8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your Screening Room Pictures. (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Author Topic: Your Screening Room Pictures.
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 21, 2012 12:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have made a few changes to my Home Cinema in the past few weeks.
First I repainted the walls in a darker beige color, and then I added a black light baffle onto the ceiling above the screen and some burgundy panels onto the ceiling over the seating area. The purpose of this was to reduce light scatter form the walls and the ceiling back onto the screen, and it has had an amazing effect in boosting picture contrast in both film and digital screenings.

-

-

-

[ July 21, 2012, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 21, 2012 01:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful screening room Paul. Great job!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 21, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin & Paul,

Terrific screening rooms for two collectors at different stages in this great hobby!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 21, 2012 01:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi and Doug- it's been a lot of fun and is, of course, a work in progress.
And Austin - I started off just like you but with much lesser equipment than you have - a lowly hand cranked projector with a 10 watt bulb!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin...you did a great job! GAF looks good and I too like the shelf with films on display! Very nice!

Bill [Smile]

[ May 23, 2016, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2012 05:08 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Are the picts from the actual projected film, or a reference to show the depth of the images.

The scope is beautiful.

How are you able to adjust the black panels around the film screen?
Are they also curtains that open and close by electrical power, or are they
moved manually?

The set-up is comfortable and gorgeous.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 21, 2012 08:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Michael for your kind comments.
Unfortunately it is impossible to take these kind of pictures with an actual projected picture, as the room lighting has to be turned up considerably in order to photograph the room, and under these conditions the screen picture is 'washed out'. So, as is standard procedure in all the home theater magazines, the picture is a composite. However the screen pics are the same size as I get on my screen for 4:3 and scope, and are very representative of the picture quality that I get in a darkened room with digital projection.
The screen has remotely powered masking, which I did myself. It has left and right panels which move in and out for the various widescreen and CinemaScope format ratios. There is also a movable top mask which comes down for just a little bit of top masking for 2.35 CinemaScope, and comes down further for 2.65 Technirama and super 8 scope. The curtains move on a different track than the masking and are independantly controlled. Both the curtains and masking are controlled via an RF remote. The room ceiling lighting and accent lighting is also dimmable via RF remote.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2012 09:08 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

This is fascinating insight and
you have this down to a science.
"It's the stuff that dreams are made out of,"
and made the dream a reality.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 07:57 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone and Paul lovely screening room (:

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2012 11:30 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice room Paul were are the Star Wars posters? And Austin you got a nice start nice going kid!  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2012 12:12 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks (: I changed it around a bit ill post pics again soon (:

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My projection room is shiftable. living room or little office or on the road. Here are the projectors I use, B&H Filmo Regent 8mm, B&H Filmo Diplomat 16mm, Bolex 18-5L Super8, Elmo Sound St800 Super 8, Bolex M8 Standard 8. Also a B&H 285 16mm with amp sidelined.

-

-

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2012 12:47 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard I love the old school projectors. Those things run like little tanks....

OH How I envy those of you with permanent set ups. Someone please make sure this housing market turns around so my wife and I can get out of our condo and into a house and I can finally get a home cinema again...Like Richard mine is mobile, because I have to be able to take it down when not watching films. Here is how it looked this afternoon..A 6 foot tripod screen..I will hopefully be mounting an 8 foot screen in the next month as my wife has finally consented to allow at least that much of a permanent set up in the condo...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 02:50 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been very fortunate to have a place made available to have regular film screenings here in Berkeley. This is normally an office so, my set up is simple and portable. Today, I took a few pictures to show you what the room looks like when you come to see a film but most importantly, how I run the sound out of the projector.

Here's the room from the lobby, tonight we had a Super 8 show and watched Pigskin Palooka then, Sons of the Desert in honor of the Superbowl. There were 6 people in attendance, not bad considering it was Superbowl Sunday so, many of us prefer an alternative...watching film. Tonight, the Kodak M100 took care of it on two 800' reels:

-

So, the sound has to be good for these films since, the ceilings are very high and no insulation because the building is from 1918! The music has to be just right or it could come off as muddy because of the acoustics. The first thing, is to get a cable for your projector to connect into a DI box. Here is a less common 0.210 inch jack plug to RCA for the Kodak M100:

-

Then, I plug that into to the DI box input to clean up the sound and hum from the tube amp. You connect out from an XLR to 1/4", 3.5mm, or RCA to balance the signal:

-

Finally, I take the out from the DI box and connect that into a Tescam 4 track recorder 1/4" in. mic plg and the Tescam goes "line out" into a Tanberg Reel to Reel that works as a pre amp and rear speaker:

-

The Tescam controls both the tape player and the sound from the projector. The Tandberg, now working as a mixer, has a 3.5mm line out cable that plugs into Dell computer speakers with a subwoofer :

-

The speakers were found on the street then, donated to our film club!

-

Here's a picture of the room before the screening:

-

Here's a picture after:

-

As you can see, everyone has a great time when the sound can be tweaked so you can hear the dang song in the film! This is really a simple and portable set up for film projection and I've been doing it for a while since I got the DI box, it really helps minimize noise and feedback from grounding issues, especially in an old building such as The Tannery.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted April 07, 2013 06:33 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the room as it is now ... Still something to be done (want a motorized screen)

-

My film shelf (not DVD's, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or Laserdics) and there's a little more 16mm on the left side
 -

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2013 03:01 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have finally finished my upstairs theatre after working on and off for almost two years. Will post some pictures for you as soon
as I can!
Roger

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2013 12:04 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Vidar! I like the white shelves...looks like a cozy film room.

Can't wait to see the pics Roger!

Bill [Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted April 08, 2013 08:07 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, it's not perfect as the ceiling is just 198 cm and I'd love to be able to have stairs down to the screen so more seats could be used. Can only fit about between 5-8 people. Most difficult with 16mm actually as the 1.1 lens for the Elmo makes it possible to be put closer to the screen and thereby bypassing some heads and arms of audience ... But, have to make use of the space one does have :-)

And looking through the different setups, there was a few I really felt the envy (Return of the Jedi too ;-) )

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2013 08:52 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here are the Upstairs Home Theater Pics as promised. We finally figured out how to resize, load and add them to post. Hope you like them! [Cool]

-
This shows view of set up (EIKI RT-O 16mm and ELMO 8mm 1200 HD and run the sound through kenwood receiver), film collection, posters & theater seat (courtesy of Harkins Theater)

-
Screen shot with vintage Laurel & Hardy statues and kettle popcorn maker in RH corner. Polk bookshelf speakers on pedestals.

-
Re-creating theater experience with lighting

-
Another view of the wall to show the posters

-
Super 8mm Film collection. No room for 16mm

-
Back view with set up and both theater seats

-
Shot of the other wall, note 35mm film reel clock with 16mm hands. Clock works, the hands and numbers glow in the dark. Table is film editing station.

[ May 28, 2013, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Roger Shunk ]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 27, 2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Roger.
[Smile]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2013 09:15 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger...class man! Lookin'good. I want to un-clutter my cinema and make it more like a theatre. It's my work area and where I store my collection so I am use to it being...cluttered.

Nice job.

Bill [Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2013 03:24 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Roger,

It's a nice set-up and I have the same Laurel and Hardy statues.
They are at least 40-43 years old and I got mine new.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 28, 2013 06:47 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific Roger...!!!! What are you using for a projector stand?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2013 07:02 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh thanks Jan for your nice comment!
Yes I had to really search for the right stand and found for my needs a stereo/audio component rack/stand. It has adjustable glass shelves but you can't adjust the height of the rack so for me it had to be the perfect height so that I could project onto the screen.

Oh Jan forgot one thing the top platform is big enough to put two projectors on because I think it was designed for a TV to set on the top.
Have a magical day!
RS [Cool]

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2013 10:51 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few pics taken after overhead light baffle was completed. The first two were taken without flash and the last one was taken with flash while projector was running just to show the overhead light baffle itself.

The credit really goes to Paul Adsett for suggesting I install an overhead light baffle on the ceiling. It does make a big difference in the picture quality and picture contrast for both color & B&W.

-

-

-

All times are Central
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC