8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Brand New Scope Super Eight "Thunderball" Value?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brand New Scope Super Eight "Thunderball" Value?
Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2006 12:01 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a brand new "lab mint" Super Eight scope feature print of "Thunderball" (United Artists, 1965). It's an LPP print and was only run one time to check the magnetic soundtrack. I am going to eventually buy this title in 16mm IB Technicolor and scope since this James Bond film is my most favorite title. What would the current value be of this brand new pristine print? It is on seven 400 foot reels in magnetic sound. As everyone know's this does require a scope lens. I might eventually sell the lens and stand as well.

Thank's,

--Tom Pennock

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 14, 2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could only give an assessment, but I'd say around 200.00. I say that as that would be around what you'd get from a collector, perhaps a little more. The curse with super 8 is that film is like a new car; you drive it off the lot and it drops a couple thousand dollars. The same is true of super 8. A lot also depends on how available the print is; is it a common print, for instance?

Another factor is the company that produced it. If it a Derann print, then it is worth more as the collector knows that it is the "cadillac" of film prints. What film lab, as well.

That, and just how much the particular film is desired.

A good case of this is a collector that put two super 8 prints on ebay, "Speed" and "The Abyss". He was wanting 350.00 dollars for these prints, what he basically would have paid for them brand new. Not suprisingly, the films didn't sell.

If you were to put this print on ebay for instance, (Thunderball), start it at 200.00, which would mean you wouldn't be ripped off on the print, and for all you know, people might bid it up a lot. But if you place too high of a starting bid, you'll get ripped off.

OH, and don't go to a professional seller of Super 8, as with any professional; "Buy low, sell high", you'll never really get a good price from them.

I hope the advice helps.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom I'm interested in this print. You've got a pm.

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2006 10:59 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dimitrios:
I just sent you a pm reply.
Best, Tom
P.S. I see you live in Greece. Feel free to e-mail me at: tapennock@aol.com

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2006 07:16 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print is currently listed on e-bay. Item number is: 320049514694
Thank's!
--Tom Pennock

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2006 09:26 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Super Eight feature print of "Thunderball" in scope did not make it's reserve and ended at around $100.00.
I will do like I do with ALL the Kellogg's Corn Flakes" I eat here in Cereal City. I will eat the print before I will sell it for $100.00 or $200.00 for breakfast.
--Tom [Smile]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 21, 2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I guess that's better than burning it. [Big Grin] Of course eating Thunderball could have it's repercussions. [Big Grin]

I'll bet it will sell if you list in late January or soon there after. That is if the reserve isn't way way up there. [Smile]

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan:
I don't have a problem digesting processed film stock. It's just the raw film stock that gives me trouble!!! [Smile]

The "Thunderball" Lab Mint Super Eight scope feature print is no longer available for sale. Thank you to everyone for your interest.

--Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 23, 2006 11:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was your print on ebay. It's all a matter of demand and sadly, as stated earlier, we can almost never get for the print what we'd like to. Most of a films value is in the personal value we put on it ourselves, (which is, of course, far higher than the "market" will allow.)

I do hope, if you should try to sell it in the future, that you'll have better luck. At least, (if I know that print), it's on a very good non-fading L.P.P. film stock and it will retain much of it's resale-ability for the future.

The funny thing is that there are a lot of newer film collectors, (I think a lot of them are like me, we grew up with super 8 as kids, and were getting back into that fondness for distant memories).

The only problem is that a lot of the newer collectors, (that I have talked to) don't understand just how expensive this hobby was, and in most ways, still is, (new prints from England, for example), and so they aren't willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for films.

but, as I've said before, we sure as hell aren't in it for the bucks, were in it for the mystique, the magic of that projected image!

--------------------

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2006 11:24 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi:

Yes, my print was on e-bay and it had a reserve. It only reached $100.99 and closed. Someone later contacted me and offered me $300.00 for it but for the time being I have decided to keep the print.

I sure do like my IB Tech 16mm print on this title in scope. Struck during my childhood in 1965/66. The print waited all these years to get to me.

Best Regards,

--Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 25, 2006 10:25 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, honest to God, I don't know who your potential buyer is, but 300.00 for a feature like Thunderball is a pretty good selling price, I mean, I see prints of "Alien" and even Star Wars going for 300.00 on super 8. Usually, the older films, (that is, films from the golden age, 30's -60's), get a lot less, A LOT LESS), so I'd sell, if it was mine.

It's all about what the market will allow. There might be just one person who will pay 300.00, where most would only pay 200.00 tops.

It's only advice, and I wish you the best in selling it. Selling is all about timing, selling it when the demand is high ....

... and quite frankly, demand for super 8 isn't at it's highest right now, which is why most real film collectors are hesitant to move many good prints on the market.

all the best!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC