8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Anyone shooting super 8 this summer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone shooting super 8 this summer?
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2006 12:56 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to all-

I was just wondering if anybody else was using thier super 8 cameras this summer.

I just recently got back from vacation in Niagra Falls Canada (beautiful, by the way). I decided to shoot in super 8 cinemascope, since the scenery up there is so vast. I shot at 24 fps. I used two Kodachrome carts and two of the new E-64 (my first time using these [Eek!] ). I just sent all the carts to Dwayne's Photolab in Kansas, so I should have results in about a week.

I used a cheap mini-casette recorder for some brief on-screen narration by my 16 year old son (could be last childhood family vacation with him, since he'll be graduating high-school next year [Frown] ).

I suppose I'll have it sound-striped at EVT and add sound effects, music and dialog later. With a little luck, the production will be ready for a Christmas holiday movie show!

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if I'm the only one shooting this summer [Wink] .

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 08, 2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished shooting some Super 8 Tri-X and some Ektachrome 64T. Well the EK 64T didn't look that great. But the Tri-x was simply stunning. I can't wait to try out the K25 and the 100D in DS8 that I should be receiving this week.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 08, 2006 05:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently shooting the last of my pre-paid Kodachrome. Since I've been doing too much of the fun shooting (going out to locations and getting the main footage), I'm actually buckling down now and doing some real work (as in making and shooting titles).

I have about four unfinished films , so there is a lot of this kind of stuff to do before September 25th and the end of pre-paid processing.

After that: Editing!!! then back to Plus-X!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 07:16 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shooting heaps as always. Just shot 8 Kodachrome rolls and still have some more including sound rolls that I will hold over.

I too have lots of titles and sound work ahead of me, I just enjoy the shooting so much I get behind in my editing. I still have 16mm in the fridge too so I think it's time for another doco on our suburb, or maybe the drive-in, no more on the kids, wait I have not shot at the beach for a while, hold on...................................................

David

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 10:17 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot 4 reels of Kodachrome at a TR weekend on 2nd July. That leaves 4 reels to shoot before the deadline. I was thinking about doing a day in the life of London but just don't seem to get the time.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2006 01:55 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have ordered some E64t and 100d from Wittner and am waiting for that. Meanwhile I have shot one expired Agfa (1990) and shipped it of to Frank's place in the Netherlands for developing. If it turns out ok I'll shoot two more of them and definitely use my Nautica for some cool underwater shoots.

Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2006 02:52 AM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some days later I will travel to Korsika with 18 Kodachrome 40. I will use my Nikon R-10 and the Nautica. [Smile]

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2006 05:00 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some days later I will travel to Korsika with 18 Kodachrome 40. I will use my Nikon R-10 and the Nautica.

Wow! 18 ! you have a lot of shooting to do before mid-september.
I find the images from the Nautica (and also the mini 3) to be great, and some underwater shoots from there would be great to see. Please post some when you get back.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2006 03:13 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick

I find myself with a whole batch of Kodachrome cartridges which I shall struggle to use before the last date for processing so have come up with the idea of filming street scenes in my home town. They might not be very interesting at the moment but with the fantastic archival qualities of Kodachrome they will hopefully provide an interesting record in years to come if how the town used to look used to look!

Looking forward to trying out the new E64T at some point soon, where are you UK guys getting yours? I see the Widescreen Center have a processed paid deal on offer, does that work out competitively?

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2006 07:56 AM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I had a few charts left, but I happen to have loads of K40 left. 15 (!!!) are still new (7-2005)and about 15 are various older dates.
I also have about 15 K40 sound charts left.
Of course I will shoot as much as possible (especially the sound films are great when I film my kids), but if someone wants any (sound or silent), please send me a PM.

Hans

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2006 11:58 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell (via filmshooting.com) the deadline for pre-paid developing of K40 by Kodak in Switzerland is at the end of Sept. However, Dwayne's in the States will continue to process for as long as kodachrome of any gauge is produced. To all you fellow Europeans out there, yes, you'll have to pay for processing, but why race to "use up" the last of such great looking stock?
Sam

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2006 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just filmed a wedding using Kodachrome 40 at the weekend,{which was great fun with the younger members asking to view the footage}Have got my last 4 to use on holiday in a weeks time which i'm quite sad about in some ways,still when i get them back you can't beat watching that masterpiece you created on the big screen...Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 15, 2006 05:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Yes!.

Timelapsed a sunset using K40 on a weekend away two weeks ago. My friend's 13 year old was fascinated. He asked if I had to put a "tape" in the camera, and I said it was on film. He got a glazed look in his eyes (happens a lot with this kid...), so I said "You, know!!: many, many tiny pictures, one after the other with sprocket holes next to them!" and he said "Ohhhhhh!!" as if he'd heard "Each unit of matter can be converted to an equivalent quantity of energy a magnitude of the speed of light squared as large".

When I came inside with the camera and tripod he asked hopefully "Did it come out?"...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2006 04:50 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm waiting for 6 carts of K40 to return from Kodak. (It has been my first attempt to shoot in Cinemascope and the Kowa got dis-aligned just from staring at it. ... I've got a single K40-cart to re-shoot any scene that didn't worked out... .)
This evening I'll shoot a cart of Cinevia to test my Fujica P2 / P2 Zoom... ooopppsss... you've only been asking about Super8... [Wink]

Jörg

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2006 09:19 AM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

I use a technique very similar to yours. I like to record some location sound and narration with a minidisc recorder, to end up mixing it all in post. I love to edit the film physically and get it soundstripped in Stereo. The sound is mixed on the computer, but then recorded on the magnetic soundtrack of the film(I use one of www.super8sync.com devices). Beautiful results.

This summer I'm shooting some kind of documentary about the life of my friends with E64T and a Leicina Special. An Eumig 881 for long-time exposures. The basic idea is to interview them (only in audio) and with that info shoot some creative footage about their lives and their current projects.

About the scope issue, do you have any recomendations for a newbie like me? Type of lens, model of camera, tips,... any help will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Marc

--------------------
Marc

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc,

Who does your sound stripping?

Sam

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I send the films for stripping to Andec in Germany. They always do a really fine job and the prices are OK. Take a look:

www.andecfilm.de

Good luck!

Marc

--------------------
Marc

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 06:33 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*shriek* Kodak has changed the way they're returning the processed K40! For the last ...hmmm... 10(?) years I've been sending my exposed carts to Kodak Stuttgart (Germany) and got them back processed from Kodak Switzerland - with custom-declarations on the envelopes, ... . Now my films came back in a large envelope from Kodak Stuttgart - this first made me cry since I feared that the films haven't been processed at all... but they've been processed and I'm eager to watch them the next days...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC