8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » sankyo stereo 800/user report/view. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: sankyo stereo 800/user report/view.
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2006 10:48 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike-

That broushure brings back memories! That was the very one I had, that got me to purchase the Sankyo ST-800 over the ELMO GS-1200 [Eek!] .

That picture on the front just looked "too cool" [Cool] , and I could'nt resist. Just goes to show you the power of good advertising.

I carried that pamplet around with me to school (11th grade) for almost a year, until I finally saved up the $500.00 I needed for the purchase.

Good memory!

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2006 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick

Glad you liked it, it is a great front cover picture isn't it?! Strange how modern it looks and yet so very seventies!

I've got loads of brochures, mostly for Elmos and Sankyos and they are great pieces of seventies nostalgia. If there's any interest I'll happily post some more on here.

I've also got all the Movie Maker Magazines from 1972 through to about 1985 and there's some great stuff in there too, again I'll happily post stuff from there too if anyones interested... [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
A great idea there Mike.Go for it.Andy.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2006 06:52 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike-

If you happen to come across a product review for the Cano-sound or the Bell and Howell 33ST (or broshures), please let me know. I bought both of these projectors used and have been looking for literature on them. Thanks!

P.S.-
Did anyone else notice the race car in the broshure with "SANKYO" on the front of it? Wow! Thats like seeing a "DERANN" blimp floating over the superbowl football game [Big Grin] .

Nick.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 07:36 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the greatest stereo 800 ever.Andy.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 10:03 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andy for bringing this review to the surface. [Cool]

Very interesting reading from a whole host of members,a machine that's worth a lot of thought if your intending to upgrade.

I was also thinking whilst reading,that as this forum has a print review section it would be great to have a Projector review section,somewhere for those of us that are not familiar with all aspects of the machines on offer.
Also if you see an interesting Projector on the bay or whatever then it would be great if by a few clicks on the 8mm forum you could get a run down on the machine.

Just a suggestion [Wink]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 10:37 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter

If you're interested, I have the Movie Maker test report for the Sankyo Stereo 800 scanned. If you'd like a copy, send me a pm with an email address and I'll zap it off to you.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 11:59 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a PM Mike, Many thanks

Got It, Time to sit back and have good read - Many Thanks [Cool]

Oh WOW and another on the 700.

Many Many thanks [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the odds that this actually works and won't take hundreds of dollars and countless hours to fix?
Sankyo 800

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2007 08:33 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear,that's in a bit of a mess,i suppose for spare parts it might be handy for someone.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 08, 2007 10:40 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still got mine for sale.... perfect working condition.... with accessories.... *ahem* I know, wrong forum, but hey.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 09, 2007 02:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that projector did not come from a Skip? It does look a mess and perhaps missing parts. Best leave that one.

I am looking for the better lens for the Sankyo 800. The F1 jobby. Anyone help drop me a PM.

I do also like the Sankyo 800 and if memory still serves it was the first stereo machine I got my hands on when a London company had a massive sale on due to video cameras taking a grip. The best one I have is like new, and is good just to look at let alone use.

We are a sad lot....

I converted my 702 and one 800 to take 1200ft reels some years ago. If you have a spare machine you are not so fussy about it have a go, its worth doing.

1:Offer up a 1200ft reel on the feed arm and you will see you have to cut away the corner top of the lamphouse cover. Do this with a small hack saw.

2:As the film exits the left hand drive sprocket you will have to shorten the black film chute. Un screw this and also the black cover behind the volume knobs etc. You can now pop on a 1200ft reel onto the take up arm. Leave this on as you mark the chute ready for cutting. You will need to secure the shorter chute end with something to the machine and I used Araldite.

3:Double check you have very smooth edges on the film shoot before you fix after cutting.

4: Job done.

Now you can rewind on the machine, but as 1200ft of film is quite heavy I use rewind arms. If your rewind belt is slack you stand no chance or rewinding on the machine.

Depending what Sankyo model you have other sections of the lamphouse may have to be cut away, but check the areas of the machine which need cutting before you start just to make certain you are happy.

I would not do this mod on a treasured machine, but perhaps pick one up on ebay just for 1200 reel use?

The first machine I did was completed around 20 years ago and its still going strong...
Good luck.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2007 04:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Now on its way to John White for service/repair.Andy.
p.s I hope it's not in the same condition as my GS1200,eh Kevin?.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 16, 2007 05:35 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Fingers crossed mate. Take it the GS is still running ok?

I have to say that I still have a soft spot for the Sankyo 800. I had one of these some years ago and they are a delightfully simple machine to use. For though the letdown was the lack of control etc for recording and no pulse sync which is why I eventually got shot of mine in favour of the GS.
For a simple machine with a great spec the Sankyo fits the bill well.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2007 03:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Kevin everything with the GS seems fine.except the two reeler of Tora Tora Tora.The GS doesn't like that one!.
We ref. to the Sankyo stereo 800,well i still called it the greastest 800ft machine every made.It was the second machine i every had,and dispite the gate wear..a real beauty of a machine.Andy

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2007 03:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
It should be in the hands of John White now!hears hopin.Andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well gentlemen,got word back from John White.He says that the sound is faulty,and if heis unable to fix it,then he will send it back unrepaired.I know the sound is still there,i lightly push up the plate that is below the sound heads.That brings the sound back on.
I am now depressed,because i dont want to lose this excellent machine.Anyway i will post again,with the full results,when i get it back.Anyone else wanna have a go,if John White is unable to sort it out?.Andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2007 09:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Guys.Got it back today from John White.Things done were as follows.....
1/Dismantle projoctor for replace shutter assembley.
Cam follower also replaced.Cam lubriccated.
2/Pinch roller cleaned,sound head removed/replaced 4 small presure pads,heads reset.
3/auto threader mechanmism adjusted and reset spring supplied and fitted.Tonoral check.
So how much do you think that cost?..
Shipping/P&P was £20.00
Labour & parts £30.00.
Total £50.00.
I would think that's excellent value for money.What do other forum members think?.Andy.
P.S The Sankyo is back....

[ August 02, 2007, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Wilson ]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2007 02:03 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew- That's an INCREDIBLE price! I wish someone in the U.S. could offer this service at a good price like that.

Let us know how its running, after you watch a few reels.

Have fun!

James.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2007 05:15 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
What a top guy. Can you pm me his address? I have a Eumig that needs TLC and perhaps he is the man to bring it back to like. I am not looking to sell and make a "buck" I just want to see it back and working at a price that does not break the bank....

--------------------
Tony

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 02, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got my first 800 in the 80's I converted it to 1200ft spools which was a simple job. If anyone is interested pop a request here and I will post details in a week or so.
My 800 came with a 1.3 lens instead of the 1.4. I asked Vic Oddens when they were selling them off cheap if I could have one with the 1.3 so they changed the lens.
Bless them.
The machine is still going strong although I did change the gate a few years back.
Just completed our Star Wars tribute night and its now 00:05 so bed time. What a great scope feature SW is.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

Here is Johns Website. I have used him a couple of times myself, and his service is excellent.

John White

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,I think John White went on his hols this week.Andy.
P.S Tony you have a P.M.

[ August 04, 2007, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Wilson ]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2007 07:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought i give all you members the low down.Well the machine worked well for a week;but then a new problem has raised its head.The shutter sometimes refuses to run at all.I know this is must certainly NOT John White's doing.It's just one of those things.
Well anyone....Any thoughts?.Andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 10:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Now on it's way back to John White to get sorted.Andy.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC