8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Introduction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Introduction
Philip Borgnes
Junior

- posted July 31, 2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Philip Borgnes   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Borgnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I just wanted to introduce myself as an 8mm newbie member here since I'm just starting to get into this format. I have been bitten hard by the 16mm projecting bug and have been acquiring film and equipment for my outdoor movies I put on in the summer as well as portable exhibitions I do throughout the year. My main interest are in maritime films (sailing, boating - pleasure and commercial) with the goal of creating a maritime film festival here in the Pacific NW. Just a few weeks ago we screened for the second year an outdoor movie here in Seattle at the Center for Wooden Boats. The feature this year was "Captain Tugboat Annie" along with a couple of maritime shorts. Last year we showed "Tugboat Annie" with the orginal tug from the movie in the background. How cool is that?
Now I've branched off to include 8mm and Super8. I recently picked up a very nice Bolex M8 standard porjector and H8 camera since I'm interested in doing some filming as well. Now the quest is on for a Super8 projector with enough umph to lit up a big screen. So here are a couple of questions that I'm hoping you all can help me answer:

I've been trying to narrow down what projectors are out there that would work well. There is an Elmo ST-1200M avaialble on eBay, but I don't know anything about Super8 projectors. Apparently you can record audio with it, but how does that work?

I should also add that in addition to the Bolex H8, I also picked up a Super8 Leicina Special so if I could shoot and then record some audio with it that would be cool.

Are there other projectors with at least a 150 watt bulb available that I should consider?
Would the Elmo ST1200 be a good machine?
Does anyone know what the lumen output are for various projectors?

Thanks!
Philip

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 31, 2006 10:04 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Philip, and welcome to the forum.
Considering that there isn't that much choice of 150w+ machines, you can't go wrong with an Elmo ST1200. Try to go for the dual-track version (ST1200HD) which will play stereo sound films (even with a mono output).
Then, it all depends on your budget. A good working GS1200 (with 200w power) will cost around $1500, even more if you go for an HTI or Xenon machine.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 31, 2006 10:23 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philip,

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the world of 8mm! Glad to see you've taken an interest in this great little format. I took a quick look on eBay and I'm assuming the ST-1200 you're interested in is the two track model that I came across. As Jean-Marc said, the ST is a fine machine that has what you seem to need in a projector. Unlike 16mm's optical track, Super 8mm sound film (normally) has both a main and balance magnetic stripe along the edges that you can record on. The ST-1200 2-track has recording capabilities for both tracks. If you use this site's search function at the top right, you'll find a vast archive of material relating to both the projector and various recording techniques.
If you have any questions about either cameras or projectors you are absolutely in the right place since we have so many knowledgeable and helpful types here.

Best of luck!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 31, 2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Philip!

Maybe I can contribute with a list of nautical themed sound Super-8 films available brand new from Derann?

SAILING WITH UFFA FOX Yachting 1 x 200`

SHOPPING FOR A QUEEN Look At Life. Restocking the liner The Queen Elizabeth 1 x 200'

THE LAST BATTLESHIP The Vanguard's last voyage before the breakers yard 1 x 200'

DREADNOUGHT Pathe Pic. Britain's first nuclear sub 1 x 200ft.

DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS Pathe Pic. Various country’s fishing habits 1 x 200ft.

CITY OF SAILORS Look At Life. Portsmouth’s changing face. 1 x 200ft.

Not to mention the feature length "Master and Commander" on 7x400' (No!, wait! I just mentioned it!) This was a recent one time run of prints that still seems to pop up here and there.

(Licensed for home viewing only of course!)

http://www.derann.com/

Happy sailing!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 31, 2006 01:44 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome to the forum, another newby, brill.
You wont go far wrong with the Elmo 1200HD, it has the 150w bulb with a low and full setting to maximise the bulbs life. [Wink]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 31, 2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or how about a Sankyo Stereo-800... also has a 150W bulb and can record/playback stereo sound... mine's still on eBay.... *hint* [Wink]

While I'm at it, some other projectors I know that have a 150W lamp (and nice lenses to make the most out of the available light) are Bauer's T50, T60, T5xx and T6xx machines, the aforementioned Sankyo, and I think the Chinon SS-1200 a.k.a. Revue Lux sound 80 (if I recall correctly). Oh, and the Beaulieu 708.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2007 12:25 AM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i came across this 1 yr old article.
and it stuck me to see that i can actually record sound onto a already processed super 8 mm film through various projectors.
wow. i didn't know that at all.
as you can see. im really unfamiliar with this format. especially when i see you guys talking about the different types of print that 8mm movies/cartoons are on. LP ect.
can anyone give me a little introduction on film prints?
think it might help me in choosing prints on ebay.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2007 12:44 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Louis,

Yes that is true (even I only did it once). If you have a good projector with recording facility, you can re-record the sound fron different sources (the best one is from Laser Disc).

If the one we are going to re-record is a full feature, then, it is easy since the duration and the edit are (almost)the same.

The hard thing is if we have only a digest. We have to re-edit the LD in the computer to be the same cut with the digest. After that then we play it simoultaneously to re-record the sound to 8mm.

Otherwise we can also do raw ercording when we play and pause the projector. But the result is always poor (and this is what I did once)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2007 07:20 AM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can we still re-layer after we have recorded one track?
say if you make a mistake.

Oh and what about prints.
how many kinds are there? i see DCR, DERANN , LP ect,
are those the printers themselves?

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2007 04:56 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Philip. You'll find a great bunch of people here with mounds of information. I am in awe of their expertise and downright friendliness. Have fun with your new format. [Smile]

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2007 04:19 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, yes you can redo the sound many times if you make a mistake.

There are only very few distributors still producing new films for the collector. Derann Film Services, Classic Home Cinema and an elusive distributor in Germany.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC