are covered in no-slip mats -- under crates & bricks as well as whatever the projector sits on. The latter fact isn't obvious in the photos but is really, really helpful. Accidents can happen, but so far, so good.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2008 08:11 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is cool can you tell me about the CanoSound unit who makes it?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...from the same people who brought us the legendary Canon 1014XL.

It's a great little unit but is certainly not trouble-free. Which is scary since I bought mine as NOS, so there's likely less than 100 hours on it. Still a mystery who in the world has a service manual or would service it.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2008 02:36 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Canosound projector was (I believe), the last super 8 movie projector released by Canon. It came out around '78 or '80.

It is very basic as far as options- 400 foot capacity; 100 watt bulb; single track sound; f1:3 lens.

It is a good quality projector, not cheaply made, but as Bill said, its not easy to be repaired. I sent mine to eso-s years ago for a broken belt. After about a year, it came back and I havent had any problems with it since.

James.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Just a few pics of my modest semi-permanent cine room.

-
Used the room for the first time recently; 5 of us fitted comfortably on the couch. (Bloody murder getting it up the stairs though!)
Floor lamp is on a dimmer switch.
Room is bigger than it looks; had to compress picture to upload.

-
Screen is remotely operated. Once door is closed left hand speaker is moved across, in front of the door.

-

-

Dave

[ May 15, 2008, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Dave Cragg ]

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 18, 2008 10:21 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Very nice! I'm glad that uploading problem got taken care of.
I'm so jealous of folks who can keep a permanent (or semi-permanent) screening room set up.
Are there pull down shades for the windows or do you black them out some other way?

Doug

--------------------

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2008 05:07 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Doug.
I need to get some sort of blackout curtains, especially as the nights are now drawing out.
I can just imagine Warden Hodges shouting " Put that light out!" from outside!

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 22, 2008 05:51 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

This is the set-up of my permanent home theater. But if you want to get back to the history of the room, you can proceed by reading this post first.

In a brief, I have three collections and they have to be accommodated in one room, i.e movie, train model and LP records.

Below is the photo taken when everything was still in progress

-

This is the screen when it was made:

-

I can put blackout curtain to block the outside light coming from the window, but since I also collect train models, I've made movable shelves to store the train and toys. The rail I used for the shelves is those used for domestic sliding door. So it's easy to find and to install it. Since the shelves were made from thick wood, therefore, when they cover the window, they will totally block the outside light. As a result, I can get a pure dark room during daytime.

- PICT1205_001

I am happy with these shelves, since I can now watch movies during the daytime, when my eyes are still fresh (previously I had to do that during night time and I had to struggle with my sleeping time. It was very often I found myself fall asleep).

Below is the two projectors that always with me (Elmo 800 & Elmo ST1200HD):

-

and these are my Columbia's collection together with the audio system (a very modest set-up for this). They are: on the top is AKAI 8-track cartridge (remember this? "Grease"), Equalizer, Technics radio tuner, Technics Tape-deck recorder, Denon integrated amplifier, Sansui Dual Tape-deck Recorder, and Technics CD Player:

-

Now, I have also another hobby of collecting records, or perhaps more to be a bedroom DJ. Therefore, I also put my 2 DJ Turntable, Technics SL 1200 MK-2

-

The mirror ball is seen on the below photo and another photo from the other angle when the home theater becomes a mini discotheque.

-

And finally, kids are enjoying the show.

-

cheers,

[ May 19, 2018, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 22, 2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Very impressive! I couldn't tell from the photos....are the projectors in a separate room as originally planned?

Doug

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 23, 2008 01:41 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

I ordered this project to a building company who was also doing my new house. In the blue print it was drawn with two separate rooms (as my initial aim). However, the contractor could not finish it due to certain circumstances. I did of course cut the payment.

However, I eventually found that having two separate rooms will be too crowded in that limited space. So, lucky me and blessing in disguise, the today's set-up has more spacious rooms and I save a lot of money. [Razz]

BTW, I have edited the above post by adding some more pictures showing the home theatre can also be converted to a mini discotheque!!! cool!! ... [Cool] , [Cool]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2008 06:51 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winburt-

I love it! It's like a time capsule to the 70's, with a touch of modern technology. It actually gives some dignity to equipment that was made 30 years ago. Young people today don't realize what high quality audio and visual we had back then.

I used to want a separate projection booth, but I actually like having the projector in my viewing room, as it adds to the atmosphere (as long as its not a noisy projector [Wink] ).

Congradulations on a job well done!

James.

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 12:53 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, all 8mm forum members.
I just changed my screening room around, but its a little messy... I'll take some pictures soon (my screening room is also by bedroom).
EDIT: HERE ARE THE PICTURES!

-

My shelf of Popeye collectables (im a big fan of popeye). Also notice the 1930s-50s (im not sure which) Christmas lights. My 1946 REVERE EIGHT 8mm projector is also on a shelf with its original instructions manual!

-

Here's where I keep my films.

-

Here's a cool "charm light" I bought at a garage sale (I THINK its from the 70s).

-

Here's 3 of my projectors (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: Eumig MARK 610 D(super 8 and 8mm silent), Mansfield Customatic (8mm), Chinon 6100 (super 8 sound) (needs a new lamp again)!

-

These are tapes of various kinds (reel to reel, cassette, 8-track)

-

This is the computer in my room. It has great sound (3d sound and YAMAHA midi drivers). It's a Windows 98 Computer.

-

This is my wall (again). Notice how it has been updated with all 3 Super Mario Bros. NES games... (wrong forum... lol)

-

This is the 1960s-70s EMENEE organ that uses air to play music, not electronics. It sounds great and its fun to play.
-Joshua

[ August 01, 2008, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Joshua Vega ]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2008 08:08 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua- for a young person, you seem to have quite a taste for older, nostalgic things (movie projectors, 8-tracks, etc.) That's really neat, and you don't see that very much with the younger generation today.

Keep up the good work!

James.

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 11:44 AM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joshua- for a young person, you seem to have quite a taste for older, nostalgic things (movie projectors, 8-tracks, etc.) That's really neat, and you don't see that very much with the younger generation today.

Keep up the good work!

James.

James,
That's one of my unique qualities. I like old electronics, video games, old cartoons, and of course, old projectors (especially the ones that work [Wink] ) and old films.

EDIT: the only tv in my room (right now, not in the pictures) that's set up is a 1960s black-and-white Admiral Tube TV.
-Joshua

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just the same as a kid. I loved going to jumble sales and buying reel to reel tape recorders and old radios with my pocket money, but I would often end up breaking them as I was always the curious type to open them up inside.

I still love old electronics now. Its a nice feeling using something that is decades old which probably wasnt designed to last that long, and you can keep it going. On a similar note I would love to keep my projectors going for as long as possible. Just imagine using the GS1200 in say 50 years time with all the complex stuff inside it. [Wink]

Graham S

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 12:51 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was just the same as a kid. I loved going to jumble sales and buying reel to reel tape recorders and old radios with my pocket money, but I would often end up breaking them as I was always the curious type to open them up inside.
I was just like that when i was younger, but now I don't take apart electronics unless they're broken (like i even know how to fix them... [Confused] )

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,

Thankfully I dont break things now but I was always doing that when I was young. I remember my sister had one of those cheapo jewellery boxes with a wind up ballarina and musical tune mechanism. I remember my mum and dad saying to my nan "Dont let graham get hold of it, he will break it". Sure enough I did get hold of it and I did break it within minutes.

Yes Ive always had a fascination with Reel to reel tape recorders. Mabye its the good sound quality or the big reels that I can watch going round. Ive still got 2 now and a number of tapes. I was also interested in collecting different media's. I nearly bought an 8 track player and tapes from a boot sale once but I was undecided about it and it went by the time I decided I wanted it. I only got into cine when in a junk store I thought what was a reel to reel tape on the shelf (due to the box), and it turned out to be a standard 8 film. I still bought it then I wanted to get a projector to play it on and I found one in another store, a Prinz magnon super IQ. Then a friend told me of some silents in a charity store near me so I purchased them and projected them on a white painted door. And as they say, the rest is history. [Wink] [Smile]

P.S I still have those films and the Prinz [Smile]

Graham S

Roger Manning Jr
Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2008 03:04 PM      Profile for Roger Manning Jr   Email Roger Manning Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to pics of mine.
http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/RogerManningJr/Screening%20Room/

[ August 06, 2008, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Roger Manning Jr ]

--------------------
Roger Manning Jr.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 06, 2008 04:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Roger.

Thats quite an old model B&H, isn't it? It's in excellent condition.

-Mike

All times are Central
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC