8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Screen paint & surface?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Screen paint & surface?
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2006 06:00 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please forgive me for this, I know its been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the forum back files.

I am getting ready to build a scope screen using white paint on a smooth surface. My question is-

What is the best surface for a (moveable) screen. And does is have to be pre-treated before being painted (i.e. primer, etc.).

Also, what is the best paint to use.

Thanks.

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 11, 2006 08:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick
For something light that can be moved a sheet of hardboard might do. Nick how do you intend to attach it to the wall so it can be removed? and how big are you planning to make it? For painting I would use a fine roller to apply a few coats of a water based white sealer/undercoat, giving a very light sand between coats.

Finally with the roller build up at least 3 coats of a good quality Vivid white matt water based paint. Once all this has dried and with masking tape work out your black border and apply a few coats of a black matt school board paint or equivalent, and there you have it, a cheap screen that will do the job nicely.
I understand in the US there is a screen paint you can use I did inquire about it out here but it was a bit expensive .One good thing about a painted surface is you can always give it a few more coats in the future if the needs it. Look forward to here how you get on.

Graham. [Smile]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2006 06:19 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham!

The screen will be between 9 and 10 feet wide (cinemascope). I will probably hang it with hooks at the top. I'll try to get started right after the holidays.

Nick.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 15, 2006 12:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing, absolutely nothing beats a 5x12 sheet of white formica kitchen countertop. Glue it to a wooden frame built out of 2x4s and tape off the edges with black gaffer's tape for masking. The resulting image is phenomenal and the reflectivity is amazing and can be viewed even at extreme angles.

Nobody ever believes me when I tell them about formica, but just trust me. You will NOT be disappointed.

It's really cheap too!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 15, 2006 12:37 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Isn't that formica a kind of glossy thing?

So, wouldn't the light from projector also be seen on the screen then?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 16, 2006 03:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick
Just a thought it might pay to brace your screen if you do use a thin sheet, with strips of wood e.g 2 inches wide and about half inch thick over your 10ft length as a backing, you could glue them with PVA wood glue "great stuff", and simply lie your sheet with something, heavy old books etc on a flat floor with your bracing wood underneath while the PVA goes off.
A generous black border e.g 3 or more inches really makes a difference to the picture quality and most importantly it has to be matt black no gloss at all. Nick I hope you dont mind my ramblings and whatever choice of screen material you use a 10ft Scope screen will look really good.

Years ago a friend built his own Curved Scope screen and what he did was to run a string line tied to the bottom of the GS to the wall and holding the string tight moved in a arc from his centre line giving him the measurements from the wall "clever stuff". The end result was impressive, the screen really looked good The amazing thing about this subject is the inventive ideas people can come up with.
Graham [Smile]

[ November 16, 2006, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2006 10:35 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have experience with Screen-GOO? I'd like to try it on hardboard, right now I use a huge scope ratio canvas primed with white acrylic gesso and stretched, then covered with a super-opaque flat white Naz-Dar screen ink.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted December 03, 2006 04:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, you would think it would be a problem, but I assure you it is not. A formica screen has essentially no hot spotting issues and a much wider viewing angle than most screens provide.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2006 11:48 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert, you would think it would be a problem, but I assure you it is not. A formica screen has essentially no hot spotting issues and a much wider viewing angle than most screens provide.
I went to the local Home Depot, no formica, and the clerk said when they used to have it, it came in a role. That didn't sound right, I was expecting 4' x 8' sheets or something?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 06, 2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Timothy
I think this is what you are looking for, pretty sure this is what Brad is referring to. The photo is a left over from a 8ft by 4ft sheet about 20mm thick used for bench tops, shelfing etc. This sheet is refered to here as Melteca which I think is just another name for Formica. A full sheet like this is very heavy are you looking at a permanent set up?
 -

Roger Manning Jr
Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2006 01:12 PM      Profile for Roger Manning Jr   Email Roger Manning Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Formica is great for screens, Thats what I have a 5'x8' on a frame I built out of 1/2" plywood with a curve "sorry Brad I know you don't like curved screens" Looks great for 16mm and video projection.
And yes Formica does come rolled up it's about a 1/16" thick, But Home Depot and the other homes store is not a good place to get it, Your better off getting it from a cabinet supply or cabinet shop. I own a millworks shop and I can get a 5'x8' for around $36.
I'll do my best to get some pics of my screening room up soon "I know Dan wants to see it"

--------------------
Roger Manning Jr.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2006 02:47 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well............I was surprised to read about formica. Seems like it would work but not for me. I have a true theater screen with speakers behind it. I have had great results with standard flat latex white paint. It was carefully rolled on with the screen hanging. For masking, I attached strips of 1/4" plywood strips that were painted flat black first and then attached to the screen. The screen is threaded and stretched using rubber bands on screws installed to the frame through the grommets on the screen edges. If I were to rehang this screen, I would scrap the rubber bands and use giant extra long standard tie-wraps for a tighter stretch. The rubber bands have been holding for 3 years now, and none have broken yet due to the elements of the basement.

CG

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2006 02:06 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the formica info! Has anyone projected film and video on one? I'm set up for both.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC