8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » causes of a blown lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: causes of a blown lamp
Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2007 05:21 AM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to all, i'd really appreciate knowing your opinion about which could be the cause of projector lamps getting easily blown, taking for granted that the voltage setting as well as the lamp itself are the correct ones!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 03, 2007 05:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
You dont say what machine the lamp is in but from my experience lamps going brown is very often caused by lack of air flow across the lamp when the machine is running.

The lamps with integral dichroic mirrors also tend to show blistering of the coating round the base of the lamp again due to lack of air flow.

Some machines are more prone to this than others due to their design.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 03, 2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an intersting lamp story. I was recently trying to put a new lamp in and it wasn't fitting well on plug-in,

(I'll call it that),

I had it half on, and it wasn't going on the rest of the way, so I attempted to take it off and try again. The
actual "hood" of the lamp,

(I'll call it a hood)

CAME OFF, completely. I was mortified. These things aren't cheap! I thought, what the hell, i pushed the bottom half of the lamp all the way on, and then fitted the "hood" back on.

It works fine! It hasn't worn out yet and I've had it on for at least 20 hours now.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi when those things happen you leave them as they are as long as they work. Kevin i am refering to a Bauer t510 super 8 projector, and i was just curious wether this could have something to do with a worn tranformer. The lamp won't last more than 8 hours of projection...

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2007 05:13 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you measure the lamp voltage? 5% increased voltage means 50% decreased life of your lamp...

I had a similar problem with a Bauer machine. Although the mains voltage setting was ok, the lamp voltage was too high.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 03, 2007 06:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I would agree with that too. Have you checked the voltage at the lamp when it is on. I too suspect the voltage is possibly a little too high.

What is the voltage in your country and did it come from a country with a lower voltage. If we get a machine from Europe it will be set for 220V and if that is not changed and run on our voltage of 240v here in the UK the lamp life is really short.

Kev.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC